• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wife and I were walking our dog on a trail that used to be a railroad (part of the Rails To Trails program). This really wanted to follow me home but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I saw it and exclaimed, "oooh! I could use that!" to which Ashley rapidly and firmly said, "No. Leave it." 

It's okay, I now know where it lives and will go back for it with tools when the need arises. 

received_5632065333556172.jpeg

Shaina, it looks like that track plate is secured to the tie by at least one spike.  Spikes are hard to remove from ties unless you have a very long pry bar (about 6') or the tie has deteriorated enough that you can break the wood away.  If I had to take the whole thing, tie, spike and plate, home I would attack it from the wood side on the theory that the wood is softer than the metal and easier to get into.

Track plates can be a source of steel.  I have seen them used as a hardy or or other tool holder on a bench.  They can be used as an improvised anvil but they are not as good as a piece of rail.  IIRC they are low to low medium carbon.  Others may have more suggestions for use.

BTW, since you are on a public right of way on the trail I wouldn't have any legal qualms about picking it up.  It is as abandoned as an aluminum can dropped by someone.  The same isn't true on a private railroad right of way.  Although certain smiths I know (ahem, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more) have been known to pick up the occasional piece of steel along the railroad when the opportunity presents itself and to accept the risk. 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Sure, just put a ring terminal (of the proper rating) on the end of your grounding cable and attach it to the back end of the bolt on the right side of the jaw.

(Speaking of which, the section that is sticking out the back appears to have coarser threads than the section between the jaws. Is that some kind of threaded stud on the outside, with a smaller bolt threading through the middle? That would be even better, as you wouldn't have to adjust the cable attachment every time you adjusted the jaws.)