• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/31/2018 at 6:31 PM, Gergely said:

Thanks Guys! :

Wow, Frosty, a 1200 lbs piece in Ak? That sounds like a not every day chance... 

Baja: how to forge cutting fluid? wanna talk about it a bit more?

It was in a ship's chandlery and the forge was probably 5' across, they must've had some big stuff to forge. I'd also only just started looking for blacksmithing tools and wasn't familiar with Fisher as an anvil brand. It didn't take me long to discover how rare anvils are up here, I bought an ASO to have something to work on once I discovered anvils are hard to come by here. I think it took me another two years to find a real anvil a 125lb. Soderfors Sorceress #5 who lives in my shop.

I think Baja tried counterfitting cutting fluid and got caught, Gergely. Another plan up in smoke.

I see we're typing at the same time again Thomas. Maybe Ben's the tank! 

Frosty The Lucky.

A little late, but good. Garage sale finds. Bosch 4" grinder, cut devil hot set, 1.8 lb hammer (pitted but good face) 10-11 oz Craftsman pocket axe. Original 10" handle and better than half original paint. The grinder is great, even if I didn't need nother one. The hot set is a duplicate. The hammer is nice, even if the face is too flat. And, I love the little axe. Can't imagine what it would be good for, but, now I got one. 

Hawk

image.jpeg

i really need to stay off of craigslist and marketplace lmao, found this 10in south bend (w/ the larger spindle size) about 15min from my house on craigslist. came with a 3 jaw bison chuck, 4 jaw chuck, quick change tool post with probably 10 different tool  holders, taper attachment and a whole drawer full of collets along with some other misc parts and tooling. Now if i could only find a place o put it in the shop.... time to do some cleaning lol

Snapchat-413477664.jpg

Cleaned out the shop and yard and took a load of scrap to the dump. We were having unexpected company coming, so we weren't going to be able to look around. We were just watching them unload the trailer and Tommie looked over a few feet from us  at a truck bed. He pointed and there was this little anvil just sitting there. Never came across one. We collected the money for the scrap, which was a lot more than we thought. Went back and got the anvil. The guy in the yard told them to charge us 30 dollars( US), but they gave it to us for scrap price.  It weighed 67 lbs. 11 dollars( US). It's in bad shape and may not even be usable, but we couldn't believe one was just sitting there. This is an anvil and blacksmith tooling wasteland unless you have  a pocket full of cash. And it didn't break the bank. We stopped at an estate sale on the way home and got the saw and three unused cutting disks and the  pot. It's  is going to be used as a brew kettle. $140 (US). The money from the scrap nearly covered everything. 

image.jpeg

It rings all across the top. There are no markings that we can find except the side you can see in the picture looks like there was a badge of some kind at one time.

I don't know if I need to move this post somewhere else, but here is a better picture of the anvil.

image.jpeg

Thanks guys. I was really happy we got all this stuff but the anvil kind of found us. We have our RR track anvil but even with the heel broken off  there seems to be an incredible amount of space comparatively. Maybe the TPAAAT magic will happen and they will keep coming

There's lots of life in that old lady. A portable hole is easy to make if you have bottom tools you need to use. Nice scores, II have a couple large kettles like that, one is our artichoke pot, another is the wood stove humidifier, others get used s needed. Chop saws are good.

After a day of getting the handle fitted to that long Seax I've been messing with forEver now I went garage saling. Nothing spectacular, petted a few dogs, talked to folks. Brought home a little free stuff from a helicopter ambulance outfit that's been closed a while and sold the hangar, land, house, etc. and wanted everything just gone. I got a multiple picture frame thing for Deb, a book and a box of paraffin canning wax. Yawn, I know but it was FREE! :lol:

The only real score sort of was a wheeled steel cart with a couple electric outlets for a sawbuck.  He had a really friendly old Border Collie and a couple good stories. that was a good stop.

All in all a good day, even had a little follow me home.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I ended up playing fetch with the dog while Tommie was talking shop with the guy at the estate sale. I always pet the critters wherever we go. 

Thomas

I haven't put the grinder to it,  but it rings when tapped with a hammer nearly every where except under the horn where it meets the waste. It sounds dead. It looks as though the steel is worn off in that section. It's been rode hard and put up wet for sure. 

Smart. I always make a point of making friends with any dogs at yard, garage, etc. sales. If their dog likes you you have an in with the people. Then there are the TEETH! I've gotten some good deals because the seller's dog loved me. Occasionally they fall asleep leaning on my leg while I scratch their shoulder.

I have an amusing story about half a dozen junk yard (literally) dogs and fetch. Another time maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did pretty good this week at yard sales and the thrift store. Picked up two portable AC units to help with the 113F we had today..... One used 8,000 BTU unit that needs a new plug for $5.99, and a new in the box $500 14,000 BTU unit at an estate sale for $100. Miscellaneous hand tools; pliers, floor jack, c-clamps, tin shears, bamboo workbench top, Flex-Angle shear etc for free at the same sale. Blah blah blah, but the big score for me was at my local library Saturday. It is common that when someone passes they donate their home libraries to our tiny county library. There must have been a literal ton of books out back Saturday with a free sign on them.. I got a big pile of books for myself and friends.  The 23 volume set of of the Zohar I got for a friend turned out to be worth around $250 on the low end. Both he and I plan on making a monetary donation to the library even though they insist that none is needed. In the past I have found gems like tech manuals for Hamilton Standard variable pitch propellers and Stromberg aircraft carbs donated.  I found a pair of suede pants my size that look like my welding leathers for $7.50 at the thrift store.  Turns out that they are Ralph Lauren's and similar ones are listed for $400 on up, so no welding in their future but an ad putting them up for sale instead. 

Work is coughing up some more used RS #80-3 chain.

Went on holiday and family visit in my home town in Germany. A good friend of my arranged a piece of 7ft spare RR-rail of 255lbs. I cut the rail into 3pcs of 2ft and one pcs of 1ft.

Because the 9 ½ in Bosch angle grinder my friend take care off, had no disk protection I was forced to buy a harbour fright 9 ½ in angle grinder and use his disk protection.

Will post the hf-grinder on Dutch & Belgium CL for sale to avoid to offend my Makita 9 ½ AG to must lie next to him:wacko:.

Regarding the RR, I will made another two improvised vertical anvils and stands according to the suggestions of Charles treat(s). They have to fulfil following requirements too –portable and easy to mount during classes abroad and supplied with a bigger face/surface (not only the cross section of the rail) to flatten bigger areas of the work piece.

Will scroll through Charles post (thankfully and with salutations to him) again and make some picture prints of ideas most suitable for my needs:D.

Cheers, Der Hans

DSC00619.JPG

DSC00618.JPG

Good that you will be using them in class. That means you will be conveying lessons not only about forging technique as such, but also that you don’t need a “standard” anvil to get started in blacksmithing.

A guy I know, who works at a power plant, brought me a bucket of the finest ground coal dust I’ve ever seen. Should be perfect for punching holes. I didn’t realized the modern coal burning power plants grind up their coal and blow it in to burn it. I had always assumed it was lump coal. 

Also got some bronze to forge. 

5874F57A-52F1-49EF-9DF1-E9278BB0EC0F.jpeg

BBABC288-F2F4-40F9-B314-110665595827.jpeg