• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've looked at a couple of different ones, and there seem to be two main methods. One is to make an adapter from the back of one of the original filters and the mounting hardware from a standard mask, and the other is to simply attach the mounting hardware from a standard mask directly to the mounting hardware on the Resp-O-Rator. Not yet sure which one I favor, but I'll give it some thought while I use up the filter that came with it.

The other mod that some people do is to attach a plastic bottle underneath the exhaust valve in the middle of the front to catch the condensation. Michael Chthulu of "Big Giant Swords" has such a setup on his.

Well its' hard to get this guys nowadays-

I contacted railways manager, i literaly went to his house and asked him and he said that it should be cut, but they don't cut it now.
And when i mentioned  that i am wiling to pay for it.
He sell me his piece.

16104489744351162296467.jpg

16104490080291984273552.jpg

It will come in handy since i don't have nothing heavier for anvil that is made of metal.

Looks like he's wishing he would have brought a hand truck. When I picked up my rail I had to lug it a couple hundred yards. I don't remember if it's twenty nine or thirty inches. I'm only 140 pounds. It was quite the workout. I had to rest more than once. I thought I was going to pass out by the time I got it to the car. 

Pnut

It's easy to miss-read the difficulty vs. time ratio. It's one of the main sources of experience. 

It's like the size to utility ratio when building a forge. Someday I'll get it right.

Oh, rail weight is per yard so 120lb. rail is 40lbs/foot. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Just a random factoid about railroad track:  Weight per yard (or Kg/meter) varies depending on use.  Rapid transit/light rail often uses 100lb./yard rail while main lines with heavy freight train use usually use 136 lb./yard rail.  Smaller rail can be used on sidings and older lines.  Mine rail can be quite small.  The heaviest rail used commercially was 155 lb./yd. which was once in use on the Pennsylvania RR.  There may even be heavier rail around for specialized industrial purposes like moving heavy launch vehicles at Cape Canaveral.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

On 1/13/2021 at 8:02 AM, Welshj said:

I've been to your part of the world in my life time natkova. It was 20 some years ago, and at that time... recovering from a war.

Well this is just for hobby, because I dont do blacksmithing for living, if I did I will probably die lol.

It is dying trade here.

18 hours ago, George N. M. said:

main lines with heavy freight train use usually use 136 lb./yard rail.

My track anvil is made from a 9” chunk of 136 lb AREA* rail, which puts it at 34 lbs. I’ve not weighed the stand. 

D255236E-FAFF-4249-B80E-00AE58337073.jpeg

*American Railway Engineering Association

Already done. You’ll notice that this end has a fuller ground into the center web; I’ve since added a hot-cut and a small horn. The other end has the head ground into a kind of ball shape. 

C7B3635D-F34E-4EB1-B9F5-CE9EE172F4B9.jpeg

06377DD4-BF48-48DB-91A6-7175932A66A3.jpeg

And here’s one of my students using it:

7435DAF7-3016-4DC9-95B9-6D2B6D816AA7.jpeg

A quick trip to the industrial surplus place netted a nice Bosch hand drill and a small bin of tools, the latter containing a box of shims, a couple of bits of tooling, and a nice set of taps with the matching drill bills. 

D78DC39D-1D16-423A-8EAB-0F027ACF8C06.jpeg

Anyone have any idea what these are? 4” long, 3/4” diameter at the thick end, 3/8” at the thin end, and with a 5/16” diameter x 1” deep home on the thick end. 

E4E618BF-5399-4788-B31F-D473A515B6D6.jpeg