I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I got a good deal on this Hougen magnetic drill as well,

I saw one in a pawnshop once for less than the price of a cheap hand drill, and the bloody woman I was with at that stage were angry because I dragged her in there so I left it. Can still kick myself.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to a garage sale with my grandma. (Sounds like a bad idea huh?). The man happened to be selling more mechanic tools than I've ever seen to this point in my life. Matco, Snap On, Plumb, you name it Made In America. CHEAP!!! But, alas I didn't have any $100's to offer on the roll-around. But I did however get 30+ years accumulation of files, a belt-driven bench grinder, drill bit sharpener (mounts next to grinder), Kennedy top box (smallish one), a cigar box FULL of taps and dies, and an odd lot of wire wheels. for $50!! I'm going back tomorrow to make an offer on the whole shabang! I want the medium size roll-around that matches the top box. It's replace the peice harbor freight one I bought a few years ago for $40. If I get it, I'll sell the chinese one and replace it with American Metal

Went out to the local salvage yard (has everything from steel to wood to masonry) looking for a quench tank and a table top. Came home with a one of each. The quench tank is SS and has a sliding top. About 15"x24"x24" deep already mounted on 5" swivel casters- $25.00. They used two fork trucks to put the steel plate in my F-150. It is 48"x96"x1". I figure it weighed about 1000#. After they got it in, the owner said $95.00.

The only other great deal I've gotten lately was a 200#, well used anvil for $225.00. The deals are there if you can wait.

Harmless Dave

today i came home with a 130-150lb Hay Budden (thanks for the id) and 15 nippers/tongs for 75bucks and a bit of shifting and lifting to get to them and then to move things around for the person selling them
my thought is to reforge a few of the nippers into tongs after i check around to see if i can find any farriers interested in trading for any of them

post-22808-0-28856400-1330995065_thumb.j

post-22808-0-56369100-1330995066_thumb.j

Picked up a 10# Atha sledge at the Las Cruces fleamarket. In surprisingly good shape for the type, age and area; paid US$5 for it. This will go with the 4#'r I picked up several weeks ago. With time I may have a complete Atha set...

Also picked up a gouge hone for $1---it's hidden in the dishwasher right now to clean it up a bit. If I don't post anymore you will know that my DW found it....

I was helping my buddy clean up his shop before a "hammer in". He said he was tired of moving this table around his shop for the last 8 years, as he never used it. He told me to take it if I wanted it, so i put it on my truck, with the help of his tractor. It weighs about 500lbs, the top is 2'x2'. I want to attached this 7" post vice when it is in place. Do you think it will be stable enough? The vice weighs 150lbs. I dont want it to be too top heavy.
Thanks for your thoughts - Jerry P
044.jpg
043.jpg
042.jpg
vise5-1.jpg

Looks like the table from an old "shaper" ...a lot of them got scrapped ,but someone saved that table. It also looks like it did service as a drill press table at some point. You might be able to use the slots to hold the vise with some bolts and the correct nut inserts.

This was the luckiest scrounge I have ever made. I was at my local welding supply 2 weeks ago and we were just shooting the breeze. I had talked to him several times about a wire feed welder, but it always came down to not being able to afford one. I almost bought a worn out former rental from him once, but couldn't even afford that. So, out of nowhere he says, �Hey, you want a wire feed welder for free?" Of course I say �sure, what's the deal?� He comes back with "Oh, it doesn't work. A customer gave it to me after he bought a new one. Just haul the POS out of here and maybe you can get it going" I figure what the heck and his guy helps load it in my truck. I had never heard of this brand and did some research on it. It turns out the thing is used mostly in body shops, which is where this one came from. I tracked down the authorized service center and the guy faxed me a wiring diagram. While fooling around with it I noticed the switch was a little hinky. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes not. I figure that�s what made the original owner give up on it. What's weird about this machine is that the electrical cord coming off of it is very thin for a welder. It's only about 3/8" diameter with a black, white and green 14ga wire inside. Both the welding shop and I assumed it was a 110 welder. Well after hooking it up to a 110 outlet I get nothing, then later I notice a little sticker that says it came from the factory wired for 208 volt. I figure what the heck and hook it up to an extension cord for my buzz box that is huge 10ga wire. It looks pretty funny, but as soon as I turn on the power I hear life in it. I hook up the ground, and sure enough it welds. Tonight I took out the switch and cleaned it and it works fine now. I bought a small roll of flux core wire just to confirm that it wasn�t a fluke that it welded last night, and sure enough, this thing works great. I need to buy a gas bottle for it and some tips and better wire etc, but basically I�ll only be into this welder for the cost of consumables. It is supposed to weld up to 3/8", which covers about 90% of the stuff I do. Anything larger and I just have to break out the tombstone. Wire-Feed.jpg

I've had this same welder for over 25 years, and in its day it was state of the art for body shops. Gerat welder, great find!

Finally got something decent to add to this thread!

While I was browsing the internet, I ran across this fine gentleman looking to part with a couple of blower. I have never seen blowers with the cast iron bases like these (at least not around these here parts), so I was very curious. The price was simply too good to believe and I feel like I stole these ladies even when you add in the cost of gas to go get them.

While I was visiting, he mentioned that he had a small post vise he'd let me have for only $50. How could I say no?

Sadly, the Buffalo Climax was rather anti-climactic. She doesn't turn. I popped the cover off to see what I could do about it and found the axles inside to be just completely rusted over. I might be able to break them free and get her back into service, but I can't promise anything. If nothing else, she'll be relegated to yard art status.

IMG_0301.jpg

I'm a bit sad that the jaws on the Columbian don't line up, but I can probably work around that. I certainly don't have a shortage of vises!

IMG_0303.jpg

I was helping my buddy clean up his shop before a "hammer in". He said he was tired of moving this table around his shop for the last 8 years, as he never used it. He told me to take it if I wanted it, so i put it on my truck, with the help of his tractor. It weighs about 500lbs, the top is 2'x2'. I want to attached this 7" post vice when it is in place. Do you think it will be stable enough? The vice weighs 150lbs. I dont want it to be too top heavy. Thanks for your thoughts - Jerry P 044.jpg043.jpg042.jpgvise5-1.jpg

Tried to cut the pics out, but I get an error message when I tried to post it.

This is neither a milling machine table, nor a shaper table, it is a radial drill table. The wheels look a bit small, and you may want to figure out a braking system, so that it doesn't move when you use it. After you mount the vise, you will see how tippy it may be.