I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Swiss Family Robinson they mention spearing it and burning off the outer layer with the spines.

(A favorite book when I was younger---if you find a *good* version/translation.  When I reread it recently I noticed that it was full of "discover a new species---kill it and eat it!"  with descriptions of how it tasted. Whale tongue and penguin are on my "avoid list"...)

18 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I also made a stinkbug. 

Ha!  As usual, that's an awesome sculpture, Das.  I love it's back and it gives me ideas for a turtle shell.  Speaking of turtles, I can vouch for not eating snappers.  

That is a sculpture worthy beetle there TW.  I saw my first Dung Beetle here last summer.  It was rolling a ball in a northerly direction across the yard.  I got curious and evidently they celebrate them at a BugFest at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences.  I may have to go sometime and see what it's all about.

I've had it twice, once in soup.  Maybe it came from old or sick turtles.  I've never caught my own.

You should put that recipe in Vulcans Grill.  I would substitute chicken in mine though. ;)

When I was young there was a cranky old guy that kept them in a 55 gallon drum of water outside his shop until he used them.

He put them in fresh water to flush them out, I usually do mine for a week, changing the water daily.

I'll have to work on the recipe for Vulcan's Grill, problem is I don't measure anything and when I make one it's usually in a 20 qt, or bigger, pot. It's a great recipe for any wild game and chicken.

A friends mother had a secret recipe for snapping turtle stew. They were Seminole Indian's living on the reservation in Dania Fl. Whenever I was invited to lunch or dinner she served it and the only other ingredient I could identify was swamp cabbage hearts. Sure was some good eating.

Y’all make sure you ain’t getting turtles from a sewer pond, I’d reckon that could influence the flavor. I caught a swamp man in a Jon boat out in the 15 acre sewer pond system I used to manage, he was collecting turtles and crawfish. Federal trespassing buddy, kick rocks before I call the law and don’t come back, that’s disgusting. 
He came back. Invited me to a crawfish boil as a thank you for not calling the cops. I politely but firmly declined. 

Well crawdads like lobster and crabs are "garbage collectors" yet we still manage to eat them.

Our winter has been so mild we had to hang up the flypaper months early here.  (Country living with everyone around us having horses and other livestock---OTOH; you ask someone if you can get some manure for your compost bed and they will deliver it to your yard by the front loader bucket load!)

Oh, I'm a firm believer of certain animal and vegetable compost, aged appropriately.   We did a farmer's market for 20+ years.  That's not the kind biosolids I meant...

I secretly envied your compost pile for a while, but an electrician I hired recently gets manure from a local horse farm and ages it.  He offered to deliver all I care for.  The sandy soil around here is basically devoid of everything so I have some ammending to do!

The place next door has been a horse farm since the 30's?  They have filled several of the little valleys near the arroyo to the top and moved on to the next one.  I have scrounging permission for that or they will deliver fresh to my yard.  We basically have adobe for soil---it's rated for direct pour of concrete, no topsoil needs to be removed!

So for our garden we are composting and going raised bed.  My wife says she wants to put in some much larger raised beds in the front yard; guess who gets to do the schlepping?

Good exercise??? ;)

I helped my sister a couple miles away put in an underground fence and the  roots!  Roots and vines!  It was like digging through chicken wire.  Worthless ground.  I suppose I will try raised beds, sounds like a lot of work.  I suppose anything worth while is.  I've seen where people just buy a bag of topsoil from the garden center, throw it on the ground, slit it open and plant in it.  Presto!

We have three raised beds, about 3' x 6', but for the last three seasons we added straw bale planting.  It is more versatile in determining different locations for the plants.  This year I already know where I will not plant again and have ideas for where to plant more.  Also, cattle panels bow up nicely to make trellises over or beside the bales.  Only thing is that I have to buy the bales every year but I get a bunch of ground cover/compost from the previous season.

You can do raised beds without a boarder. Just build up in the area you want. It will still be a raised bed.  If you want it fancy, then wood boards, logs, stone, brick, block, scrap metal....

A physical boarder does help differentiate between bed and ground. 

Charles Dowding has some books and videos on yt on no dig gardening. He has many good tips on composting and gardening in general. His method is largely borderless raised beds and adding compost. 

I really need to get some horse manure this year from my neighbor up the road with the horse farm/stables. 

I've been composting my chicken bedding late last year and this year.  Before I would just spread it on ground I would till in the spring. I'm trying to focus more on my little raised beds this year.