I Forge Iron

Frankenbucket

Scott NC

For the most part I tan really easy without burning during the summer here

but the one thing I have trouble with is I have to Wear a hat to protect the tops of my ears because they will start bleeding after a few days in the sun especially in July august an September, the rest of the year I don’t have much trouble

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to take off my shirt mowing the hill that was once an orchard. One time i took it off to get some sun and tossed the shirt on the folded down roll bar in the back of the tractor. Doing loops I ended up hitting something that made a dooldloop sound. Sure enough it was my favorite shirt. It had fallen off and got shredded. Since then I worry less about a tan.

I was once smithing on a hot and humid August day and decided to go shirtless, figuring that my apron would give sufficient protection to my front. Unfortunately, a piece of coal popped in the forge while I was turned away to the anvil, and a glowing shard was projected past the waistband of my jeans and down the cleft where my back changes name, if you know what I mean. My dancing ability was suddenly and markedly improved.

Irondragon, I worked a lot out in the sun on the farm and was lucky as far as skin cancers went (cuts, bruises, abbrasions, yes a "few" over the years).  I covered up my arms and head towards the end.

Das, I had a ford tractor with a finish mower on same farm and mowed over at least five big plastic coffee mugs that rattled off the hood.  A few others may have went under the rear tires.... :) Always meant to make a cup holder but never did.  I am a master procrastinator.

JHCC, I called that dance the Welding Sputterball Jig and danced it a few times. :)

Thomas, sweat is powerless against air arc slag too.  I had a glob go inside my glove once and before I could get my glove off it burned a nice size "hole" in my palm.  No idea how it got in there in one big glob.

When I was 9 or 10 a bunch of my friends and I liked to make torches and run around with them. One time I found an old string mop that was used for spreading hot tar on a roof. It made a great torch when I finally got the tar to light.

I was running around with it and didn't notice the tar was dripping from it and had broken glass embedded in the tar. Well some of the drops of burning tar & hot glass went down the back of my shirt and lodged at my waist band of my jeans. I have the scars to this day in the small of my back and the smell of melting roofing tar makes me nervous.

Scott, I've been meaning to make a new cup holder for mine. Had a plastic one but it didn't hold up. My current coffee mug handle will hold onto the side handle on the tractor but it has also been knocked off. 

Silly little thing like a cup holder and I haven't made one yet lol.  Better get on that. Mowing season is coming up. 

Ahh.. Aric, I'm going to miss mowing season, though it got to be a drag towards the end of summer.  Beats rounding up pine cones and needles...:)

Never a dull moment.  One time I sucked a 10' piece of chicken wire into the mower.  Took for ever to untangle even taking the blades off.  Had a lot of interesting things happen over 25+ years.  I remember my old tractor and mower fondly!

On 3/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, Nodebt said:

I called that dance the Welding Sputterball Jig and danced it a few times. :)

We had lots of names for it depending on who was performing, IIRC the most used was, "The Dingle berry Hop," Jig was popular and sometimes a special occurred during the dance. 

Speaking of mowing wire or rope, I've watched a number of 911 type shows with folks trying to stop a runaway boat. A couple times people even trying to jump aboard from another trying to match speed and course. :o

I've always wondered why one of the chase boats didn't just drag a line behind them and loop around the runaway's bow. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Jerry, I suppose not many people carry chickenwire in their boats either.  It would probably sink anyway. 

N guage or HO?  I cut my teeth on O guage.  When I was a youngster, my cousins had a plain jane layout on an old piece of plywood in the basement and we would stage derailments,  runaways and all sorts of fun stuff.  :)   That set didn't last long...

Fishing line would probably stop a run away O gauge locomotive too. I had Lionell O gauge when I was a kid but didn't do much with it. Dad went whole hog with his layout, devoted a 2 car garage in their first place in E. Wenatchee. He wasn't able to build another in their second place in E. Wenatchee. He talked about it till he passed. 

Not saying what happened to his crazy huge collection.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fishing line strung across the track as in Rio Lobo?  I remember them stopping a runaway caboose with gold and hornets in it that way. 

Your dad must have been quite a railfan.

Apple Duck, IIRC, they stopped a locomotive on a grade with grease as well in the same movie.  "The wheels is slippin!"...:)

Yes, their house was one block above the Sunset Highway with a clear view of the Columbia River and the ridges behind them. The only think I didn't like about it was how blazing HOT it got in summer. When the sun crested the hills behind the house it was like having a torch played across me and I scooted in the door. 

I Love the Columbia gorge and scab lands. Ever read about the Bretze Floods? Biblical describes them nicely, picture Spokane under 200' of water flowing 70+mph. 90% of the Columbia gorge cut in about 2 weeks. Biblical. There is more incredible scale features. "Lake Missoula" is another part of the story. 

Dang, I MUST refresh a screen before replying and submitting a post! I missed yours Scott. <sigh>

Dad took up trains as a hobby and he never did anything by half. He not only knew steam engine wheel designations but could name the engine type and many of the company names of individual engines. 

I remember the hornets and gold in Rio Lobo but not clearly. 

Greasing or oiling the rails on an upgrade was a good way to stop a train. Unfortunately in more than one instance it didn't actually stop but slid backwards before robbers could board and an on the ball engineer could reverse the train and save the shipment.

Frosty The Lucky.

I should say, they used ropes and pine trees to stop that caboose, NOT fishing line.....  :)

I used to live in Portland and Vancouver for 3 years, working for a company that made barges.  Beautiful country and I should have stayed there.

Thanks for mentioning the Bretze Floods, I have never heard of this.  More mind expanding rabbit holes.  :)

Edited by Nodebt
Add a thought.

"Cataclysms on The Columbia: The Great Missoula Floods." Is the book that hooked me, it's a great companion in the vehicle along with a "Roadside Geology" and "Gazeteer" if you drive through or in the area. Area? Idaho, Eastern Washington, parts of Oregon, the Columbia river and it's gorge extending IIRC close to 100 miles into the Pacific ocean.

Check out images of Washington state Channeled Scablands. NOVA had an episode called, "Mystery of the Megaflood" AH! Here's a link. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/megaflood/scab-07.html

Driving past 400' high hills with amazingly straight ridge lines is almost as amazing as finding out they're actually stream ripples is sand but the "sand" particles are the size of melons. It makes flying into Spokane from the west cause serious cognitive dissonance because you ARE looking at stream bed features with itty bitty towns around them.

Frosty The Lucky.

That is truly awe inspiring.  More research is in order.  I remember sailing through the norwegien fjords back when I was in the Navy.  1000 foot sheer cliffs on both sides.  I think they took a little longer to form though. :)  I remember going through some locks and we got going too fast and "bumped" into the gate causing a lot of damage.  Naturaly I was blamed because I was Cappy's phone talker but I got cleared on that one.  That might have been in Scotland though.  My memory is not what it used to be.