Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Swung by the industrial surplus place and got this interesting cart in the hope of using it for a hammer rack:

That looks a lot more like a bar stock rack to me John. a plywood floor with a rim around the outside and you could stack a forest of bar stock in it and roll it out of the way till you needed something.

I see what you were thinking when you picked it up but it's WAY too big and one set of tines would hold more hammers and a person is likely to need very often.

I still think it's a good score just not as a hammer rack.

Frosty The Lucky.

I wonder if I could use the back for stock and the front for tools. That would free up some more floor space.

The tricky bit is that that is a cramped area of the shop already, and I don't want to block my 230v outlet.

Well, I brought home two motorcycle chains today to use as hold-downs.  One is really heavy, the other, not so.  But I think the heavy one will work fine if I pull a pin at the halfway point and make two hold-downs out of it.  Now I'm on the hunt for some old cast iron window weights.  Haven't seen those in years, but I bet there are still some out there.

Picked up a few bits and bobs from a garage sale today. A few files and a rasp for 2 dollaridoos each. Biggest one looks to be a 350mm bastard cut. Solid steel cylinder that I'd like to turn into my next anvil somehow and a chain that I might try making some chain Damascus out of. Don't know yet. Also got some brass and a shorter piece of steel cylinder as an anvil for my other half who would like to try her hand at silver smithing.

IMG_20200620_104822_4.thumb.jpg.9a7f5a991489128b03f6960de6ba6c69.jpg

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

The tricky bit is that that is a cramped area of the shop already, and I don't want to block my 230v outlet.

I suppose if I suggested mounting a short 230v extension cord to the cart Steve and every other legitimate electrician would demand I be tied to the mast and given strokes with a cat O' 9 tails.  

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m thinking of rearranging that wall of the shop. There’s some stuff I can get rid of at one end, which will open up some space to shift a cabinet and some shelves enough to the left to create space for this cart, especially if I use the back as a stock rack and shorten the  pegs on the front. 

Chris do you know about the secret doors on the sides of sash weight windows to allow them to be removed when the cord breaks?  Got any neighbors with abandoned farm houses you could get permission to check?

Last time I saw any was, yesterday.

John, I hope they are WI too.  I was once walking down the alley behind my house in Columbus OH and found that the flower store at the end of it had thrown out the 5' diameter wagon tyre that had been using as "decor" for their front window.  They were happy to have me fish it out of the dumpster as they figured the trash people would not be happy finding it there.  So far my finds in AR, OK, OH, and NM are averaging out at over 95% of the tyres being WI.

Is there a way you can tell it's wrought without just cutting it up and forging it? Maybe a vinegar soak or something? I have a big wagon wheel with the spokes and the hub. If it were wrought iron, I'd be willing to disassemble it and forge it. But I'd rather leave it intact if not. I also was given a horseshoe that was found on a 100+ year old farm and I thought maybe it's wrought iron. Definitely hand forged and I don't want to ruin it either for nothing

7 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Yep, Thomas, those are what I'm looking for.  But don't know anyone with abandoned farm houses around here to ask.

Small local contractor, Habitat for Humanity or local window replacement companies would be a much better place to start.  An abandoned farmhouse in Oklahoma is a good place to stumble into trouble.  Snakes, meth labs, and people associated with property who don’t want you there even though they may not own it... bad combination.