• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're probably right, and I'd make the same bet. Still, you never know until you ask.

In a similar vein, I have a couple of odd air hammer bits listed on eBay that probably aren't going to sell. If they do, I'll have the cash. If they don't, I've got plans for how I can modify them into decorative punches. It's a win either way.

I've done that plenty of times. Could use it but offer it for sale for someone that might want it more. If not well, more fodder for the forge or scrapart. 

Where business and liability are concerned, they rather buy new. And often would scrap something and get about nothing when you could use it and offer them more. Again all that fancy liability mumbo jumbo. 

My work scrapped a perfectly good car lift for whatever their reason. Got very little for it when they were offered more for it from a couple techs. There have been a few times like that. 

I worked once for a major manufacturer and they threw a horizontal milling machine in the scrap hopper.  It was in ok condition, just replaced with a more efficient mochine.  I inquired about buying it.  The next day I took a look at it and they had sent somebody out with a torch and cut the spindle in half.   Oh well....

20210225_202825.jpg.e1f655927e6a1175f7e2b92467b8c072.jpg

Lucky lucky, was just browsing on a Classified advertising site and came across a little anvil, since I already have a very good anvil I was more interested to what I saw to the left of the anvil, a huge pile of hardy tools. Shot the man a PM and after some talking got his address. 

15 min later I arrive at ta trailer park where I am greeted by a old man, I follow him into what is either the cave of wonders or some other treasury. Air rifles, anvils, old army knives, traps, pulleys. You name it, he has it in some for or other. 

He starts talking about where he find his stuff and for what some of the things where used. He shows me a very worn down anvil used by the Dutch railroads, an anvil used by the cavalry division and many many more beautiful items. Some with wear, some in mint condition.

After about an hour of talking (cant stay to long, curfew and everything) I go back home with 6 hardy tools, cost me 8 euro apiece (new ones cost about 40 to 50 and are never in 30x30, only 25x25) 

Left him my number so he can sent me pictures if he finds more old stuff, and I can drop by anytime I need to borrow some old tool for a few days to practice on or the recreate.

More stuff from the road over the last few days..heard a big clang as a passing car ran over these broken leaf spring pieces.E1A36E55-753B-4E95-904F-7286C0F89DE0.thumb.jpeg.ae94aa519bc5a938765e748cac9089ac.jpeg

Also some sort of broken bracket, a new nut, and a couple broken bolts. Also saw what looked like substantial chunk of broken plow blade, but was too big to lug back to the office/home.

AC809360-D04F-40A1-9A06-B281C82FBF98.thumb.jpeg.4b0ecb9b2cca1119a45cafa85742badb.jpeg

Yeah, one of out tag along trailers with one of our track drills on it blew a tire. I was back several hundred feet and it sounded like a bomb. He was crossing Hurricane Creek bridge so it was big resonator. Still dust and stuff jumped up off the deck. 

I was so VERY happy I was as far back as I was. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I skipped out early one friday afternoon on a 3 day weekend.  On Hwy 101 heading north at San Jose a dump truck pulling a trailer blew a tire.  When he went to pull over he hit the curb ( who puts curbs on a major highway) lost control and flipped his dump truck 3/4 over in the middle of the highway.   Another guy and I pulled him from the cab, shaken but unhurt.   In the middle of the highway was a 3 foot high pile of sludge from the dump truck, on a friday, on a 3 day weekend.  Was I glad I had skipped out early.   Just enough room to get around him and be on my way.

13 hours ago, starbits said:

lost control and flipped

When I was still on the job, I helped one of my officers direct traffic at a wreck where a TRD semi. going too fast, hauling scrap metal, overturned in a sharp curve right in the middle of town. Talk about blacksmith road kill. I offered to get my pick up to help clean up the mess but they declined my help.:(

When I worked in art restoration, one of my coworkers was from China and had the most beautiful inkstone on her worktable. One of those objects that is pure form-follows-function, but this one was clearly made by someone with an eye for subtle and restrained sophistication.

I just used it like for brush painting. Rubbed the ink stick in water in a mixing stone like JHCC mentioned then brushed it on. I was having a hard time seeing the lines I scribed to cut the shape out so I coated the whole piece and scribed as normal. It came off with soap and water. I'm not sure of the composition of the ink stick but they're usually lamp black mixed with some vegetables oil. 

Pnut

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

one of my coworkers was from China and had the most beautiful inkstone on her worktable.

Some of them are truly works of art. The brush racks too. I like all the elaborate tools involved in Sumi e. 

Pnut

I'm not artistically gifted in any way but with practice you can develop enough technique to still make pleasing artwork. It's a perishable skill though so you have to keep at it or it goes away, or at least it does for me. 

Pnut

I started with just a little set I bought at Michaels or hobby lobby. It came in a silk covered box with a little ink stick ,a stone, a bowl, a couple of brushes, and a brush rest. I've upgraded since then but the brushes it came with were surprisingly good. I still use them from time to time.

I probably have the same set.  Something like 12 bucks at hobby lobby while the wife was spending a bunch more on oil paints and canvases.  I think mine came with a book, or at least I bought a book at the same time.

My first job out of the Army was in a machine shop. I have since then always had a bottle of Dykem in the garage. The shop i work in now we get Dykem by the gallon. Pretty convenient when my bottle starts to get low. As far as color it depends on what i am marking. I have found on dark metals i like the red better but on shiny metals the blue stands out better. 

Same with cutting oil. I just get me an old pop bottle or something and fill it up. A 20oz bottle and i am good for about 2 months. We use Northcut 410 oil.