I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Ok, I know that this is for things that follow us home, but what about I WISH IT WOULD FOLLOW ME HOME :) I recently took a trip (haha snooping is fun) behind my office to where the are scrapping an old foundry not expecting to find much of anything and within just a few minutes I was slobbering all over myself at the sight of two large Nazel hammers, some huge vertical bandsaws, several grinders, belt grinders, drill presses, huge buffing wheels and all kinds of other goodies just sitting there so lonely. I know that if I had the means I could give them such a better life. sigh...

p.s. I will try to get the pictures off of my phone so you can see how lonely they are :)

OK, here are some pics

2190.attach

2191.attach

2192.attach

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the blower and saw that I picked up in the last week

The blower turns with the finger tips and will run several turns after you let go. It needs a wooden handle for the crank and I had to remove the mouse nest from the blower. I went to with my wife to her chemo apointment last week and was talking to a gentleman who was also there for treatment, we got to talking about blacksmithing and he said he had a old blower in the garage that he was going to get rid of and that I could have it if I would use it. He hated to see it used as yard art.

The saw required a belt and some adjustments but runs like a charm, it uses standard 12" hack saw blades. It came from Craigslist also, $25 and a $7 belt.

2188.attach

2189.attach

Ok, I know that this is for things that follow us home, but what about I WISH IT WOULD FOLLOW ME HOME :) I recently took a trip (haha snooping is fun) behind my office to where the are scrapping an old foundry not expecting to find much of anything and within just a few minutes I was slobbering all over myself at the sight of two large Nazel hammers, some huge vertical bandsaws, several grinders, belt grinders, drill presses, huge buffing wheels and all kinds of other goodies just sitting there so lonely. I know that if I had the means I could give them such a better life. sigh...

p.s. I will try to get the pictures off of my phone so you can see how lonely they are :)

OK, here are some pics

WOW Jeremiah, are they just getting rid of that stuff?!??!??

ApprenticeMan:

I dont know if they are for sale but I am in the process of finding out. I do business with a friend of the guy who owns the property. ;)

WOW, that would be cool if they are A) selling them, or B) getting rid of them, and would be glad to have someone haul them off for free.

A friends dad is cleaning out his shop. He was a prolific metal artist in the 60's here in the Phoenix area. Did a lot of stuff for the local banks - mostly large torch cut murals. So far I have adopted a 150lb Peter Wright anvil, a 4ft cone mandrel, an anvil stake, a sheet metal break and shear, a ring roller, a pickup load of sheet steel and copper along with some solid bar stock, a big grinder (needs a new cord). Nice guy - he is fun to talk to.

A friends dad is cleaning out his shop. He was a prolific metal artist in the 60's here in the Phoenix area. Did a lot of stuff for the local banks - mostly large torch cut murals. So far I have adopted a 150lb Peter Wright anvil, a 4ft cone mandrel, an anvil stake, a sheet metal break and shear, a ring roller, a pickup load of sheet steel and copper along with some solid bar stock, a big grinder (needs a new cord). Nice guy - he is fun to talk to.

Nice Dief, do you have any pitures of his art? Good scores.

I found this on the local classifieds yesterday for $25. The guy said it was in his back yard when he bought the place and he just wanted it out of the way. The champion blower works great. He was just happy that someone would get some use out of it. :)

nice! A good working blower alone for $25 is a great deal, and now you have a portable forge :)

Valentin, I have seen a power hammer die kinda like that before, it was made for nail making, you would draw the nail out on the flat part, and then put it into a header and the end of the nail would stick down in the hole in the die wile you forged the head. Maybe it was used for something like that??

Could be for heading, but with the sweetspot on the flat die like it is and the oblong slot in the other section of the die you would need to use a correctly sized bolster/header to make your heads. With practice you could freehand that pretty well especially if you laid a kiss block on the flat die to tell you when you had the correct thickness for what you were making... Of course you could build a set of spring swages that would size your rivet stock, and cut your head to length and extend over your bolster hole and form your rivet head... You would probably want to have the spring swage hinged and a little longer than normal so you could have it act like a flat spring... if you know what I mean;-) If it was hinged you could lift the top of the swage to insert the rivet into the bolster and then drop the top of the swage and whack it a few times to form your head...

Was drivin' ta site this mornin' when my boss rang me , first thought was " what ave i's done wrong now ? " He asked where i was headed for , i told him , he then said i need ta get my rear inta workshop this arvo cos he had a pressy for me . I arrived at the workshop after finishin' off the jobs i had ta do & he walked me out the back of the shop , sittin' next ta the steel bin ( scrap ) was an " old " 36" guillotine , he was told by his boss ta dump it inta the scrap bin but thought i'd make better use of it . And with that i was told hook up the trailer ta my van & load it cos if it was still there tomorrow mornin' in the bin it'd go .... now i've just gotta figgure out how i'm gonna get it off the trailer & inta shop ( thing weighs 500 kg's )

Dale Russell

Dale, you climb onto the trailer with the Guillotine and yell "FREE BEER" then you tell the resulting crowd of "friends" that the beer doesn't come out until the machine is *SAFELY* in your shop.

Back at my old house/shop I had a large tree that would take about a ton/tonne on a chain hoist, very handy. Out here most trees I can see over the top of, (mesquite) and I've been looking for a hoisting platform.

Thomas ,
around here they'd wanna " sample " of the goods first ( & that leads ta more samplin' & nothin' gets done )
Timber yard / hardware store down the road has a forklift , gonna ask him ifin he'll lift it off & put it inta shop doorway for me ( sling him a slab , less chance of any 1 gettin' hurt that way )

Dale Russell

That is 4 pieces of flat bar 2-1/2" wide, a little over 4 feet long, and 2 pieces about 24" long. Total 20 feet or so of flat bar. Cut it into square sections and that is 96 base plates for hardie tools.

AND you have to have somewhere to store the new hardie tools. Somehow a couple of parts containers found their way into the car while the door was open. Imagine that.

I was talking with a tailgater I have enjoyed working with for several years. Whitesmith (my son) politely interrupted and ask if he could "borrow" some money for a tool he saw. Sure, here. That is when I saw MY cash go from my hand, to Whitesmith's hand, to the tailgater's hand, faster than it takes to type about it.

He had scored a 5-1/2 inch jaw post vise !! It was in the tailgaters pickup under some wooden boxes of junk. The only marking we could find was the number 80 on the outside of the mobile jaw. Photo is the vise in the as received condition and has not been cleaned up yet.

I was talking with a tailgater I have enjoyed working with for several years. Whitesmith (my son) politely interrupted and ask if he could "borrow" some money for a tool he saw. Sure, here. That is when I saw MY cash go from my hand, to Whitesmith's hand, to the tailgater's hand, faster than it takes to type about it.

He had scored a 5-1/2 inch jaw post vise !! It was in the tailgaters pickup under some wooden boxes of junk. The only marking we could find was the number 80 on the outside of the mobile jaw.

Maybe you could borrow it for awhile...

Glenn,
Nice score. You trained him right!
When you said "That is when I saw MY cash go from my hand, to Whitesmith's hand, to the tailgater's hand, faster than it takes to type about it."
It made me think of how many people would give just about anything to be able to say that, as opposed to say the cash went to drug dealers hand etc.

That 5 1/2 inch jaw post vice looks so pretty. I would let him use it in the shop during the day, but then I would keep it in my living room at night.
I would use it to crack nuts and hold my beer! That way you will get more of a return on your investment.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Hello.
I have, over the past while, made several nice finds from work/play and running team. I don't have pikkies right now, but I've gotten:
a 7 lb sledgehammer head (which will make a nice fork/bladesmithing anvil)
many pair of huge hefty broken tongs (which need cleaning and smallening of the jaws)
a 50 lb old fisher anvil,
many many chunks of leafspring from along the side of the road (like, 6 in the past 3 weeks during cross country team runs, some are great for bladesmithing, others I have no idea, maybe as thick fuller hardies)
4 feet of 1/4 inch rebar (I made some nice hooks out of it)
a hot cut,
a subtle curve bender hardy,
a rusty old hot punch (which needs some sanding but is perfectly good)
and a host of other old nonsense. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzley right now. :D