I Forge Iron

It followed me home

When I was a teenager, I helped build a timber-framed house in the Vermont woods. The contractor (Dick Adams, a real old-school woodsie) had one just like that, and we used it for everything from digging for the foundations to lifting beams into place to hoisting slate up onto the roof. One heck of a workhorse.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, I stand corrected, I guess it could have something to do with blacksmithing, no more moving anvils across the yard with a dolly! 

if nothing else it’s going to be handy having a front end loader around, none of the tractors ive ever owned had a loader on them, 

And this will be awesome to unload and move metal around, 

I found another use for the front loader on my Massey Ferguson 255. I finally decided to swap out my very large oxy/acct tanks for smaller ones. They are so heavy, it takes 2 men and a boy to load them in the truck. Hydraulic assist is the way to go when moving/loading heavy stuff sure saves the back.

On the welding helmets, I still prefer the old single shade flip down hoods over the auto darkening except when I am under a car, and room is restricted. Even with the auto darkening ones at work I find myself flipping my head before I start... My biggest issue with them is when I am in tight areas and the arc light gets blocked by something and the lens goes normal again while I am still welding.  That doesn't happen with my old helmet.

I have had a ton of things follow me home recently, but none is smithing related. Aircraft, auto, home, firearm, but not smithing.

Might be fun to mount that feeder on a release mechanism so when a raccoon leans out on it like that it flips out and drops him/er on the ground. Won't hurt the critter unless that porch is on the 4th floor. Maybe connect a trigger so you get video of the fun. Hmmmm?

That's the thing about hash, you can make almost anything "taste" good in hash.

Frosty The Lucky.

We have cats in the barn and put food in there for them. I get the occasional racoon or skunk but usually the ground hog keeps them away. The cats keep the mice and rats out though and i found that ground hogs and cats do not get along very well. 

Anywho mail call, 3 tomahawk handles and some wedges. I bought the handle becuase i am lazy and do not feel like making one and the wedges becuase, well you know always need wedges. The handles are from CRKT so i figured they would be decent since my pocket knife is made by them and i like it purty good. Well they may be with certain hawks, however, they are oval to start not a tear drop and they are small, about the size of a fresh engineers hammer hand if not smaller. I put a head on one by flipping it upside down and grinding the swell into a tear drop. And becuase of the taper no wedge needed, like a mattock fit. Also it came in a coat of polyurethane or something so i had to sand that off and put a coat of teak oil on it. 

IMG_20211015_153001.thumb.jpg.7cadfc3fa8f4282fefe6bd3222e40546.jpg

Then my neighbor came over. Said he was cleaning out his car and had a big chunk of metal in the trunk if i wanted it. I figured it would be something around the size of a tire iron or so. I was wrong, 12" x 12" x 1 3/4" chunk that he said is tool steel. He did not know specific alloy but said him and his dad bought it for some project and never used it. My dad was over when he came and asked. My dad asked what in the world would you need that for? I said i do not know right now but i sure aint turning it down. 

IMG_20211015_154536.thumb.jpg.38688a96ef5096f40059f0f82fc25528.jpg