• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up an old hook for a couple dollars at a local junk shop, I thought it was a grappling hook but the old man told me years ago everyone around here used these to fish well buckets out when the ropes broke. I’d never heard of that but it makes sense to me. I have an old hand drawn well out in front of my shop I thought this would make a neat decoration to hang out there. Anyways i thought it would also be a cool project to try an make another one myself. 

789E9592-7AC2-4F9A-9D7F-C0960919C74C.jpeg

I am one step closer to getting my machine shop and welding gear down here. I bought a 48' Great Dane dry van with a lift gate on Truck Planet. Now to get it moved from San Diego.

A 48' should hold two Monarch lathes, a vertical mill, horizontal mill, shaper, my big welders, surface grinder, and a lot more.  Thinking I might also be able to run power to it once it is at my place and use the equipment until a shop gets built.

A productive but uncomfortable dog walk, my physio is gonna give me disapproving looks. Those clips are a kilo each of shear steel, plus a bit of wrought, that nut and bolt might become hammer and I'm sure I can find a use for the coal shovel.

It's sat on the half sleeper I found a while ago which happens to fit my sandbox as a lid. 

haul -01.jpeg

I make dishing hammers from dome headed RR bolts. Slit and drift the eye in the middle of the shaft for shallow dishing and slit and drift in the far end for deep dishing---I like to curve the shaft too for deep work; so the middle of the face tracks your swing arc spot on!

Around here the clips are usually an upper end medium carbon steel; sure wish we had shear steel ones!

A dishing hammer is exactly what I had in mind :) I've picked up five modern clips over the last few months , they're supposed to be .4C .7 Mn

When the river gets a bit lower I'll do some serious exploring of the harder to get to bits 

Found another few this morning and some larger bolts, the bolts resist the file after quenching :). I also found an office chair that I managed to lug quarter of a mile to a bin and two dining room chairs I couldn't carry as well. 

What staggers me is the effort it must have taken to dump them in the first place. 

Hot morning at the scrapyard; been a couple of weeks since I last wend and someone was shutting down their well drilling business and junking stuff: 

I picked up a WI bolt: (ontop the pile) wipile2.jpg.ed21d22b2233b59f7d55dd362c5dca7b.jpg

Improvised hardy holes: 

impHardyHoles.jpg.c5a7ab776777767763484215f02f1bc3.jpg

Some misc steel: 3/8" rod and some 1/2" sq, a few tools, etc and 

An old Delta Jointer!

jointer.jpg.2c6ce6a06cf1cfc7faa12a25d144948c.jpg

6.5" face (fence is on a workbench as the jointer weighs a lot!) I bought it for scrap price but the scrapyard owner told me they were told it was working...Have to plug it in and see!

All in all 255# OUT; took in a bucket of scrap copper that paid off about 1/2 my "debt". 

Supposed to get to 104 degF here today; I  went home and consumed mass quantities of iced tea and lemonade!

(and some more of my WI stash: wipile1.jpg.c4a3fe858f6667a47116add8783462f5.jpg)

Nice haul Thomas. What are the size of the square holes in the skid shoes? 

I assume you weld them to something to use as hardy holes; ever break welds in use? They should be very like if not Vascowear, about 200pts carbon and significant % tungsten, high alloy. It doesn't like being welded.

it hit 73f here today, a few degrees hotter than Anchorage in summer is the norm. I went through about 1/2 gal of iced tea. I'd render in 104f heat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lovely Bigguns. Deb and I don't plan on traveling in the lower 48 during summer for a reason. A GOOD reason. I grew up in the S. Cal and was a regular weekend desert rat on weekends and holidays. The hottest weather I've experienced was in E. Wenatchee Wa. when my Father asked for me in his last days. Being on the Columbia River there was a decent breeze, were in the 80s and the house had air so I was able to sleep. 

Mornings weren't awful and I could have a smoke on the front steps but when the sun cracked the mountain tops I felt like a torch was being played over me. It immediately jumped into the 100s, highs were running to 106f and a bit. 

But it was a DRY heat. You could tell by the salt crust in my armpits.

Frosty The Lucky.

As many of the folks here know; I'm using a phone that is OLDER than some of the folks here and so the pictures are often quite bad. I only post them as some of the folks here hassle me to!  So:

jt2.jpg.99742aa94ef586261dd64792b496dc01.jpg

jt3.jpg.2b787294cebc42c18024a51ca3124096.jpg

jt4.jpg.949150837f4c92d864ecb4c5de3d2bf7.jpg

I also found a tamper?

tamper1.jpg.fa17e38c93fe8cfe1599ef4b2287ee7e.jpg

Frosty I don't weld the improvised hardy holes, I pick them up so when folks tell me that they can't use an improvised anvil because it doesn't have a hardy hole. I can sell them an improvised hardy hole for a buck or two, (20 USCents a pound...)  I might try super missile weld  if  I did try to weld them.  This set was 1.125" IIRC.