I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

No one says scrap art has to be all metal.

Have any Fastenal places around? They sometimes toss out metal buckets that bolts come in. Not to mention throwing out new bolts, nuts and stuff. 

Speaking of which, I havnt visited their dumpster in a while. 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy, I wish I were closer too.   Like Nebraska close.  NC is grinding on my nerves.

Thomas, a roaring bonfire was my thought when I was considering using a galvanized garbage can but maybe the green/blue smoke and flames shooting about would be too much for the next door neighbors.  They have kids.....  Haven't checked the open flame ordinances yet either.

Aric, thanks.  I drive by one every day, apparentley with blinders on.  A bucket would be great but so would replacing my nut/bolt supply.  I took one 5 gal bucket of the most common with me.  A plastic one. :)

No problem Scott. If its like the one by me remember that they are very random. Sometimes its a lot of plastic and cardboard from recieving inventory, then sometimes you might find hundreds of lbs of metal stuff. Always nice when it is in boxes or bags and you don't have to pick up a ton of loose bolts/nuts etc. 

I find a lot of "clean out the garage" stuff at the scrapyard; including other peoples collections of nuts and bolts that I tend to pick over for my collection that someday my kids or grandkids will probably take to the scrapyard...

Nodebt  I remember how surprised I was to find that prickly pear cactus grow on Sandy Hook  the NJ sand spit that points out towards New York City.  Found them the hard way of course...  The natural channel leading to the NYC harbor goes a few hundred yards off the tip of Sandy Hook and so it's been fortified since pre revolutionary times, still has the remains of pre ACW, ACW, SAW, WWI, WWII, bunkers, fortifications and gun sites.  My scout troop used to camp out and explore there back in the 1970's.

Haha, those stink bugs just won't go away. Not as massive an infestation as they were but still annoying. I've come to the conclusion that they are interdimensional beings and can appear out of nowhere,  disappear and reappear somewhere else. Few weeks ago one appeared on my back under my shirt. Messed it up when I itched my back then realized what it was. I absolutely hate their stink. Dawn dish soap and warm water kills em pretty quick, especially if they fall and you spray their belly. And they don't make a stink that way. 

I never saw a stink bug that big in my life.  How big do they get?  I will try soap next time I see one.  I smashed that one and boy was that a mistake.

TP, even the bushes here have thorns like cacti.  I collect cacti.... In pots.  People that live here are some tough hombre's and probably don't even know it.  Nebraska was easy... :)

Lol yeah we have prickly plants as well. "Jaggers" they can get thick if left unchecked and make impenetrable barriers. Only way to eradicate them is to dig in, start snipping and pull em out piece by piece. Easier when they don't surround your "stuff", just mow them over. I have some surrounding stuff that I have to deal with in the spring because I need that stuff. 

If you don’t mind messing with chemicals, 

then spray hyvar, it’s pretty wicked stuff, unlike round up,

that stuff will kill off anything for a year before you need to re apply,

Round up is a waste of time an money because it only kills what it lands on, then next week the weeds sprout right back up, 

but a word to the wise… anything that can sterilize the ground for a year isn’t anything to be taken lightly,

you definitely need to read the MSDS and wear appropriate PPE,

it will definitely keep a fence line cleaned out or anywhere else you wanna apply it, 

I try to steer clear of chemical pesticides or herbicides. Ill just fight the weeds naturally.

Oh and meant to say, Ive never seen a stinkbug bigger than a dime or so. Must get bigger down there. Some other shieldbugs can get bigger. 

Well i did Make a stinkbug spade shovel size but that was scrapart. 

Are you talking about "Assassin Bug" you shared?  I like looking back at the older projects posted on here.  The bug I killed looked a bit like that only not so big.  Any bug I kill that has a stench like that one did is a "Stink Bug".

I will look into hyvar, I never heard of it.  I used to be pretty selective about using sprays but around the edge of the property here I don't care.  I may try it.

Scott, We used that stuff years ago on a commercial chicken farm around the buildings and it works pretty good, but like I said it’s a little spooky that it kills everything for a year, 

Now days I just use weed eaters and I hire people to run them occasionally through the summer lol, 

that’s pretty cool Daswulf!

here’s a male Eastern Hercules Beatle I found a year or two ago out front of the shop,

I’ve seen them even bigger than this one before 

86E66FBF-F3E6-4538-BA00-AB1AF5955E9D.thumb.jpeg.ba8ba77f9ea91a28cd3e1ed3319f0b16.jpeg7778E657-34E7-462A-A14C-FD3224763F2C.thumb.jpeg.4a187ca99cd34ba169574bc3e29b696e.jpeg

They come out at night and are attracted to light just like a lot of other bugs, 

Last year I saw a massive wasp that sounded like a mini helicopter buzzing around the shop, it was as big as a small bird lol,

I looked it up and I think it was a tarantula hawk,

but I don’t know if I’m in the right region for them, and I couldn’t get a positive ID on him, so that’s just a guess 

I was sitting out on the porch one day having a smoke and a wasp was dragging a spider larger than itself towards me. I had taken a picture and video of it but can't seem to find it. I swear it had reddish brown wings like one of those but can't be sure.

15 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

dragging a spider

I see that a lot here during the summer, I’ve set an watched various species of wasps either dragging a spider to their nest and I’ve watched red wasps eat spiders,

I have about 2 million estimated mud dubbers that call my shop home, and during the summer they stay pretty busy catching spiders for their nests, 

but they are clumsy flyers and occasionally they drop their stunned spiders around, I don’t know how many black widows I find because of that lol, 

the black an blue colored mud dubbers are the primary predators of black widows, and it’s funny how they hunt them, they locate a widows web and they crawl to the edge of it, then they reach out an purposely tap the web to make the black widow think it has prey, when she comes out for dinner and gets to close to the mud dubber it stuns her an pulls her off the web!