• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The business I run with my dad and brothers deals in overhead doors among other things. So, upon liberating the drive tube from a worn out specimen, this followed me home. 

20190821_185215.thumb.jpg.9c14af511af5d5e38ffcdf49851117ae.jpg

3lb Hammer for scale. 

Plus the drive shaft.

20190821_185224.thumb.jpg.7b55e797c6350168d80ba09df2517432.jpg

20190821_185602.thumb.jpg.2619d897bc76407612ccd074227b347c.jpg

20190821_185430.thumb.jpg.7ab6c756a6f42be2dbda6ed99aeeb6f4.jpg

I think I might be good on spring steel for a while. 

Cheers, 

Zach 

Your square shows 4 1/2", if I'm seeing it correctly.   4.5x3.1416=14.1372" for every turn of the spring.  I tried enlarging the page to count the coils in your picture, but my old eyes got all fuzzy and couldn't manage it.    Just count the individual coils and multiply that number by 14.1372" and you've got your total length.  Just looking at the coil you've shown, I'd think it would be more than 110 feet. (just my guess)

I figure if I wanted t straighten one of the roll up door springs I have I'd just bury it in a bag off Kingsford till it's red then slip a bar through it and chain the bar to a close gozinta. Clamp an end of the spring to the hitch on the pickup and straighten that puppy out.

About 1.5 years ago I got a friend to help load a spring in the Saturn, after we got it in he declined loading the other spring. It's off a: grizzly, crusher chute, shaker table, or similar. The wire is 2.75" dia. Coils are 12.5" C-C and it stands about 3'4" tall. I figure it weighs around 450 lbs. and feels like it.

I like coil better than leaf spring but I have some of that too. Good stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

By time I finally picked up that spring we were driving a Vue. My only complaint about any of the 5 we owned was the road noise, the plastic bodies conducted and even resonated road noise. Turned up the radio, problem solved.

Great cars, still ticked about Saturn being squeezed out of business by the big . . . makers.

Frosty The Lucky.

When we had the terrible hail storm here back in 2004 IIRC (as in totaled every roof in town and every car outside and being during the workday most cars were outside), a co worker had a saturn and the hailstones had blasted through the polymer panels such that you could stick your arm into his car through the holes.

But those plastic panels allowed mine to get 40mpg during the winter - in the summer with the A/C blasting I would get 35-37.  They make great commuter cars down here. In 4 years I put almost 200,000 on my 98 SW2, and all it needed in that time was a battery, radiator (split the tank), front brakes, and 3 sets of tires.

My 97 Saturn SL1 just died. I paid five hundred dollars for it in 09 and never had any major problems with it till now. I've noticed that the fit of the interior isn't that great. It added greatly to the road noise. I had little shims shoved in the dashboard to quiet it down some. Other than that I think it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I put 150,000 miles on it myself and only ever had to replace parts that tend to wear out like fuel pumps,brakes, and a couple sensors. I'm bummed about it but oh well.

Pnut

Pnut, if you are looking for a car do not get a Nissan with a CVT transmission, i am pulling them out at around 60 - 70 K millage. I had 4 in the shop last week, 3 this week, and 3 more sitting on the lot for next week. Very high failure rate and a very expensive repair. 

Also stay away from Fords with a dual clutch trans, like the fiesta. They have recalled every single one in the country, and in Taiwan they had to buy back every single one. If ford wont fix it there again it is a very expensive repair. 

Thanks for the heads up Billy. The cars I can afford are going to be a gamble anyway. I don't want a car payment. Any car I buy is going to be less than 2000 dollars. I'm patient though so until I find one that runs alright I'll be driving a borrowed van.

Pnut

I would add , just stay away from Nissan. 07 Versa - both axles were toast at 100,000, and engine went south at 128,000. Known issue with #3 cylinder-but I found out too late.

pnut, what went on the Saturn? Check out Saturnfans dot com. If it was the engine, just get a used one and get going.

No one can tell me what's going on with it. No spark at the coil pack. I replaced the crank position sensor no luck, new coil packs no spark still, replaced the ignition control module still nothing. The garage I sent it to said that the head gasket was blown. I don't think I'll be able to get it tags this coming year anyway. I put it in my mom's name so she could get a loan and she passed away. Still in her name and still has the lien on it. So it's time for a new beater.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Ask your local mechanic. We have a couple cars on the lot that my boss has bought becuase after pulling the trans the owner did not want to pay for the repair. He offered them a couple hundred and bought the car. When we have the time i will rebuild the trans get it running right and park it out front for sale. Some of been just straight up abandoned, he will file for title and we will resell them.  

I made the rounds of a few garage sales today and considered my day a success. I found a gold mine of scrap. Actually, a steel mine of scrap. The tool on top is an A 5 Cutdevil rail cutter. Doesn't appear to have been used. The chunk beneath is my new striking anvil. 4.2" X 12.75" X 18.44" calculates out to 280lbs. Gonna take some doin' to get it off the trailer and into the back yard. 

Hawk 

image.jpeg

Nice score Hawk. That steel block would make an excellent anvil Ala Brian Brazeal type anvil.

Living in Alaska Saturns are darned hard to get parts and work done. There are a number running around including the ones we sold. Our first one started developing a tick in one valve that went away when it warmed up. Unfortunately it was losing power and the mileage was going down. We got a high trade in for a new Saturn at the dealer. That one lasted till the tree killed it AND our Bronco II.

DRATS I can't find the pics, I'll have to have Deb shoot them to me when she gets back. The Tree missed the front porch by about 4' and landed on the Saturn on the driver and shotgun seat backs, crushed the roof level with the doors. Same for the Bronco, crushed partway to the doors but behind the seats. I was tempted to cut that part off and drive it as a mini pickup but Deb said NO!!!!:angry:

You should have heard Deb when the insurance adjuster tried to deny the claims because the side windows were damaged. HUH? Oh LORD did she dress him down for a fool and the idjit actually bounced it higher. No idea if he was an adjuster afterwards, don't care. Both rigs totaled we bought the first Saturn Vue, Deb skinned the dealer on that one too. She's like a pit bull when the deal is afoot. The Saturn dealer gave us a sweet deal on our last Saturn, he'd seen the pics of our tree kills on the evening news. They used the part about the wrecker driver being able to drive it onto the slide back rather than winching it as advertising. He had to lean forward out where the windshield used to be but it fired right up and drove fine. Tough car.

Frosty The Lucky.

The 97 SL1 was the best 500 dollar car I've ever bought. I got it in 2009 and it quit in 2019. Definitely got my money's worth out of it. It's not worth putting another engine in. It needs some front end suspension work on top of being registered to a deceased person and has a lien that the finance company wouldn't release nor would they come and get it. Go figure.                I got about a grand and a half and should be able to get it up to two or two and a half before work slows down. I am patient as they come and can walk to work if needed but I would like to have it sorted out before winter. The search continues. 

Pnut

Edited by pnut

9 hours ago, hawk18 said:

The chunk beneath is my new striking anvil. 4.2" X 12.75" X 18.44" calculates out to 280lbs.

Hawk, did you actually find this thing at a residential garage sale? :o  In any case, looks like welding a chain grab loop on one edge for a "handle" is in order.