• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this thing is better for localized higher red heat. Just got to start playing with this one and was bending some tough 3/16" higher carbon nail spider legs. I'll need to work with it and the additional coils to see what its limitations are on size of stock and heat but it does say no more then 2 minutes on at a time. 

How about setting rivets? Yeah, most induction forges use copper tubing for the coils so water can be pumped through it to keep it from melting. The current doesn't heat the coils it's the IR from the stock being heated that cooks the coil.

One on the site says it'll heat a 3/4" nut to red in 15 seconds with 220v -230v input. 

A friend of mine is or was handling the induction forges Grant Sarver was producing(?) and I've wanted one of these puppies since I first read about them. One was on my list after I got the shop finished. Stupid tree! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

We just got an induction cooktop in our kitchen, and it's pretty amazing how the magnetic coil heats the pan, but not the cooktop itself. Of course, you have to use pans with bottoms that a magnet will stick to, which is why our old pasta pot is now a quench tank.

How about setting rivets? Yeah, most induction forges use copper tubing for the coils so water can be pumped through it to keep it from melting. The current doesn't heat the coils it's the IR from the stock being heated that cooks the coil.

One on the site says it'll heat a 3/4" nut to red in 15 seconds with 220v -230v input. 

A friend of mine is or was handling the induction forges Grant Sarver was producing(?) and I've wanted one of these puppies since I first read about them. One was on my list after I got the shop finished. Stupid tree! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

Could you use say a 220 tombstone welder as your power supply for something like that?

Oh the Restore is dangerous. Upon finding some old non coated wrenches and other great scrap art pieces my buddy showed me a stainless sink and some green coated chicken wire rolls. Upon asking the price I couldn't pass them up at $30 for the sink, and $5 a roll for the chicken wire. So now I need to build a wheeled cart for my new chicken butchering station. Yeah and I have more fodder for scrap art :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The ones I have gone too are variable; my favorite has things at above new price to absolutely ridiculously cheap----unused roll of HEAVY grounding wire US$5????????. I also got my 10' spiral seamed ductwork for the forge chimney at that one for $4 for 10' section.

While the one in the town next door is basically a thrift store full of household junk and very little building materials.

I keep checking the duct pipe but so far nothing I can use. Also the shelf they keep the 2" black iron pipe. Every time there is a usable piece I grab it because they price that stuff cheap. There always seem to be more small old tools thrown into the mix that usually look like they were off a fleamarket table. I never know if the price is what they want or if it was just on it before so I'll pass on some things but usually if I make up a box or pile of rusty old tools they will price it low. 

Resale stores like that are just like fleamarkets where you have to just bargain hunt and know what stuff goes for. 

I am currently working on a Hugh McDonald hot meta l roller. With that said my neighbor gave me this today.IMG_3945s.thumb.jpg.ee5376aebe54c4d411085e79a0efa962.jpg

IMG_3946s.thumb.jpg.3d009fd6521d34cac9eeff2f80a7fc02.jpg

IMG_3947s.thumb.jpg.6acc058a770d5ef985dd1747609352c7.jpg

IMG_3948s.thumb.jpg.872879522d72a2dceaf1c5b9735d48a1.jpg

IMG_3949s.thumb.jpg.20f715118819beff2e462e257e59d6eb.jpg

Now if you are wondering what it is then let me do away with the mystery. It is a home made horse walker. Just look at the pully wheel and chain and sprockets. This is the missing link to my hot metal roller.