• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thing didn't follow me home, but presented itself for view in the scrap pile as an interesting shape. I don't know what it is, but I have seen similar shaped devices used for hanging roo and sheep carcasses, the ankles tied around the hooks. Can't see what purpose the notches serve though. It also looks a bit like a pack saddle tree but perhaps a bit light for that, and the swivel hook would be out of place.

Anyway, whatever it is I think closed up a bit it would make a fine tail for a lyre bird.

lyre tail.JPG

Aus,

The device bears a resemblance to the old trammels that were used to adjustably hang a pot bale (bucket type handle), or similar device over a cooking fire.

Your device seems to be used to adjustably hold two items. One hanging on each end of the "beam" with the attachment swivel means as the "pivot".

The afore-going is a clumsy attempt at describing a  (weighing?) lever, with your tool being the adjustable lever arm.

in other words it looks like a variety of steelyard.

Check out, 

www.lewis-clark.org/article/2865

for a drawing of one.

The device may be of some value.

I suggest that you check it out with a local feed store or, better yet, a museum that has a collection of old tools.

Hope that helps,

SLAG.

Gergely, those are two sulkies. A sulky is a light two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicle for one person used in harness racing. Aaand, I didnt see that John covered that lol.

Aus, that looks like a kind of gambrel to me as well. Maybe it had hooks for either side to hang smaller game. I like the idea. 

Nice morning at the fleamarket: Another hardbound copy of the 1897 Sears Roebuck catalog (QS Fodder), 4# sledge head (Q-SF, good sized ballpeen (Q-SF)  Hewing Hatchet head---one side bevel (Approved tools in an oval over DUNLAP),  Small drilling hammer head Iron CIty in a star!), 3 nice and rusty wrenches,  US$12 total

Then stopped by my Mothers to check out the filling in of the in  ground pool they had paid so much to install 25 years ago; but with 3 small kids in the house and no adult willing to take care of it I am happy to see it become a large sandbox...

Today was a lot more. Atleast 9 lawnmowers. New stainless table, newish gas grill and 2 almost full propane tanks, 2 rototillers, a 10 speed, heavy steel doors, a disc harrow, 3 industrial jig saw machines, a stainless griddle, a stainless pizza oven, an ice maker, an aluminum ramp and so much more including the kitchen sinks. 

IMG_24062018_184839.jpg

IMG_24062018_184858.jpg

IMG_24062018_184909.jpg

IMG_24062018_184932.jpg

On 6/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, journey333 said:

Any idea what a copper or brass hammer would be used for? 

Nice day of garage saling!! A bit much for the wood mallet maybe but great on the rest. Copper and brass hammers are also used where sparks might cause problems, say the gun powder works, fuel tank farm, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, iron woodrow said:

Just scraped through without having to chop the house in half....

What? You mean Karla objected to having the Massey in the lounge room??

Yeah Biggun, there are some great items. It was so much work the past two days that it turned me into a wounded bear and Elizabeth poked me with a stick while I was unloading yesterday but we are talking like human beings again. I think we'll be ok. ;)

Good afternoon folks,

I am so excited! I found a couple of gems that need just a little cleaning up and I know will be put to good use.  I was informed about an estate sale going on today and tomorrow in these two items were of the four blacksmithing items in that sale. I just could not wait until tomorrow, as any of you could guess they could have possibly been gone by then. I got the pair for $200!!!

00914D2C-FA5E-41EE-854B-6F5960FF05F4.jpeg

67C7B150-2341-4E46-9AB7-FA18D4C6884F.jpeg

BBB8A687-0F5B-43BD-8743-DAFA5A19DF89.jpeg

345A5ACD-FC14-41B5-BBD6-1BBF971D8BF3.jpeg

F02F6A3A-8218-4864-9A58-4C4E8E199F4F.jpeg

2D11E092-DC1C-45A2-BAC7-72F9782CEDFE.jpeg

By the way, this is in Wichita, Kansas.