I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats worse? East of the Rockys or west?

Cataclysmic is some serious stuff. Er eh catophisms or catastrophisms. I dunno, it all sounds bad. Best I can do is worry about and prepare for food shortages... and the next honey do list. 

She wants a heated pool. God help me, I suggested a tub with a fire built under it. 

Actually, a couple of my friends have wood heated hot tubs.  One is a fancy banded wooden one (sort of like a big barrel or pickle tub) with a submersible wood stove.  The other is just an 8' diameter galvanized stock tank up on rocks with a fire built under it and pavers in the bottom to avoid hot spots.  Both work pretty well.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Whats worse? East of the Rockys or west?

Depends on where it strikes. If you're playing the odds which is the ONLY game, I'd say between mountain ranges, the middle of the plains. Odds are it'll be a water strike so waves perhaps a couple miles high will hit the coasts with gradually smaller rebound waves. Then there are the global fires, first from the flash of the impact and second from super heated debris both directly from impact and debris thrown out of the atmosphere reentering all around the globe.

The great plains are inland between a couple mountain ranges to shield from ocean waves, odds being against another gulf strike. And there aren't a lot of forests to make for really HOT fire storms.

You could shelter in the plains in Canada but too far north puts you into a harsher and more prolonged " asteroid winter".

Frosty The Lucky. 

So which is more likely? Pacific strike? Atlantic strike? Or Yellowstone super eruption? Car or industrial accident? Terminal disease?  Old age?  When we quit cranking, the world stops turning, from our point of view at least. That's why the best "prep" isn't physical, IMHO.

With about 70 percent of the earth's surface being covered with salt water a sea strike is most likely; however for an individual human those other "killers" are MUCH more likely---(Car or industrial accident, Terminal disease,  Old age,)  nobody is getting out of this life alive!

We're all circling the drain so getting yourself straight for the inevitable is in your best interests. 

The question was re. asteroid impact. A Yellowstone super volcano caldera eruption is in the same class. A definite civilization reset event and Yellowstone is close or overdue for a super eruption but it's not a set in stone interval. 

The interval for ELE, asteroid/comet strikes runs in the millions of years so we're maybe overdue for one of those too. 

For the short term we (Earth) get hit by non-manmade space junk constantly, IIRC thousands of tons a day. In the last few years there have been strikes that have not only done damage to structures and natural features say laying down forests and better still caught on dash-cams. 

If you get the chance check out "Meteor Crater." It's WAY cool if a bit scary to think about it being the result of a guesstimated nickel iron impacter around 100' in diameter.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Or the Iridium deposits in Africa. There are lots of the platinum group in the Sudbury ore too. There's a big deposit in Russia too I believe. 

Of course everything on and in Earth is meteoric in origin. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

If it hit another one of the conglomorating mass. Yes. If it missed it was a meteoRite on by.

Now you did it, you made me think about it. How could it be a meteor or meteorite without air.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Then you guys are going to love Enceladus and Mimus, two of Saturn's 82+ moons.

Let's not forget Jupiter, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto, 3 of 4 Galilean moons are strongly believed to have liquid water oceans. Some of the current opinion is a definite salt water ocean on/in? Ganymede. 

Data on the ocean moons of the solar system is always updating, lots of astronomers and potential space explorers are REALLY interested.

Enjoy. Don't worry, no rabbit holes here, honest I'm sure you'll get your sleep. . . eventually.:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmmmm. That makes me wonder if a deeper layer of liquid were forced up and came in contact with say liquid methane or ethane it would maybe form a maar. 

Titan is believed to be layered, solid, liquid, solid, etc. with liquid water pretty deep. I'll have to think of a way to work that into a Traveller session if I can get a group interested enough to play. 

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Yep... just learned something new myself and we wonder about Martians.:)

Now I wonder about Plutonians... :)  

I learned what a maar is.  The largest one in the world is Devil Mountain Lake in, you guessed it....... Alaska!  You guys have it all.... 

No need to wonder Scott, Plutonians are really Far out Man. 

Ah come on we don't have it all, just the largest and most. We can't help being more than twice the size of the next largest state. I didn't know about the Devil Mountain Lakes till just now. Cool beans!

I wonder if magma hitting permafrost meant it built up more pressure before it blew? The largest Maar is one of many in the area, the topo map looks like it was decorated with roundish lakes.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/3/2022 at 3:06 PM, Frosty said:

No need to wonder Scott, Plutonians are really Far out Man. 

I wonder where Voyager 1 is these days.  Plutonians could be here pretty fast in their ice breaker submarine craft I bet, IF they wanted to.

I had to look that one up, Wiki has a good write up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Short answer is: Voyager 1 has been operating for 44 years, 7 months and 9 days as of April 14, 2022 UTC  and is  At a distance of 155.8 AU (23.307 billion km; 14.483 billion mi) from Earth as of January 21, 2022,[3] 

Dad spun the rocket bells for the attitude thrusters on both Voyagers and several other probes. It gives me a cool feeling when I think he has parts he made on all the inner planets, in Jupiter and Saturn's atmospheres and some have left the Solar system. 

That always gives me a little rush.

Frosty The Lucky.