• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally found a blower for my forge. If it works.  Its a 16 amp blower though and looks like it needs a good clean out as it has grass in it. I got it from the bouncy castle guys at our last bike rally. It looks like this one  in the pic

Inflatable_Blower_Inflatable_Fan_For_Bou

Edited by Stephen Jones
added text corrected spelling

That will be WAY To much air if you get it working. You'll just be wasting fuel. My first set up was with a shop vac on blow and I had to open the ash dump to reduce the airflow, and I was still blowing coal out of the pot. a $5 hair drier from goodwill/Value village/garage sale so long as the fan works is plenty.

We picked up a couple of those inflated holiday things and I haven't figured out what to use the blowers for besides maybe forcing air past the barrel stove in the shop. I'm just glad they were freebes we had to take them with the couple things we wanted. They aren't like a "normal" blower like Stephan's at all.

You're going to have to figure out how to reduce that blower's output seriously Stephan but you can make it work. The price is right to put some work into it and if it can't be made to work I'm sure there are things it'll be good for.

Frosty The Lucky.

That blower would be great for setting up multiple forges on one line, like for a co-op shop or a teaching facility at a summer camp.  You'd just need a butterfly at each forge and flow divider of some sort, so that when someone shut their butterfly it didn't blow out the other guys' pots.  A secondary butterfly on each forge set up on a dead man of some sort would probably be good too, or you'd be burning through a lot of unnecessary fuel.

Probably even then more trouble than it is worth, but it would be cool to see.

I like diverting the output, if you have a smoke in the shop problem the unnecessary % of air flow can be directed upwards behind the forge to draw the smoke up and disperse it. You can shoot it straight up the flue to good effect.

It's a good one for running multiple forges too.

OR a bloomery smelt. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

You can shoot it straight up the flue to good effect.

Frosty The Lucky.

That was my first thought, as well.

Use the surplus volume to create a "Venturi Effect" in the stack.

-------------------------------------------------

I use a little "Pancake type" diaphragm  pump, ... originally intended for use with an "Air Brush" set up, ... to generate a Venturi draft, ... in order to pull the smoke into my Cold Smoker cabinet.

It blows at about 3 psi, ... and sucks an amazing volume of smoke into the Smoker.

The Smoker ( an old refrigerator ) stays chock-full of smoke, ... but the cabinet temperature never goes more than 5 degrees ( F ) above ambient.

It's a GOOD thing.  :D

Edited by SmoothBore

I do more or less what Frosty and Smooth Bore do. Most of my flue/chimmney is horizontal since I did not want to make hole in the roof. I use an old vacuum cleaner turned backwards as a jet to get the smoke out, I have a funnel above the fire that goes into a vertical pipe that is a meter or so and ends into a 'T' The cleaner is blowing into one side of the horisontal part of the 'T'  and all smoke is blown ot through the other (which is around 3m long). It really works very well. I get away with 16cm spiro pipes They get a surface temp of around 100 deg Celsius.  The vacuum cleaner is of the type that has a body running on the floor and a hose (which I used) connected to the business end. The horizontal part lies loose in a "cradle" so it pivots away if I need to service the forge.

Have a nice weekend

Göte

over the last three weeks or so, I've picked up a large acme screw, two automotive coil springs, a small buffer polisher, Misc wood working chisels, a nice 8 lbs full handle sledge, a "Mutt" tool from "the village blacksmith" some brass and steel punches and chisels, a desk top magnifying glass, misc brass and copper sheet metal & tubing, a large brass wall decoration (naval theme) a couple of different knife sharpeners, some old rubber ended hammers, some ball peen hammers, 10 rr spikes and a set of tongs.

I drove 900 mile round trip Friday night and yesterday to get this Mayer 25lb Triphammer. I also got 10 shoe boxes of knife handle wood and antlers. Some of the wood is a burl of some kind. Cost $1100.00. 

The motor is 110v and the hammer is  # A 102

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The 110v cable is frayed and I need to replace it before I try it.  I will get better pictures of the wood too.  

I was getting it off the truck and got it in the garage yesterday.  

The ram doesn't have a guard/cover.  Did these older hammers have a guard?  I guess it is old with a number of A 102. 

Edited by lloe01