I Forge Iron

It followed me home

50 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

I came up with a couple several months back and this was the reply.  Hope it helps. I cut one it was harder then heck.  I keep forgetting to throw it in the forge to heat treat test.  

Papy

Thanks, Papy.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These happened to find their way into the back of my truck today. All for under 45 bucks. 8# straight peen 8# sledge two 3# hammers 17 rr spikes fire extinguisher (hopefully it is steel so I can make it into a crucible) a punch some round stock and the army duffle bag and 3 axe heads

IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

Went by the Las Cruces NM fleamarket today and besides stocking up on english muffins I bought a hewing hatchet head; oldy it's steeled---the cutting edge was a strip of high carbon steel forge welded to the body of the hatchet. I'm still figuring out if it was a folded body or a slit and drifted one There is a visible line at the poll and front end of the eye so I'm leaning toward slit and drifted..

Lots of life left to it and no Idjit has ever put a bevel on the back side of the edge!!!!  Now to stroll down to the pecan trimmings pile and pick out a piece to drawknife into a handle...

US$5

It's getting bad. Things just keep begging for me to rescue them and put them back to work. Got this rock island 574 today for 60 bucks at the flea market. Weighed about 75# and is very smooth opens to 7-8 inches

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

i have one i set it on right after i took the picture. my old truck (plow truck) isn't anything that can have much more damage done to it and notice, so i tend to get careless at times but its perfect for me. covered in dirt and grease and dented up but still a runner. the back was too full to put it in because the rest of my blacksmithing gear is in it

Here are some soon-to-be post anvils that I got from a machine shop estate sale. The round one is 4140, the hex pieces were unmarked but were in a big pile of tool steel. I also picked up a few random pieces of tool steel and some vintage paper micarta.

IMG_0557.jpg

3 minutes ago, MrDarkNebulah said:

Dude! Wow!

That is sweet!

That can of Welch's looks delicious. What a score man!

I mean i guess the metal isnt bad either though...

I would caution you, that can is filled and is under pressure; You may want to rethink making a welches post anvil... 

LOL, great score! Think of the different radii you can put on those hex anvils! 

I'm running a "recycling" program at work.  I'm offering $10 off of bed delivery when a customer brings in their old metal bed frame for "recycling".  It costs me $2.50 to offer the ten dollar discount, and yields me about $80 worth the angle iron, if purchased as stock at HD.  So far, I've gotten 8 assorted frames, and 4 of those have tested out as High Carbon steel.  Lots of hinges, hangers, and decorative scroll in my immediate future...

Won't be long till you are Major Mayhem with thinking like that!   I just tend to go by the dumpsters when the university's semester is over; hmmm this weekend for instance.

Thanks very much for the testing results; spark or quench or both or a mix...?

I like a little general mayhem. Bed frames are handy stock in general folk usually just give them to you at yard, garage, moving, etc. sales nobody wants to pay for them and it saves a dump run.

Frosty The Lucky.

the lines on that hammer is like to give me a toolgasm!  Next time you replace the handle think of using a faceted handle as well if they suit you hand...

Chain is almost always useful; I once found a heavy chain buried in a spoil pile and drug it the mile home behind the truck to clean off the rust some. I always look for "odd" chain at the scrapyard to use in handforged projects where I don't plan to forge one myself, (tends to up the price a bunch if I do it)

yesterday my brother and I went to the scrap yard and picked up some stuff including an axe head, hatchet head, an old simplex railroad jack, a large crowbar, some hammers- 4lb,3lb,8lb, a meat grinder (not sure why I got it), and some other items.

after the scrap yard we stopped by a garage sale that was mostly selling tools. almost all of his prices were high but I found a few things. he had a drawer full of wrenches, a file,ect that I bought for $5 dollars. he also had a really neat craftsman hand crank grinder in good shape that I  bought for $10.

in all I think I did all right. the pictures are after I cleaned up some of the stuff.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4589[1].JPG

IMG_4590[1].JPG

IMG_4591[1].JPG

IMG_4592[1].JPG

IMG_4593[1].JPG

IMG_4594[1].JPG

IMG_4595[1].JPG

IMG_4597[1].JPG

IMG_4598[1].JPG

IMG_4599[1].JPG

Just my opinion, ... but I've found there are few things in the world, as useless as a "speeder" wrench. 

Everybody has a couple laying around, ... and they're NEVER worn out ..... :D

On the other hand, Potato Forks are quite useful, ... but conjure up unpleasant memories of sweating in the garden.

Fortunately, it can be "re-purposed" into something less traumatic.  :P