• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No my personal state; New Mexico has quite a sufficiency of gorm!  (We even voted down changes to the science curriculum that were proposed to "support other opinions"; the letters to the editor of the Albuquerque Journal  did a quite savage savaging of the concept of science by opinion...Of course have a number of top research organizations out here helps. I used to work for NRAO and have visited Los Alamos, Alamogordo and the Trinity site---not much there as is to be expected after the first atomic bomb test...)

15 hours ago, genesaika said:

I was walking around the job site waiting for a delivery when I found this in the trash. It's about a foot of chain from a large roll up door. I'm planning to make a hold down with it once I figure out how to do that on my sledge hammer anvil haha.

Check out this thread for a few ideas. Remember that as long as your chain is in contact with your workpiece, you can use pretty much anything to connect it to your weight or spring (so long as it's reasonably heat-resistant).

45 minutes ago, genesaika said:

My big problem is the 2" or 2-1/2" surface of my anvil, I'm thinking about using a block of wood to extend the face.

Here's an idea: have a block of wood at a short distance from your anvil (perhaps hinged so that it can flip up when needed and down out of the way when not). Then you can rest the workpiece as a bridge from that block to the anvil, drape the chain and its weight in between the two, and have hands free to do your chiseling or whatever. Something like this:

B765C846-6AB5-4989-AF16-3DEE870F33D2.jpeg

On 1/30/2018 at 4:51 PM, Charcold said:

Wowza, ya that's a massive anvil to move in and out! 

Yeah, I have to wait for the dirt driveway to firm-up in the spring or those metal cart wheels will just sink right in after leaving the cement garage floor.  I'd leave the whole affair in the garage door opening on the cement, but I'm afraid the wind will change on me and blow CO into the garage which is below the house.  Can't be too safe when it concerns your family and CO.

10 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

It's going to get lots of use. :) she got the 2 year warranty as well thankfully. Hopefully it holds up to many more years of use then that tho.  I kinda like when the manual has a parts list. Just wonder IF you can buy those parts. 

The main things to wear on them (other than blades) are normally the rubber drive wheels, and the guide rollers. Milwaukee or Dewalt "should" fit for those. The threading on the guide rollers may be different though. I'll look and see, I think I have extras I could send you one of to know for sure.

When you get more blades, go with Lenox or Milwaukee. Don't skimp on them or it will just frustrate the heck out of you. Company I worked for supplied most of our consumables like 4 inch grinder wheels, portaband blades etc... They always bought bulk junk and you end up using 3 times as many to do the job.

Use the work stop guide on it. It will act kind of like a sawzall and jump on you if you don't. Quick way to snap a blade.

4 minutes ago, sfeile said:

Company I worked for supplied most of our consumables like 4 inch grinder wheels, portaband blades etc... They always bought bulk junk and you end up using 3 times as many to do the job.

The one I work for does the same thing. We have a large (14’ blade) bandsaw as well and a portaband in my department and they usually buy the cheap stuff. When I first transferred to that department they used Lenox blades on the large saw and we could cut for a few days on the one blade before it got dull enough to affect performance (wandering cuts, binding blade, etc). Then they decided to get the cheaper ones now we have to replace the blades after every couple cuts. Sometimes that means two or three blades a day. We can make one cut on a piece of 6 5/8” od schedule 40 galvanized pipe and then we usually have to change the blade before we can make another cut. 

Of course I get the privilege of disposing of the old blades so I don’t complain as much as I could. 

I was always out in the field trying to cut with crappy blades in a portaband. They did keep a few good ones for the big saw in the fab shop, but a cheap portaband blade will not cut much 6 inch schedule 40 pipe. Takes up half your gang box just filling it with enough blades for a couple days. And you are always upside-down in some mud hole when they break too. Makes for some colorful language echoing out over the generator haha!