I Forge Iron

It followed me home

1 hour ago, Duncan M said:

I picked up a saw makers anvil today for 50$. I got it from a sawfiler who was moving shop and didn't have any use for a flat topped anvil. I weighed the anvil when I got home and it came out at 96.5 lbs. 

I'm not sure what the make or age of the anvil is but if anyone recognizes it that would be great.

that is neat my great-grandfather and my grandfather where trained saw-filers and though he has some amnesia due to CO inhalation i think my grandfather can still do it, might be like riding a bike you learn it and it sticks

M.J.Lampert

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Morning Duncan,

Welcome and you got a good deal on the Sawyers Anvil. A circular Saw blade needs to have a dish shape when it is sitting still. When the saw blade comes up to speed, it straightens out. This is done so the blade is always in tension and the blade will stay straight and cut straight, instead of following soft parts of the wood. The Sawyer knows how much dish he wants and he needs a flat face to create the dish.

I have a couple like that one and I have one - 4 times the size.

Neil

The guy that I got it from is a 4th generation saw filer and I was at his shop with my Dad to get some band saw blades sharpened for his mill. We also brought in an old single buck crosscut saw to learn how to sharpen it. He doesn't sharpen them anymore but was willing to show us how it's done. While showing us how to set the teeth he asked if I wanted the anvil. I couldn't pass it up for 50$ and he gave me a jointer as well for sharpening cross cuts.

$20, marked down to $10. It was a lucky find, as I had gone in to get some elastic to replace the strap on my safety goggles (it's a combination used bookstore and 5&10) and decided to browse the books to see if they had anything I wanted that would get me over the $5 minimum for a credit card.

Your timing stinks Billy. You aren't supposed to say APRIL FOOLS!!" till people bite. <SHEESH>

My Father and younger Sister couldn't tell a joke to save their lives. Dad usually led with the punch line and Shannon just got lost. You'd get along with them and a joke round robin.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Morning Billy. How're you doing? Sunny and warm here though it was just overcast enough to block view of the aurora last night. Clear as a bell night before but I didn't know they were out so strongly so I didn't look. Maybe tonight. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Well I’ve been better but all things considered I suppose I’m doin good

it snowed yesterday and it’s 60 degrees and sunny today, tonight we’re expecting thunderstorms,

a couple days ago we had tornadoes pass north of here, so just typical Oklahoma weather here lol

Happy March 32!

81 pounds out of the scrapyard, heavy hitters being a small chunk of RR Rail and a screw jack for a larger pickup---I had a small and intermediate one, now a larger one to round out the series.  I like to use them for lifting LOADED workbenches to put them on rollers to move them.  Some more conduit, 5 RR spikes and a clip for Iron in the Hat tomorrow, old acetylene tank key, sq and triangular. A T post for the fence around my wife's garden, some galvanized fence pipe to attach the gates to for her garden.

The scrapyard had a fire and most of the yard was off limits as it was being "investigated".  Having the New Mexico FireFighters Training Academy  just down the road in Socorro probably had something to do with that; much more interesting than the typical house fire.

It’s finally here. (Didn’t follow me though.)

C1F0C1BB-F49D-4E59-9AF7-B9AE262B8AF6.jpeg.7ffd9bb52acca86f413b7c3ed6e8a095.jpeg

D39655C9-0586-4613-968A-14E7D3FD7A9E.jpeg.cac34fef4f28caee516371e301f8cb32.jpeg

A8E34F62-9071-4B1E-8DA4-EF3CC3A94AA4.jpeg.70e5d5169edc5684797684e7ba34a18f.jpeg

Anyang 108#, with COVID19 issues delivery was way longer than I expected, but nothing that could be done to prevent those delays.

Finished the shop side wiring, powered it up, and did some testing. I’m really happy with it so far! Tomorrow will be the first forging session.

David

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Having the New Mexico FireFighters Training Academy  just down the road in Socorro probably had something to do with that;

The fire or intensive investigation?

Congrats David! 

Frosty The Lucky.

I know pretty much everyone on my local VFD there a great bunch, 

There was an old guy, every one in the county just called Bugs, he passed away last fall,

but he used to joke an proudly say mid county VFD never lost a foundation! Lol

but in all seriousness they really work their hind ends off with very little thanks or recognition,

our local VFD is made up of dairy farmers, ranch hands, small business owners, some boys from the rural water department, young an old men an women ect… but they all drop what their doin when there’s a call for help,

around here they do do everything from search and rescue to pulling people outta wrecks, to swift water rescue when idiots try to cross the creeks during floods as well as handle any fires that pop up

birthday was the first and i got some goodies at the local wood retailer from top verawood 2x2x12, Madagascar ebony 1x2x18, and african blackwood 1.25x1.25x11 may make 2 piece handles with oak and blackwood

IMG_0435.thumb.JPG.27e6b8798d73069d8cce4ecdc3f1db4d.JPG

also got some hot peppers, habaneros, Thai chilies, and jalapeño