• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Peter Wright post vise followed me home earlier in the Maine "tool season," but I'm just now getting around to doing something with it.

The jaws are 4-3/4" wide and it weighs 55 lbs. There are no signs of damage or repair work, all of the parts are there, the jaws align well, the jaw mating surfaces still have visible cross-hatching, there was no deep rust on the vise, and the screw and box threads are in excellent condition. I took it apart, cleaned it, and correctly aligned the original hand-forged pivot bolt, which is keyed to go in a specific position. The operation is smooth, and the wedges for the mounting bracket fit well. The photo of the threads below shows them without lubricant for clarity. I'm planning to use an extreme-pressure grease on the threads.

You can still read parts of the words "PATENT" and "SOLID BOX" and there is still just a trace of "PETER WRIGHT" visible on one of the jaws. 

I'm just about done fabricating a stand for the vise, which I plan to post on IFI in the next day or two.

I paid $165 USD for this vise at Liberty Tool Company, in Liberty, ME, which I thought was a very reasonable price. 

vise-right-side-1.thumb.jpg.dbacc7387324f733bedd57feeff5ea28.jpg    vise-left-side-1.thumb.jpg.252e2da74e1d8a615ff8253f707de2d7.jpg

vise-threads-1.thumb.jpg.c303695aaefb4e75c4ded69847345a24.jpg

vise-patent-solid-box.thumb.jpg.523af1c4ed99f587143397f9b976c699.jpg

Al (Steamboat)

6 hours ago, Steamboat said:

grease on the threads

I've always been told not to use grease on the threads & screw box because it collects scale & trash. The lube I use is heavy weight gear oil or chainsaw bar oil. Haven't had any problems with my oldest vise in over 30 years with just a squirt of oil every now & then.

BTW very nice find it should serve well for decades.

Irondragon, your point is well taken, interesting, and definitely worthy of consideration and further research! Here's my own spin on it (so far): Over the decades that I've spent working with tools and machines (I'm in my sixties now), I haven't arrived at any clear-cut answer. As far as the screws on most of my own machinist or woodworking vises go, I've always used a brush to apply a moderately thin film of grease containing EP additives, and for the past 30 years or so, I've been using synthetic EP greases. I've had excellent results and haven't (yet) seen any reason to change my approach, as it appears that the vise screws should continue to look great after many more decades of use. That doesn't mean that I'm not open to new information. If I see some compelling data that would favor using oil over grease for vise screws, I'd make the switch. I'm always learning new things.

The amount of debris collected by a lubricant on open vise threads could depend on so many factors that I don't even pretend to know or understand a fraction of them. The relative volume of lubricant, the relative adhesiveness of the lubricant, the depth of the lubricant, debris contact angles, surface tension, capillary action, how wettable the debris is by the lubricant, etc., etc.

As a rather non-scientific observation, I've seen some insects land on a greased surface and then fly away, whereas I've seen some land on oil and get trapped immediately. There are lots of variables and physical processes involved, so I don't think that thicker lubricant necessarily equates to stickier lubricant when it comes to trapping debris.

For sliding surfaces like the threads of a vise screw, I think that either oil or grease should work well. My current non-expert opinion is that it's important to have good EP and boundary lubricity additives in the lubricant that will remain in place and continue to provide protection as long as possible. After all, dirt isn't the only thing that wears out sliding surfaces. In many cases, such as threads that slide past each other under high pressure, galling can potentially be the prime enemy of longevity, with some metals being more prone to it than others, and I believe that EP/lubricity additives are a good defense against galling.

Just my non-expert two-cents' worth.

Al (Steamboat)

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Certainly is a nice one Al.  Thats a good price for it and a great price for a tool that will last past your lifetime. 

Thanks, Das. I suspect that I won't be the one to wear it out, even though I plan to put some mileage on it.

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

I think I saw that vise when I was at Liberty Tool myself, but I knew it wouldn’t fit in my luggage. Glad it made its way to a good home.

I try to get over to Liberty Tool two or three times a year. You never know what kinds of goodies came in with the latest shipment, and their prices are generally reasonable. There are a few other places that I like to include in that road trip, some of which usually have old tools. The Treasures and Trash Barn in Searsport is definitely worth a look.

Al (Steamboat)

3 hours ago, duckcreekforge said:

Today’s haul from the scrap yard, I think I hit the jackpot. 700# total.

That's quite a pile o' stuff. Good range of raw materials and a lot of ready-made basic shapes that you could modify or re-purpose. Looks like it includes a stack of cultivator sweeps, which could be high-carbon steel. It might be worth tracking down the manufacturer of the sweeps to see what specific kind of steel they're made of. 

Al (Steamboat)

On 9/18/2018 at 11:43 PM, duckcreekforge said:

Today’s haul from the scrap yard

Hi DCF, take a look in attached catalogue. I know, some of the parts of your bounty looks very familiar to me.

Even many of the parts are drop forged I was surprised how many hand craft and skills the South German manufacturer still needs to make the parts. Visited his factory several times.

BTW for the drop forging of one part he use different forging dies, zo not every pattern of ‘strikes’ looks the same.

Regarding the other brothers -maybe some inspiration. My favourite, the grains bouquet on page 44

Kapfer_Katalog_Einzelteile.pdf