• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys I need some drill press help. I was able to make a second run at my late uncles tools and grabbed the drill press so now I have two but can only keep one. Found some more cool stuff too but we’ll talk about that later. I’m trying to figure out if my late grandfathers or my late uncles will be better for the work I’m doing - obviously steel. Now the inside of the craftsman has the lay out for the pulleys and it says 620 spindle speed for steel but what I’ve read, if read correctly, that’s still too fast for steel. Remember I’ll be drilling 1/2” holes at the absolutely max most likely. The older delta doesn’t have the materials listed for each speed but it’s literally the exact same spindle speed setting list. Delta says 1/4hp but I don’t see a hp listed on the craftsman. both say 60hz but that’s basically jiberish to me. Some other things to consider:

1. the craftsman needs a little tlc. There’s a threaded part on the opposite side of the handles you pull down on to drill that’s rubbing on some kind of linkage and makes it so the up and down operation is not as smooth as it should be (can anyone tell I know nothing about drill presses yet?) but I believe I could fix this

2. the delta has the automatic table operation to bring it up and down which is nice and a light on it, also nice

3. I couldn’t find the chuck key for the delta but I’m assuming I could buy some kind of universal one?

4. The delta has somE kind of attachment that was bought as an aftermarket piece  can’t believe I don’t have a pic but it basically bolts to the table and extends it and has a built in fence so if you want to run something across and keep it square this would do that. Mostly for word working but i believe it could come in handy one day   - I could probably even line it with thing plate steel to make it more useful. As I said I can’t keep both so I’m looking for an opinion on which some of you guys would keep with all those things considered and also assuming everything else works correctly. Thanks  

A4FBE259-AE87-4729-A00A-5F7FE4D8986F.jpeg

F42B29F9-EED0-42D6-A36E-723DFBE4A50D.jpeg

ED15B81B-F4EF-447D-B03C-32B366DC712F.jpeg

B5BE4233-FC6B-4AA0-82CB-6830651833DF.jpeg

900E54C2-30B8-4EC8-91BF-BAB19B2BC198.jpeg

6D1BDED6-40AA-4E98-8E60-61347A589CCF.jpeg

They both look like woodworkers systems to me; can you trade both of them for a stouter slower metal working one?

For example I have a Jet I bought used nearly 40 years ago that has a 2 hp Dayton motor on it and it's speed range is much lower IIRC.  It really emphasizes the "ALWAYS CLAMP THE WORKPIECE" rule!

Yes the "modern" HP rating is what you get when you stall the motor out and it's a microsecond from complete destruction.  Not the old continuous duty HP rating that you could actually expect to work a tool at.  I believe that Sears was one of the leaders in posting "bogus" HP ratings for their tools.  One reason that I mentioned that I had an old school Dayton motor and it's rating.

Are they free standing or bench top drill presses? The delta is made in China, Don't know where the craftsman was made. The old time Sears Craftsman life time guarantee no longer applies for Craftsman tools since Sears is close to being bankrupt.

Like others have said, I would sell both and get one that will at least get down to 180 - 120 RPM or close with at least a 1/2 inch chuck.Ours is a Guardian Power 16-speed with a 5/8 inch chuck made in Taiwan sold by the Buffalo Tool Corp in 1991. Still going strong all those years. If you decide on one of those do a search on the sears parts web site for that model number to see if parts are still available for it. Don't be surprised if none are no longer available though.

I wouldn't sell the drill presses just yet.  Either will drill a hole in steel but will probably have a tough time with 1/2" holes being under powered for the job.  When drilling, keep pressure on the drill bit and do not let the bits spin in the hole as this can work harden steel.  Remove the scale from your hole locations as this stuff is hard and will ruin the drill bits.  It also helps to drill a small pilot hole first when drilling large holes.  This relieves the web or point of the larger drill bit from having to do work and also keeps your hole locations more precise.  I have an older 14" Delta and while I do not know the speed at the slowest setting, I have no problem drilling 1/2" and even larger holes with it.

Well, it didn't exactly follow me home, but it showd up at home today. After my thread about 2x48 vs 2x72 ginders, I decided to go for the big machine. What the heck. Unfortunately, my electricians are booked up until April and I need a new 220 circuit installed in the shop to get working. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to wire it up to 115 for a month, but I've got a ton of stuff to do around the house... decisions decisions.

20220301_131038[1].jpg

Thanks for the responses guys. They’re both definitely benchtop woodworking units as they came from woodworkers shops so I knew that. But since the craftsman said the lowest speed (600) was good for steel I assumed 600 was ok. I would’ve never thought the proper speeds for steel were as low as 180. I guess they put that on the craftsman to sell more of them lol. But I have drilled plenty of holes in ate l with the craftsman. Unfortunately selling both isn’t an option as whichever one I decide I don’t want I’m giving to another uncle who would be working strictly with wood. 
Pnuts suggestion makes most sense I guess. 

Thanks, Pat. I do know what you mean. I had some cash stashed, extra profits from my small business last year, that I was going to put towards a carribou hunting trip in AK with my cousin. Things aren't moving on that front, so I though, what the heck, buy the grinder now and make more money for Alaska (not through knife making or blacksmithing mind you, through my business). 

It's all set up and ready to go, with one little problem. It came with a 2HP motor and a KBAC 27D wired for 220. I don't have a 220 line in my shop yet and the electricians I use are backed up until April. I'm contemplating whether it will be worth it to wire it for 110/115 for a month and change when I have tons of house upgrade projects on the list. I'm leaning towards doing it, trying to figure out if a 14/3 appliance cord I have laying around will be sufficient.

20220302_154757.jpg

Funny I picked up 4 breakers at the ReStore today, I'm going to run a 220 VAC, 10 AWG line to run my Bader grinder.  There was this box up on top of the shelves; nothing marked on it an; being curious I reached up into it and found I was holding a Sq D, DP4075 20 amp 220 breaker in mint condition.  So I figured a way to get the box down and there were more!  I bought 4 breakers, 20 amp and 30 amp 220 and a 20 and 30 amp 110. Total cost was US$6 I also picked up some steel cover plates for some 20 amp round 220 receptacles I had in my electrical parts drawer. Out the door was US$ 10.50.  This explained to my wife why I wanted to go to the ReStore before the Holmes Despot!

I've been scrounging most my conduit and fittings at the scrapyard and hope to have my bader wired up with a light over it by the end of the weekend. And yes I can wire to code *SAFELY*.  (And out here in the country, legally too!  there was a reason I paid through the nose to get the basic set up done professionally.)

Those types of stores are the best, in our house, most of the breaker circuits and the entirety of the structural wood for the shed were recycled from building sites. A lot cheaper than buying it all new!

Wish you were closer Randy; I have two unused breaker boxes; one 125 amp Sq D still in the box from when I was collecting stuff to wire my shop. I ended up going with a Pro for the original work and he put in a 200 am- service; so I don't need the smaller ones anymore.

Went to the fleamarket, 2 craftsman #2 phillips screw drivers as they tend to wander all over the place; when I have a dozen in the shop, a dozen in the house and a dozen in my truck I ought to be able to find one when I need it! (US$1 a piece). Scrapyard was more conduit pieces with bends and fittings and a receptacle box for my first added 220 line.  And an 8 drawer mechanics tool chest: American made, wheels still in good shape, drawers all roll in/out nicely.  Needs clean up and repainting.  20 USCents a pound.

And since "tanks" seems to be trending right now---my wife has been wanting one to collect rain water in and there was a pretty good used one at the scrap yard; 600 gallons just under US$60. Now to get it off the truck and around to the place it goes and install gutters...

KIMG0047.thumb.JPG.76cdd2ce84d0f644cc0bbc3ed9cd13a0.JPG

I was wearing that t-shirt a while back and a guy at the gas station told me how fast cars rust in this area.   Not long before that, another said he wouldn't weld on galvy "anymore".    Amazing the reactions you get from ifi shirts.

An wasn't there a smith having trouble locating used barbwire?  Come and get it!KIMG0045.thumb.JPG.bcf4236986cae2301c79d4f1a2dcb987.JPG

And on the sad side of things: My local scrapyard says they are buying a baler and when it's installed and working they will go to a baled as soon as it gets in the door and so my days of wandering and buying stuff will be over.  Till it breaks down....