I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

So, today's offerings. 

Made a set of calipers, not quite finished yet, i could not find a tap and screw for them. Guess a trip to the hardware store is in order for tomorrow. Also made a handle for a candle holder for my daughter. Still need the wax catcher and the ringy thing to hold the candle, as well as a rivet to hold it all together. Then with a piece of scrap and some time made an "S" hook. 

image.thumb.jpeg.844ee4d2f4ed82440ab488922264fe53.jpeg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like everything in this picture including the camels, great lines and balance.  These callipers man, very nice. 

23 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

i could not find a tap and screw for them

You’ll find them when you get back from the hardware store.  Story of my life. :rolleyes: 

The robot had a hopper that could be opened on command, and because of the way it was shaped, there had to be an offset along the length of the axle. Alas, I did not get a photo. 

(As a bit of fun, we named the hopper “Grace”.)

23 hours ago, MacLeod said:

You’ll find them when you get back from the hardware store.

And that is truth. Always seems to work that way. 

3 hours ago, alexandr said:

I was surprised how much free space there was.

Every time you clean the shop. I did the same thing over the past week. 

Got this from my boss the other day. Thought ya'll might like it. Zippo tape measure. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ac2e2518848e266be48c7a9cd35334f4.jpeg

I cleaned up the walnut that was gifted to me Friday night, only to find that it looked like Osage Orange. I took a piece with me to our state hammer-in yesterday, and everyone seemed to agree. Unbelievably, the host gifted a big piece of paduk(sp?) to use. Should look good. 

Today, I got it ready and glued up:

A8731B31-E5F4-4B9C-9404-92A08A5E399B.jpeg.ce4f5825c76c53db6e830d5a23b6f6a5.jpeg

I’ll see what it looks like tomorrow!

Keep it fun,

David

We had an uncharacteristically warm day (around 60°F and sunny!) so I got some welding work done. 

I might look up how to appropriately weld a bowl shape to a plate. That was messy. I ended up removing the bowl, laying 4 lines of weld to form a square, then setting the bowl inside that square and welding the lines to the bowl. Got me a little extra room for the tip but still really ugly. 

The post vice stand had a BEAUTIFUL first layer of weld. The 3 layers above that weren't as pretty though. 

I'll need to screw new holes for the mounting plate on the post vice stand because my derp brain positioned the post backwards and didn't notice till it was fully welded on! 

Oh, and I'll have to cut a hole for the leg or add something to the top plate to raise it. 

received_927066914965673.jpeg

received_517659970437582.jpeg

received_499689742342103.jpeg

Goods, I'm sorry it's not what you expected, but osage orange should also work wonderfully. It's extremely hard, and I like the smell (though that may just be when burning). Padauk is probably one of my favorite woods. It's easy to work, has a lovely smell, and that color can't be beat. Can't wait to see your finished knife!

JHCC, I must admit that what you're doing is somewhat outside my league of understanding, but bending 3/8*1 1/2 cold? Wow!

Shain, looking good. I need to get myself a twisting wrench like yours.

Well, I somewhat accidentally sold a fillet knife. I guess someone likes them! Got started on another. What else can I make with bandsaw blade? I’d like to use it for Damascus, but don’t have the other steel yet. I may test harden some pallet strapping from work, as I’ve heard that can be HC. I want to try little kitchen knives, like small paring and trimming knives. Maybe a bird and trout knife? I have almost unlimited amounts of this stuff for free, but it’s only .042” thick. Next time I light the forge I’ll try to work it down to some thicker stock, but I think it will be a struggle.

image.jpg

56FB5938-7A81-4F63-BA7C-AECD0F72F257.jpeg

5 hours ago, Chimaera said:

pallet strapping from work

Some can, some cant from what i have found. I dont know about where you work but from what i found is that stock we get wrapped with black strap is no good, but we get some wrapped with blue strap that is. Obviously that is not a rule, nor can i tell you if the paint denotes the kind of strap, just what i have discovered in my experiments.