I Forge Iron

It followed me home

12 minutes ago, Kevin_Olson said:

How did you get it for free. Our bodyshop has paid top ching for those when we get a super bad hit in.

A guy I work with does side work and replaced this one because the mount brackets are rusted out at the bolt locations. Still plenty enough there to hold coal, just not enough to hold it to the truck. :)  

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Last Friday a very nice MP Farriers 90lb anvil followed me home. My wife is in love with it (knew she would be). Now she has her own anvil. The bonus is that's how I found this site by googling MP anvil.:)

Dick Cropper of Chatsworth, California, founded the Multiproducts farrier tool company about 1960 and had the anvils and some of the tools made in Japan.

Just go at home from the scrap yard after only finding one thing I could use but couldn't afford right now. They had a set of forks that looked to be off of a really large fork lift measuring 3"+ thick on the large flat. Would've been great for the striking anvil I want.

My wife went with me today (as she usually does) and saw a yard sale sign on the way home. I found an item that could be kitchen related or medical related. I tried looking online and they long like crucible tongs but I'd love to know other people's opinions.

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

I'm going to straighten the tip on the farriers tongs and use them.

not sure what the crowbar is made of yet. I don't know how to tell other than smack it with a hammer and see if it rings or goes "thud".

I will take a grinder to it when I get home and check out the sparks. I'd say it's not likely high carbon but I'm a noob.   :)

I'd see how they react in copper sulfate solution and consider them perfect for handling stuff being plated, or having plating stripped. The couple times I "amputated" a liver I had someone else pull while I cut it loose. That forcep(?) is nowhere large enough to hold a moose liver, seriously they weigh in around 20lbs. Actually pretty tasty for liver, same texture though. Ugh.

I don't know what I'd eventually use them for but you bet I'd grab them at a garage, yard, etc. sale for a good price.

I call, GOOD SCORE! :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Spark test it and see. Speculating I'd say steel or it wouldn't be a lot of use. WI tends to bend more easily than mild steel and that looks like the factory bend and the foot isn't out of shape. Were I to want to, I'd put a couple bucks on Steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Medium to high carbon steel, probably around 1070 give or take. Nice sparklers but not frying bacon sizzle.

I grab pry bars when they're cheap, excellent steel well worth a little speculation money. Good for pry tools, bottom tools, heavy use blades say axes, hawks, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 minutes ago, Alan Evans said:

Is Monel used for medical tools? Never knew that.

I thought they were for lifting stuff out of a boiling water steriliser (Autoclave?) like jars and bottles when bottling fruit.

Alan

I don't know but it's hard to get a strong metal more inert than Monel. I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

I gotta get moving I have a little hammer in to get to and there are garage sales all the way in. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Some good quick responses lol.

Tubal, thank you for telling me it could be used for liver extraction. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to remove a liver :) 

Jim and Alan, your both mentioning things along the lines of what I was originally thinking when I saw them. They are much too small for heavy lifting but could be good for sterilizing jars for canning. 

Frosty, I'll have to look into you suggestion about the copper sulfate and plating uses. I didn't have any specific use in mind when I got them and you don't want me to tell you that I didn't pay hardly anything for them ($5 for everything you could fit in a 13 gal trash bag these fell in with all the junk my wife found lol). You also have me wanting to try moose liver now, thank you, I can't even get my wife to fix chicken or beef livers so I doubt I'll get to try moose. 

21 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

How about I just look you up if I ever make it to the UK? I have a growing list of people to find when I finally get around to traveling out my little bubble I live in.  

You would be very welcome, in fact if you are here within the next hour I will set another place at the table, I have just been informed we are having venison stew!

16 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

it is my experience that liver travels best in the deer.

I agree! Along with our vegetables in its tummy...that is why I bought a rifle, crop protection...I reckoned if they were going to eat some of Lesley's wonderful organic produce, it was fair enough that we should eat some of them. 

Alan

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Medium to high carbon steel, probably around 1070 give or take. Nice sparklers but not frying bacon sizzle.

I grab pry bars when they're cheap, excellent steel well worth a little speculation money. Good for pry tools, bottom tools, heavy use blades say axes, hawks, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome! 

Thank you sir!

6 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

You would be very welcome, in fact if you are here within the next hour I will set another place at the table, I have just been informed we are having venison stew!

Sounds like I missed a good meal. I had pizza for dinner and wasn't that impressed. :( 

3 hours ago, Melw45 said:

Found a vise today. My wife said go ahead and get it.

The lady running the used mining equipment yard tossed  in the 8 lb sledge head.

Will post more pics in the vice forum.

Thanks for looking.

Mel

I found mine at the scrap yard some time back and I found out after I bought it my wife was hoping I did. She was smiling when I put it in the truck and I got in. When I asked she told me she was glad I got it that way she didn't have to hear me grumbling to myself about not getting it.