I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Humpen or Seidel or Steinzeugkrug;  "By common usage, stein refers to a beer container with a handle and hinged lid."  (wiki)

Just like Wrought Iron has transmogrified from the material they were made from, to the items themselves; so the Stoneware of the Steinzeugkrug has been shortened and applied to the item in popular culture.   (Though this discussion has changed my perception of a friend with the last name of Kruger...)

I plan to use my "Krug" this weekend---though it may be more useful in keeping the expected rain out of my drink than the usual flies/yellowjackets... Now to forge a holder for it to keep it safe and close by while I am forging.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thomas, sorry for ribbing you, but I got schooled by my family on this one, I’m first gen born here in the states. My folks believe it or not didn’t drink beer at home, so Krug isn’t a German word I learned around the kitchen table (I am NOT fluent, I understand just what basic family conversations a kid would hear). However back on the other continent visiting I used our American common term Stein (which I knew ment stone but also figured it was correct for the tankard, one of those “lead, lead” type of words. I got an explanation pretty much matching what Wiki says, except he didn’t tell me any of the regional names such as Seidel from southern Germany, but hey they talk funny there anyways! My best friend growing up was from Bavaria, and when eating dinner there one night his dad kept asking in their dialect for “Krumbiren” (spic?). I didn’t know what he wanted, and he thought I was just daft. Ends up he wanted the potatoes, what my family called “Kartoffeln”, “Erdapfeln”or I think “ Erfel”(spic?) I heard from the older folks.

Goodies brought home from this week’s business trip: Frosty T-burner parts and a chunk of 2” square tube for a NARB plenum (gifts from from IFI member LouL — thanks, Lou!) for me, and yarn for Lisa. 

DB8BF529-8CCD-4E07-97B9-375493C8513F.jpeg

(Lou was going to give me some Cast-o-Lite 30, but we decided that that would REALLY have freaked out the TSA.)

Back in the '90's when I was going to Germany for the summer on business I did manage to locate a trial size box of 20 mule team borax to bring along with a BSB&PS billet.  Managed to weld  up the billet at the Bad Windsheim open air museum.  I generally get enhanced screening for some reason or other---last trip it was for a stack of books in my carry-on.

Mr. S.-miller,

The word for potato in German is,

Die 'kartoffe', 

The plural word is' kartoffln'.

The Austrian German words for potato is der 'erdopfel'  and, also,   die 'erdbine'.

'erd'  means earth in German.

Which makes sense because the French word for potato is 'les pommes de terre'.  which translates into English as 'apples of the earth'.

The Austrian words I was not familiar with.

Live and learn.

SLAG.

Hi Gents, no correction just an addition. ‘Krug’ means jar or tankard. Depending on which German region we have also several names for them, like ‘Bembel’ in Hessia or ‘Mass’ (Oktoberfest) in Bavaria.  Same for ‘Kartoffel(n)/Erdäpfel (Al- nice 'french' explanation btw ;)).

Regarding  ‘Steinzeug’ witch mean no more no less than Stoneware. In this case the ‘Zeug’ (stuff) stands for pejorative and low grade ceramic because the shard is made from a simple clay and not from high end Kaolin (porcelain) also the reason that the costume tax for stoneware is so much lower than for porcelain.

Cheers, Hans

OK, so my high school German was waaaaay back during the Nixon administration, and little used since. You got me going, and I had to break out my google-fu skills. Not that there was a lot to find, and google translate does a poor job with dialects and idioms.

It seems that "Krumbiren" is a Swabian potato recipe, or perhaps a regional type of potato that only Swabians can manage to make taste good.

18 hours ago, SLAG said:

'les pommes de terre'.  which translates into English as 'apples of the earth'.

'Les pommes de route? You triggered memories of my younger days and polite horse terms. No, I don't think anybody I knew ever referred to it in French. Has a lyrical ring to it though doesn't it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty Effendi,

Yes,

"Les pommes de terre",  does have a lyrical ring to it.  But there is one downside. It consists for a three word phrase as opposed to the English single word 'potatoes".

No problem really. except when you want to order French fries at your favorite drive in.

We have abbreviated the phrase to "fries",  and French speakers have done the same with the shortcut word les "frites". Or simply "frites". (pronounced frit, the "s" is not pronounced).

Good practical move. 

But there is one problem. And that, is that there is an academy in France whose government appointed job is to serve as official gatekeepers for what new words are worthy  inclusion in the French language and those that are not.  they are protecting the language.  They spend a lot of time devising suitably official French terms for foreign words.

Some of their 'improvements' are risible and are generally ignored by the majority of French speakers. (in France and Quebec, Canada).

You can just about hear their  muted screams of horror in New York city.  (all the way across the Atlantic).

For example , new computer terms have driven them crazy.  They have generated all kinds of new French words and phrases which no one uses.

They have tried for years to "correct phrases, like "le weekend", "le Hot dog",  etc., etc., etc. (the counterpart Quebec academy wanted all of us to use their coined phrase "le chien chaud"). Actually,  "un ott dog".  (the 'h' is not pronounced).

Alas "un chien chaud" hasn't caught on with anyone except a few academics and just a few government bureaucrats.

For many of us who live, or have,  lived in the French milieu, it is a little mildly amusing and so very gallic experience.

English is not the barbarian at the gate lying in wait in order to subvert the French language.

On the contrary, sixty percent of English words are derived from mediaeval French words.

That's because of William the Conqueror's invasion and victory at the Battle of Hastings and succeeding centuries of Norman rule.

English does not have a gate keeping academy. Such an office's job would resemble a group of wranglers trying  to herd a group of cats.

SLAG.

While earth apples has a nice cadence I prefer "Les pommes de route" for it's heady mental imagery.

I'm not surprised to hear there is a bureaucracy in France to prevent us lesser nationalities from polluting the language. Even less surprising to hear the people who speak the language daily don't pay any attention though I'd be surprised if there weren't middle school kids laughing during school lunch period.

Here's one for bureaucratic idiocy. When I was in school French and Mexican kids took French and Spanish thinking it was an easy A. They were native speakers weren't they? The problem was Both languages taught in school were something like 12th. century classical written. Not even the spoken language, poetic written. 

Middle and Western European language memes go much farther back than recognized countries. Sure English is largely derived from old OLD French which is heavily loaded with Germanic memes with a goodly spicing of memes from the I think Arctic circle and mid east. Latin influence is really recent though I note you didn't mention them at all.

English culture and acedemia will need a few more centuries before it develops the hubris to think they can maintain the language as a . . . defined thing(?) Wrangling herds of cats is an understatement but by then I'm sure there'll be official Gvt. bureau maintaining English Clowder Boys, Clowboys?

Oh NO :o a new word! Kitty up little spell check we got us a live one!

Here's an amusing tale from the Frosty chronicles. Years ago a friend was visiting with his girlfriend and we were chatting when she says, "You like dinosaurs, my Dad likes dinosaurs too!" 

That caught me by surprise, I'd packed my rather extensive paleontology library and thought I'd gotten them all so I said as I scanned the shelves tables and places on the floor I kept books, "Yes I do. I've loved dinosaurs since I was little. How'd you know?"

She pointed at my reference shelf, with the dictionaries, encyclopedia, etc. and said, "I saw the dinosaur book."

"Huh?" I said carefully reading every title on the shelf, nope nothing. "Which book?" I asked.

She got up and took down the dinosaur book and said, "This one, The Saurus." 

It was not easy telling her without making her feel like an idiot. My friend on the other hand was an idiot but I told him later. Yeah, he thought it was a dinosaur book too and didn't understand my explanation. 

English is a fun language especially once you understand the rules for making up legitimate new words.

Frosty The Lucky.

You may remember a massive stash of hardware that followed me home in May. I wa going through it (again) and I found these beauties. The file is 19 and 1/2 inches, aka as long as my arm, and the gouge is nine inches. The little cone around the tang of the gouge looks and feels to be pitch or tar of some sort. 

image.png

CB07437D-919C-424C-BC17-8007E9BD99BF.jpeg

While at our monthly meeting of the BOA at Rusty Wheels in Harrison AR, there was a gentleman with a trailer load of blacksmithing equipment (blowers, fire pots, leg vices etc). I picked up this Champion blower for a very good price $65 U.S. It cleaned up and a little oil, works perfectly. There is no number on it but will work for a side draft charcoal forge I want to build. If we had been in the pick up I would have spent my whole budget for the next several years.:)

100_1995.thumb.JPG.4bc8052a40db9c460dd0e61010133cf7.JPG

100_1993.JPG