I Forge Iron

It followed me home

2 hours ago, Dave51B said:

I wouldn't think the feet are missing, the little plates are underneath the load from the pedal.   I'm guessing the base is a purpose made modification to get that baby portable & originally had a permanent post mount.  Any evidence that the leg has been shortened?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is working on her sainthood as she did not complain a bit about unloading part of the minivan and letting me add 3 sacks of coal to it and then reloading on the way out of Quad-State Sunday.  I picked up a postvise for $40 which was quite a bit cheaper than most I saw that still had a decent screw/screwbox on them...goes to my apprentice.  Got lots of H13 rod for punches and a nice chunk of Ti (CP2?) Bought a couple of tongs  and a wrench to make a twisting wrench from, some books---Including Steves as he was pointing out that I suggest JPH's and not his.  So I can read Steve's and  start suggesting it as well...   Topped off the load with some blacksmith themed T shirts and it was all uphill to NM!

Gee whiz Thomas! You are very fortunate to have such a supportive (or tolerant, or enthusiastic) spouse.

Just returned from or 26th anniversary trip to Ventura, and in exchange for a very nice dinner (which I also got to partake of), THIS followed me home: 

20160923_175417.jpg

Three gallons of slow-mo crude oil as it runs out of the hillside and into a creek ditch along the highway, halfway between Ojai and Santa Paula.

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Are there missing feet? Never seen one of these before, is it from a farriers field tool box for holding shoes? is it meant to have spikes to anchor it?

Heck, I don't know..... I just had to have it.  Made by H J Boice, Fayette, OH.

7 hours ago, aessinus said:

I wouldn't think the feet are missing, the little plates are underneath the load from the pedal.   I'm guessing the base is a purpose made modification to get that baby portable & originally had a permanent post mount.  Any evidence that the leg has been shortened?

I haven't done my research yet. But the jaw moves to both sides. So I don't know. Also, the moveable jaw hinge is adjustable for height. Hopefully my search will be successful .        Thanks                Dave 

On 9/29/2016 at 1:40 AM, Dave51B said:

Heck, I don't know..... I just had to have it.  Made by H J Boice, Fayette, OH.

I haven't done my research yet. But the jaw moves to both sides. So I don't know. Also, the moveable jaw hinge is adjustable for height. Hopefully my search will be successful .        Thanks                Dave 

Can you take a photograph of the foot pedal cam system...I can't quite figure it. From the original images it looks like it would lock the jaw in a position rather than put much pressure on it. So I was wondering if it was a heavy duty version of the saddler's leg clamp...the one like a pair of skis held between the knees.  

But the angle the closed jaws form with the jaw on the side shown is a puzzle, difficult to get to any workpiece with horizontal tool...a needle or a file...so maybe for driving down...some type of caulking process? Any research on the makers' other products? 

Just had another look at the space contained by the swan neck of the moving jaw...A hollow vessel hat or jug/pot? probably not, a circular object would need curved jaws hmmm...

Alan

http://www.anvilfire.com/vises/index.php 

This link is all I have found so far. ( about 2/3 down the page)

2 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Can you take a photograph of the foot pedal cam system...I can't quite figure it. From the original images it looks like it would lock the jaw in a position rather than put much pressure on it. So I was wondering if it was a heavy duty version of the saddler's leg clamp...the one like a pair of skis held between the knees.  

But the angle the closed jaws form with the jaw on the side shown is a puzzle, difficult to get to any workpiece with horizontal tool...a needle or a file...so maybe for driving down...some type of caulking process? Any research on the makers' other products? 

Just had another look at the space contained by the swan neck of the moving jaw...A hollow vessel hat or jug/pot? probably not, a circular object would need curved jaws hmmm...

Alan

I have got it loosened up an working. It just opens up by it's own weight and gravity. The closing joint is kind of like a saddled ski slope. A little oil and grease and she works great.

I have a Blacksmith meeting Saturday, I am going to take it along for show and tell....     Life is good          Dave     

Today's finding is this old hammerhead from East-Germany. It has real elegant lines but I don't think the picture shows them well. It's a 1kg-er so almost ideal weight for me - a bit light but with the nose-heavy contsruction it's gonna be ok. A couple days ago I found a wrench from the same manufacturer (Smalcalda) at the local scrapyard - pretty couple :)

2016 10 kalapács.jpg

2016 10 kalapács és áll vill kulcs.jpg

This other old and pretty 1kg-er followed me home many weeks earlier, but only this week gained its final reborn state.

2016 09 kalapács 1kg.jpg

I know used golf balls are very usual commodities in the US but around here they are like white crows. So I was very glad to see them at today's fleamarket. Bought 10 of them - the problem of rehandling old files is solved for now.

2016 10 golflabdák.jpg

Also this 10" wide roller followed me home some times ago from a scrap yard - and it became the main part of this little roller stand:

2016 09 görgős állvány.jpg

Thanks for looking, bests:

Gergely

6 hours ago, Americanzero said:

6 sticks of mystery iron, and a new upsetting block/ rivet header! Going to drill in some divots for different sized rivets. It weights close to 8 lb on its own. If the sticks spark hard enough they will become my first chisels, drifts, and punches!

If it's only mild you still can use it for drifts!

Bests:

Gergely

Took another trip to the scrap yard today, and did really well for the short amount of time there. what all I found: a short section of old railroad track, a few (what I call) plantation hoes, an old scale weight, a small smelting ladle, a 12 lb sledge hammer head that I then wire wheeled and put a new handle in, a 4'X4' piece of 14g sheet metal (bought new), and last but far from least, a functioning leg vice! the vice has 4 1/4" jaws, the handle is bent, and so is the leg. I will hopefully forge a new handle for it, and will straighten the leg. also it has a little trouble opening at the pivot point, but I don't really want to have to cut of the bolt. was thinking a little heat, and grease?IMG_5140[1].JPG

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5141[1].JPG

IMG_5142[1].JPG

IMG_5143[1].JPG

IMG_5145[1].JPG

Smelting is taking ore and refining it into metal.  Your ladle is for melting lead or babbitt.

I'd find a friend with an O-A torch and heat the handle till I could hand bend it enough that it would pass the bent section till it was the far end from the knob and use a forge to heat and straighten it.  Most likely the bar and the leg will be real wrought iron and will be very soft at working temp but do not work it cold!!!!

On 3/5/2016 at 6:23 PM, the iron dwarf said:

something I found today, made by allday and onions, a very large and unused tue / tuyre

has tag from maker and is about 1 1/8" 28mm bore

SAM_0468.JPG

I realise this is now a few months old but where the xxxx did you find that!? It looks un-used! 

PM me bud. I am potentially interested in buying this if you still have it. 

Andy

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Smelting is taking ore and refining it into metal.  Your ladle is for melting lead or babbitt.

I'd find a friend with an O-A torch and heat the handle till I could hand bend it enough that it would pass the bent section till it was the far end from the knob and use a forge to heat and straighten it.  Most likely the bar and the leg will be real wrought iron and will be very soft at working temp but do not work it cold!!!!

Sorry about that, I was reading over it before I posted, and thought something looked strange!

Any advice on getting the pivoting point easier to move? its kinda stuck at this point....

Littleblacksmith

"it has a little trouble opening at the pivot point" which is a good thing. Put penetrating oil on the joint and let it soak in. Then apply more penetrating oil and move the joint without pushing it. Let it soak in. Now more penetrating oil, a little movement, more oil, etc etc. You are working the oil into all the crud, rust, etc that has built up over the years. It should free up.

Lubricate the screw and screw box before you use the vise on a regular basis.

Well first thing I do with a new vise is to take it apart: Pop the pivot bolt out and tap the moving jaw out. Then you can clean the cheeks and the pivot hole with SiC paper to remove any old rust---sometimes there can be some amazing pitting hidden down there; but cleaning it up/out and oiling works well. For very worn pivots I will drill them out to the next size up---I always looking for old square head bolts and nuts at the scrapyard for this.  Worse case was the one that I heat shrunk and riveted a piece of steel in the moving jaw pivot hole and re drilled it to make the jaws align better vertically.

I also like to soak the screwbox and screw in diesel or kerosene to loosen up any hardened grease  (had tennis ball cans that were great for smaller vises as they didn't take much to fill) after a week soaking I'd use a wire brush---regular one for the screw and bottle brush for the screwbox. Then rinse them well and dry them and oil them and re-assemble.  Last one I did a repair on we forge welded up the leg that had a green stick fracture and then wrapped it with a piece of wrought iron and forge welded up that too.

On 9/28/2016 at 0:59 PM, Anachronist58 said:

Gee whiz Thomas! You are very fortunate to have such a supportive (or tolerant, or enthusiastic) spouse.

Just returned from or 26th anniversary trip to Ventura, and in exchange for a very nice dinner (which I also got to partake of), THIS followed me home: 

20160923_175417.jpg

Three gallons of slow-mo crude oil as it runs out of the hillside and into a creek ditch along the highway, halfway between Ojai and Santa Paula.

How are going to use the crude.  Second. What. It just runs out of a hill into a ditch. Where does it go from there. Im thinking tha EPA would be all over that. 

Yeppers Thomas, La Brea is the Poster Child for what follows Below:

To answer the second question first (because it's an easier question to answer): The EPA can not always protect the environment from itself - as a large area (Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, to Bakersfield, and Beyond) is riddled with natural oil seeps.

Off the coasts of Santa Barbara and Ventura, being riddled with (earthquake) faults, thousands of barrels of crude seep out each year, sink to the seafloor, float up to the surface, and wash up on the beach.  The Volatile Aromatic Hydrocarbons escape into the air.

When the EPA finds a way to control volcanic eruptions, and/or fine the volcanoes for polluting, they will be in a position to do something about oil seeps.

Now at the site pictured, there is evidence that road crews periodically (likely during Winter) dig out the Bitumen ("stiff" oil) and pile it up in a clearing, where it finally converts to Asphalt.

And lastly, I am studying (as an Amateur) all carbon based materials, e.g.: Olives, wood, bark, beetle dung; to extract heat energy in "closed system" retorts (pyrolizers).

In other words, I like making CHARCOAL!!

Robert Taylor