• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to make a stand for my swage block and I saw a design that I liked on here the other day, where the guy used heavy blocks bolted together and made a vertical slot to stand the block on edge. So I got my brother to go with me down to the local lumber yard (yes we do still have one) and we found a large chunk of unwanted Doug fir nice and dried out. This thing measures 21 inches x 9 1/2 and is about 5 1/2 feet long. going to barrow a beam saw to cut into two pieces about 2 feet in length
post-10376-047999200 1288363195_thumb.jppost-10376-035485700 1288363188_thumb.jppost-10376-098937600 1288363180_thumb.jp

I am going to make a stand for my swage block and I saw a design that I liked on here the other day, where the guy used heavy blocks bolted together and made a vertical slot to stand the block on edge. So I got my brother to go with me down to the local lumber yard (yes we do still have one) and we found a large chunk of unwanted Doug fir nice and dried out. This thing measures 21 inches x 9 1/2 and is about 5 1/2 feet long. going to barrow a beam saw to cut into two pieces about 2 feet in length
post-10376-047999200 1288363195_thumb.jppost-10376-035485700 1288363188_thumb.jppost-10376-098937600 1288363180_thumb.jp

That is one sweet looking piece of almost clear vert grain doug fir.Good choice!
I think you`ll really like how stable that wood is and the vibration damping qualities are excellent.
The bed for my Conover lathe was made from that same type of wood(CVG 1/4 sawnDF) and it is a pleasure to work even large unbalanced pieces on.
I`d save the remaining pieces for a dishing stump to do sheet work on if you don`t already have a use for it.

This is the stand I made for my swage block, it's made from guardrail posts. The top of the block is at the same height as my anvil face and when stood on it's edge on the step it's again at the right working height.

It's simple and works reasonably well though I will be installing something to secure it on edge. As it is you have to keep an eye on it in use or the block can tip or walk off.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-079481300 1288400045_thumb.jpg

This is the stand I made for my swage block, it's made from guardrail posts. The top of the block is at the same height as my anvil face and when stood on it's edge on the step it's again at the right working height.

It's simple and works reasonably well though I will be installing something to secure it on edge. As it is you have to keep an eye on it in use or the block can tip or walk off.

Frosty the Lucky.

Nice stand for the swage block Frosty, but I want to know about that purty post vice. I mean, mine came painted green, but that is the first time I've seen anybody accent a post vice with gold paint. :blink:

Regards,
Tim

I picked this up from scrounging around in my grand mother's garage. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, or what I can use it for.

If you could weld(or bolt) the plate to something solid with open space underneath, it could be used as a hardie tool holder.And you can also twist and bend on this with the rite hardie tools.Just an idea! B)

If you could weld(or bolt) the plate to something solid with open space underneath, it could be used as a hardie tool holder.And you can also twist and bend on this with the rite hardie tools.I have 4 of these welded together into a box for that purpose. Just an idea! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I was at our local co-op, they are upgrading their checkouts with newer cabinetry, from the old spinning wheel style to the belt style. They were just hauling the old cabinets to the landfill, so I asked if I could take the motor before they hauled it away. It's a 1/3hp, 110/220V farm duty motor, the gearbox has a 60:1 ratio. Both Baldor brand and pretty heavy duty, I think the pair must weigh close to 40lbs.

post-2067-0-48139600-1289767914_thumb.jp