• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol I'm not trying to forge that. It was a fused canon ball but it's rusty and hollow now. Was thinking of using it as a round form. Don't know yet . Found it in a guy's garagein pennsylvania. Paid $10. For that sucker. ;) worth it either way to me. 

Cannon balls are traditionally cast iron as you *want* them to disintegrate throwing shrapnel around.  Be very very very careful with real ones; in the recent past a fellow was trying to work with one and it went off and killed him.

Also sometimes old rock drill rod was used for tamping and some of it had a hole down through the center of it for cutting fluids and it has been known to become full of explosives it was tamping and not react well to the heat and shock of forging.   So check it for a center hole! 

On a happier note: rock drill tends to be a high carbon steel and the old ones a rather straight HC steel.  I'm always very happy to find it at the scrap yard for "historical" item use that doesn't require wrought iron and profits from the HC.

Thank you very much for the info Thomas. i will check the tamping rod. i had thought of using it as forge material. the canon ball i'm pretty sure is empty now but better to be safe then sorry. and im thinking of using it as a tool all in all at the moment. i'll be careful and check it. I have heard of people putting old canon balls by the fire place and them blowing up so that has been in my thoughts with it. I was planning on using the bits as art because they are pretty interesting as is. and again, thanks for that info. 

Daswulf, looks like you possibly have some Ford AA 1 ton truck parts there IE; worm gear sets, fan, rods, etc.. You may want to see if there is a local Model A group in the area, and have them check the parts out first before you go welding on them. You may have some desirable items there for a restorer. I have seen parts in worse shape sold in the past.

18 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Daswulf, looks like you possibly have some Ford AA 1 ton truck parts there IE; worm gear sets, fan, rods, etc.. You may want to see if there is a local Model A group in the area, and have them check the parts out first before you go welding on them. You may have some desirable items there for a restorer. I have seen parts in worse shape sold in the past.

The guy I got the stuff from was a big time antique car guy and I told him I wasn't looking for good parts, just scrap. If I had that guys garage and stuff I'd be making some big sculptures ;) . The guy is currently in the process of selling the usable parts. So whatever I have is probably not really useful to the car guys. I do have a heart for the antiques and classics so I wouldn't be depriving anyone. 

11 hours ago, notownkid said:

From the angle of the Pic. that short chain with the odd hooks looks like a chain to hold logs together in a river drive raft.  Hooks were driven into the logs. 

Nice Haul there as well, should keep you busy for a spell.

Thanks. It will. He did tell me they were for pulling logs. I could see the short ones being used like that. Pretty cool. 

Jim, neat score. 

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Daswulf, the brass worm gear and one of the worms could be put together to make an awesome twisting machine, that is if the worms match the gear.

I'll have to see if they match up. They have been soaking in parts cleaner since I got them because the old grease on them was like tar. Main thought on the 3 matching worm shafts was to make them into legs for an anvil stand but that isn't deffinate. 

Some from the ReStore (the punches, drill, one of the saws) others from  friends (another saw and the plane) plus a few sale items from Ace. At $3 that Wonder Bar was too good a deal to pass up. Now to resharpen the Disston saw, get the height adjustment on the plane freed up, and bang those punches into something useful. There are a few nail sets there as well which I think might work as eye punches without any additional work. We'll see if I get burned...

IMG_20151220_122505_002.jpg

Well, Saturday a ton of coal followed me home :D it's Conellsville coking coal. Really like it and it's cheap In my opinion at $82. USD a ton. I'll have to load up because the guy is only operating October through May. 

Yes I borrowed my fathers truck to get it so I didn't break my poor suspension on my lil truck  

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2015 at 2:09 PM, JamesH said:

Found today when visiting relatives, I knew grandad was a bit of a horder before he died (well over a decade ago) and nan had cleared a lot of his "junk" when they took down his old shed but she kept a set of his old draws with misc tools she didnt understand. But the real gems are a set of well loved punches, a hardy tool and what mustr be a very uncomfortable to use fuller! other than that some old forged gate hinges, calipers and a nice amount of tool and misc steel!

IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

That block with the leaf spring at the bottom right of the second picture looks a lot like an underbucking tool for a cross cut saw. Not certain of it since I've only seen poor pictures of them though.

Well, this didn't actually follow me home. This little package of stuff was waiting at my gate post when I got home. Seems a neighbour was cleaning out the shed and thought I might like these.

I am not sure about the tongs on the left. What is the loop for? And beside them is a very thin pair of tongs. Long handles, but more like tweezers than tongs. They wouldn't be strong enough to pick up anything serious. Any ideas what they are?

Not sure what I'll do with this stuff ... maybe repurpose those nippers into bolt/spike holders.

stuff.jpg

stuff2.jpg

Nice neighbors! The long thin ones look like they're for putting rivets in the hole, the shaft fits between the split bit and the single holds it in. The one with the ring is a pick up tong and the ring might just be what the guy had handy when the rivet broke? It looks like a darned heavy set of tongs so may have been for use under a power hammer and it was common to have hoists to help hold heavy stock. The ring might be a lift eye to hook onto a hoist hook. I don't think it's a lift eye though, it looks unbalanced but maybe if the eye was turned 90* so long stock could pass through it.

Is that punch a counter sink bob? I can't really see the shape in the pic so I'll just make wild guesses. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

The three with the offset , and upcurved jaws are farrier tools. The curved one is for clinching the nails, and if I remember correctly the offset ones are used to remove the old shoe from the hoof. The flat face goes against the hoof, and the angled one wedges the shoe up. It also looks like a horse bit on far upper left, the item with the links and loops.

The ones I have seen with the rings were used with the ring at 90 deg to the axis of the reins and were used to keep stock from shifting during heavy work---like powerhammer work.

What I use my long thin tongs for is to pick things off the floor of the shop towards the end of the day when my back is not wanting me to bend over and pick them up in my hand...