I Forge Iron

Motorcycle chain holddown

JHCC

A variation on the classic chain holddown: two sections of motorcycle drive chain, weighted down with bell clappers. Rather than attaching to a single point (a hook or the like) at the fixed end, the chains can be positioned on a heavy wire slide. This way, they can hold a workpiece either separated or side-by-side as circumstances require; they can also be positioned at almost any point on the length of the anvil's face.

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3472.JPG

When not in use, each chain drops down to the anvil's base.

IMG_3471.JPG

Drive chain hold downs are darned effective, nicely done John. I've seen a T bar anchor that slips through the hardy hole and lets work be secured lengthwise on the anvil. Especially handy if you want to use the step.

I think a weight is a LOT handier than springs but either way they're effective hold downs.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, made some proper handles:

IMG_3482.JPG

Each handle is bent from 17" of 1/4" x 3/4" flat bar.

IMG_3485.JPG

The handles attach to the clapper stems with heavy wire "staples". The loop of the staple goes through the chain in the back.

IMG_3486.JPG

The chains can be crossed over to give extra holding power in a smaller spot.

IMG_3484.JPG

No photo, but the handles and weights go all the way under the stand when not in use.

The handles are great for lifting and positioning the weights, so I'm definitely leaving them where they are. However, it would be fairly easy to attach a stirrup to the bottom of the chain or the bottom of weight if some additional holding power is needed. Thanks for the suggestion; I will certainly keep that in mind.

This thread convinced me to make my own variation that has ideas stolen from a few different sources. The weights work, but I think a foot pedal provides superior clamping force. The chain can easily be kicked off the peg welded to the pedal, and the pedal and chain can be removed entirely with just two pins.

DSCF4268.JPG

DSCF4270.JPG

DSCF4272.JPG

• 1 month later...

As noted over in the “What did you do in the shop today” thread, the wire proof-of-concept slide (see top photo) gave up the ghost, so I made a new one from 1/2” round:

22C73512-74C2-49CF-B4F3-C7B0BFD08146.jpeg

Close-up of how it’s attached:

6AD13121-9BE4-400A-BC5A-C0CABCFF8580.jpeg

The tabs are a bit thin, because I accidentally made them too short and had to draw them out a bit more than originally planned. Still nice and solid, though. 

• 3 months later...

I am planning a variation of this when I get some time. The slide bar will be a handle, as that's already needed on my stump to tilt back onto casters for moving in and out of the garage plus hanging hammers on. The hooks attaching it will be open enough to remove with similar weights on the other end, so that i can remove the hold down when moving the anvil around. May use a heavy duty carabiner for the connection between chain and handle for a secure removable setup. 

13 minutes ago, Charcold said:

May use a heavy duty carabiner for the connection between chain and handle for a secure removable setup. 

Now that’s an interesting idea. I might give that a try, but with the carabiner as the connection between the chain and the slide. That way, the whole chain-and-handle assembly could be unhooked and put elsewhere, if necessary. 

• 1 month later...