I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I always check the "readers for readers" part in the local newspaper, and yesterday someone wanted to give away an old wagon wheel for free. I drove there to pick it up, the thing was massive! It's about 140 cm in diameter. The guy also tossed in an old wall anchor he said came from an old restored church. He mentioned it being from around 1400-1600. So that should be wrought, and I'm hoping the wagon wheel is too!

~Jobtiel

IMG_20220310_150047.thumb.jpg.d030220083f0dbd94b22c1bf166a8d31.jpgIMG_20220310_150107.thumb.jpg.294d0a7e24b10fdd4414286dfa3dc736.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked these up at restore for $7 for the axe and $1 for the 3/4 wrench that I didn’t have any of before. 

The axe is a Plumb axe. I’m pretty sure that is a good brand, but not sure how old it is, and what the quality was like later on.

I also got $10 worth of hacksaw blades. They aren’t too bad for being $.25 a piece!

21BB73FB-B123-4705-BD87-52AE79FC9AE0.jpeg

Whew! Four hours later my surface grinder is finally in the shop. Not where its going to go, just inside the doors. It was only a little over half the weight of my LG 50# but seemed more cumbersome and top-heavy. Moved it with chain fall, come-along, pipe and pry bar, with a few towing straps for hold-backs when it got tippy. I recently got an engine hoist to help with this sort of thing, but it was useless. At my age I need a better heavy mover. What do you guys use?

Not having a tractor or an engine hoist and nowhere to put them if I did I have a similar problem.  When we moved here a couple of years ago I decided where I wanted stuff in the shop and had younger guys unload and place it while I supervised.  I have to move a larger forge to replace my smaller rivet forge that I have used for years and I will probably use a come along and furniture moving skids under the legs to drag it across the dirt floor of my shop.

I guess the short answer to how I move heavy things is:  minions.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Pipes, a toe jack or 2 and crowbars. The old compressors we used to move around were between 2 and 5 ton, Jack them up and slip pipes under, lever with the crow bar and your off.

An old boy who had a workshop next to mine used to install weaving machinery in India many years ago, he was showing me photos one day. This loom was the size of a small house and was to be situated on the second floor. There was a hole in the floor to lift it through. 50 or 60 Indian blokes on each side, they would lift one side and slide blocks under then lift the other side and do the same, 12 inches at a time the loom rose through the floor and once through long beams were put through to span the gap. 

He always said he could move anything no matter how big it was,  the only variable was how many Indian chaps you needed. 

Visited the scrapyard today and 156# followed me home; mostly the piece shown.  It's 2" wide and 3" deep and close to 2' long.  Anybody know what it was and what alloy it might be?  (2"x3" is good die material for one of my powerhammers!)

KIMG0061.thumb.JPG.c1b8d40a0adc5f7bd91bd40d2b40ea60.JPG

On a sad note; the Baler has arrived and they are starting to bale the general scrap pile in prep for shipping it out.  I expect they will be done by Christmas...

Thomas, are they keeping the baler to bale it as fast as it comes in or just to get rid of that pile and then send it back?

I found this little piece of history at the flea market friday for $2.  It may go on the curiosity shelves.  Or a mini anvil?  :)  It fits in the palm of my hand.

20220318_133551_compress41.jpg

You may be right but I collect rr related memorabillia.  I bought a bunch of stuff from the fellow and he threw in an old rusty logging pike with the handle broke off for free.  It's crazy around here, certain vendors sell for next to nothing and then you go around the corner to an "antique" shop and similar stuff goes for 10 to 20 x the price.  Maybe I should open a "junque" shop! 

Ive got some old railroad antiques I’ve been meaning to take down to the Adair county museum, 

I talked with one of the people who helps run it awhile back, and I told them I’d donate a feed store scale from the mid 1800s that came from cane hill Arkansas but after I talked to them I thought I’d give em some more railroad stuff too, because the museum is located in the Kansas City southern depot in Stilwell, and one of the old railroad spike mauls I have is actually stamped with KCS

Didn't follow me home *yet*:  I got to talking to an older gentleman who was buying a brake light lens for his pickup at the scrapyard.  His father used to be a blacksmith and made and sharpened mining and logging tools.  His Father's JABOD was an small old mining car filled with dirt with a pipe with holes for a tuyere... Anyway he hasn't used any of his father's tools: Forge, Hand Cranked Blower, Post Vise; they have just been sitting in his garage for years----I gave him my card and said if he wanted them to have a good home where they would be used, just give me a call!

NM is fairly tool poor; but I keep stumbling over stuff...

That would definitely be a bit much to pay for a lawn ornament!

maybe one day when I get around an load up the pickup an head out west for a visit they’ll be one along the way that someone needs to find a new home lol

id be the only one in Adair county with an ol mining car in the yard!