I Forge Iron

Dave Custer

Steve Sells

For those that have been around IFI for a while, long time member  Fiery Furnace Forge aka Dave got married and had a few children over the past few years of his new marriage.  His young wife has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is pregnant with their third child.

Here is a repost of his update on the current situation

Sarah had a breathing episode Sunday evening (the 17th,) which lasted briefly but was enough to cause us to head to the hospital in Lexington.
Another episode in hospital on Tuesday night prompted the doctors to perform an emergency C-section and another lung procedure to clear the air-ways that are being closed by the lung cancer.

Isabel de Clare Custer was born Tuesday night. She was 4 pounds 5 ounces, 32 weeks. She is doing good and is in the hospital.
Sarah has been kept under since the procedure. With the baby removed, they were able to do a full body scan and MRI. She had a fractured spine from a tumor there, three small tumors in her brain, and compromised vertebra in her neck. They did a spinal surgery on Wednesday and removed the tumor and effected area, and they have put a brace on her neck to try to stabilize that area. If that area fails, she will be permanently paralyzed for the rest of her life.   They started radiation on Thursday.

Basically every time we get news, it is more bad news. Sarah is on a vent and will continue to be sedated for some time. She did wake up enough Thursday morning to communicate with me by motioning and sign language. 

For those of you who have helped in various ways and offered assistance and prayers, we are deeply grateful.   It is one thing to profess faith, during the good times and another to live it in the hard times. Sarah and I were blessed with 12 days home after diagnosis to talk, share, and spend time together, and process our position together. It is all so overwhelming but the Lord has provided many things to ease the struggles we are going through.....things that have been shaping up for over a year.

Sarah and I have settled on this as our theme song thru the days ahead.

"I care not today what the morrow may bring,
If shadow or sunshine or rain,
The Lord I know ruleth o’er everything,
And all of my worries are vain.
Though tempests may blow and the storm clouds arise,
Obscuring the brightness of life,
I’m never alarmed at the overcast skies—
The Master looks on at the strife.
I know that He safely will carry me through,
No matter what evils betide;
Why should I then care though the tempest may blow,
If Jesus walks close to my side.
Our Lord will return for His loved ones someday,
Our troubles will then all be o’er;
The Master so gently will lead us away,
Beyond that blest heavenly shore."

• 2 months later...

Just saw this yesterday… Don’t know how things are turning out, but I hope things are looking brighter.  Only met Dave once, but he seems like a great guy.  He actually met me in town so we could follow him back to the shop and not get lost on the curvy back roads in the dark!  I went ahead and ordered some more tongs from him today - he makes quality products!  One of his tire hammers is still on my list.