• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you call a reverse "it followed me home?" It ran away from home? It left the nest?

I had two of gas forges that only made me sadder looking at them. Got them out of the shop today to someone interested in starting jewelry work. I detailed to them everything wrong with the forges, and how hot I could get them, so I didn't feel like I was pushing junk on anyone. They also took a 3/4" burner I lost interest in. Also sold my flex shaft tool, because I hadn't touched it in over a year and it wasn't getting any less broken.
Feels good! Now I just have to fight that itch to instantly spend the money on new mistakes... :unsure:

My mother got this knife from a friend recently and is wondering what it is for a design. i looked around online a bit and couldn't find any thing so I thought there must be someone here who knows 

the closest thing I could find in shape was the Egyptian Khopesh sword and that isn't very close

the only marking is a stamped 'TAIWAN' at base 13" overall  9" blade

thanks in advance

M.J.Lampert

101_1965.thumb.JPG.bee2f9967434ae4f36bea281af212ab9.JPG

101_1969.thumb.JPG.b8ad8c6ec8b81faf89d4854c4ceb2556.JPG

101_1966.thumb.JPG.4992490bb6491f2ea8fa56fbfdd7e709.JPG

101_1964.thumb.JPG.c92706b58a75baec282d2af39f2e7503.JPG

I went to an estate sale to look at a milling machine /drill press. They had a 50# Little Giant but one arm was broken, the other had been broken and welded. Both lower arms (toggles?) were homemade replacements. The price tag said $1200. I told them all I could offer was $800. They said "sold!" It literally followed me home, but it took three hours of greasy sweat to persuade it into my trailer. Trailer was only rated for 2200# so I had to leave the milling press. It's bearings were shot anyway. I replaced all the home made parts with parts from Little Giant and now it is happily thumping away. BTW, since that picture I have replaced the romex with flex conduit. I only had that for testing.

LGHammerF.jpg

I stopped by the steel supply on Friday and found a 3/4" x 1.25" x 68" bar of 4140 for $14.

I'm planning to use it for making some dies for the guillotine tool. I thought that was a good deal considering a comparable bar on McMaster goes for about $110. Now McMaster isn't known for being the least expensive option, but still. Glad I dug around the pile for a while. 

Twigg as I'm looking to get power to my shop before I retire, I need to clean out a lot of "what might have beens"; things too good to scrap but needing work that I haven't wanted to spend on them---some for decades to make room to set up mu powered equipment: bader, 25# LG, 60# Champion, tombstone welder,... So I am slowly cleaning shop and offloading things on new smiths and friends.  Yesterday I sold a Post Vise missing the screw/screwbox, mount; I had replaced the pivot bolt and made a spring for it. Staying true to my contention that the screw/screwbox is 80% of the "worth" of a postvise I decided that the complete post vise, with good post with original acorn and beveled legs, I would have sold for US$125 and so as is I put a $25 price on it. 

Recently when I was at the scrapyard with a new smith I found the body of a fairly well executed; but poorly designed propane forge---unlined, too long, horribly designed burner nearby...So I talked the new smith into buying it and suggested he cut it in two  and make two good working size forges out of it. Or put in a center wall and make a forge where you can have folks working from both ends.  I don't need to own everything if it can go to a good home---anyone want some barn cats?