I Forge Iron

It followed me home

You gentlemen got me really intrigued.

So.   I did a search for lead test strips and came up a winner.

I will post only one of a raft of hits for such test kits.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-LeadCheck-Instant-Lead-Test-Swabs-2-Pack-LC-2SDC6/203313743

Glenn if this is not o.k. for the site please remove the reference.

"lead test kits" was a great search phrase.

Regards,

SLAG.

I prefer cast iron skillets to Teflon coated cooking pans. They are great as soon as you learn how to season them and keep them seasoned. YouTube has many references for that procedure.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SLAG said:

t iron skillets to Teflon coated cooking pans. They are great as soon as you learn how to season them and keep them seasoned. YouTube has many references for that procedure.

Me too, just cook lots of bacon after the initial seasoning and you'll be good ;)

A couple of years back I learned about the lye soak to remove the crudded up build up from old cast iron.  Doesn't run the risk of warping like the old burnoff method and I know how to handle lye safely so it's my go to method now.  I also tend to keep a small tin of bacon grease in the freezer for when I need to season a pan...

I keep a LARGE container of bacon grease in my freezer, to cook bacon in. It doesn't make the bacon any more greasy, but it does mean that the bacon cooks perfectly evenly, rather than overdone where it touches the pan and underdone everywhere else.

57 minutes ago, JHCC said:

That oval plate is what they call a "sizzle platter" in the restaurant business. The chef heats it up in the oven, puts it on a matching plate (usually wood), and puts sauteed food in it just before it's served. The sauce on the food sizzles and pops, the moisture goes up in a cloud of fragrant steam, and everyone snaps to attention as the server brings it to the table. A classic example of "Sell the sizzle, not the steak."

Thank you, I would have never guessed that.

yep, I enjoy cast iron a lot.

Littleblacksmith

fry chicken until it tastes right then fry fish until it tastes right then keep it away from soap and water .  Repeat next week...and next.  Oh and those people that say fried food is bad for ya use Teflon coated pans.  My cast iron came from my grandparents 

Papy 

53 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

Oh and those people that say fried food is bad for ya

:o No, its bad if you don't have fried food in your life!

Littleblacksmith

5 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Nice clean up on the cast iron LBS. I love my cast iron pans. That last pic of the bottom looks like a Lodge brand from the 1960s. Do the lids have drip points or rings on the underside?

Thanks! Ok thank you, I have seen ones like it before, but never knew. The largest lid has drip points but the other smaller ones don't. What do you mean by rings? they all have a lip that would fit inside the pot they are for so they don't slide off so easy.

Littleblacksmith

25 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Well the lodge cast iron lids had a pattern of drip, or basting, points. The Griswold and I think Wagner had concentric rings that the condensed steam would drip down from, thereby basting the food in the pan was the idea.

ok, yeah, I have a lodge that has those drip points, so wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Good bit of information to store away. Thanks!

Littleblacksmith

Went to the scrap yard and found a nice stainless table for my new 2x72 with removable shelves and some nice clean springs. $30 all in.

IMG_4896.JPG

I added an 1 1/2" wood top that I had leftover from another project and then capped it with a steel plate that I had leftover as well. 

Now I just need to sand the edges of the wood and trim down the back and I'm in business.

IMG_4900.JPG

We took the propane tank that we are making a forge out of to a friends and my wife used their Miller plasma cutter to open it up. She said we gotta get one of those. Soooo a trip to Welsco and a Victor Cutmaster 42 with an SL60 torch + accessories followed us home. Used it to cut up a bunch of material into more easily handled pieces in about 2 hours (would have taken all day with the O/A cutting torch) and cut up the metal for our pack forge retro fire pot & hearth. It's like a hot knife through butter, probably never fire up the O/A torch again.

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

We took the propane tank that we are making a forge out of to a friends and my wife used their Miller plasma cutter to open it up.

Please tell me it was a brand new propane tank that never had fuel in it. If not you're giving other people the impression it's safe to use fire to open containers with flammable residue in it.

Good looking coal bin Aric. I think needs some wheels to make moving it around easier.

2 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Please tell me it was a brand new propane tank that never had fuel in it. If not you're giving other people the impression it's safe to use fire to open containers with flammable residue in it.

No it was a used old outdated tank, that had the valve removed and flushed with water and bleach. No residue at all, not even a smell or woof when cut.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

No it was a used old outdated tank, that had the valve removed and flushed with water and bleach. No residue at all, not even a smell or woof when cut.

Gotcha. I had an I'd one I thought I flushed thoroughly flare up on me while I was using an angle grinder to cut it open. That's the last time I cut open a propane tank.