I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks. That was what I was going for, something to just keep the edge from getting dinged up. I started with two flaps, but found one of them to be redundant, so I removed it. You can see the scar where the snap once was. 

I had thought about trying something out of wood to protect the edge, but wasn’t sure I could pull it off. I forget there I saw it. It was on YouTube. Some outdoor guy in Finland or somewhere in Siberia. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the barrette Chad! 

The brackets look great on their space John. 

I had said before that I was going to drill the holes for the rivet in my tongs but today I got to wondering if that would remove too much stock and end up making that a weak point. So I'm going to punch them instead. I thought I'd do that tonight but caught a chill I couldn't shake so I decided to curl up in a blanket and watch Netflix with Ashley instead. Maybe tomorrow. 

I reread and rewatched stuff on these tongs, took different notes, and plan to try another pair after a few other projects. 

I also tumbled around the internet for a bit for ideas on door knockers, which is the trade item for the February BAM meeting and I really want to participate. I have a plan sketched out and playing with clay tonight. 

If there’s enough mass in the boss, drilling is fine. If they’re skinny, you could split and drift, to save as much mass as possible. 

10 minutes ago, Shainarue said:

The brackets look great on their space John. 

Thanks!

Shainarue tongs are something you improve on a you do them.  My first 2 sets are ugly, 3rd was better, and the 4th set is great for smaller stuff.   But I also have multiple sets laying on the table because I didn't like how I forged them or I made them left handed.  

I'll stick with the knocker plan I have for this one or else I'll get so caught up in looking at ideas that I'll never start, lol. But yes, send the group link please for future inspiration!

I marked up on the tongs where the river will be and the diameter. It will be a 1/4" rivet. Width of the two bars together is just a touch over that and I had a scrap piece I could use to make the rivet. 

received_924255235248209.jpeg

Dagnabit, I busted a rivet hole again! 

received_1189750524987799.thumb.jpeg.1f2fec189f27a28dcc51b15df5aa552c.jpeg

I think I'm gonna take a short break from these. I learned a few lessons but don't have any more stock to work with. Next pair will start with thicker stock, have offset jaws, and a wider boss. I'll also pay better attention at keeping each handle as even as possible. 

Picking up some 3/4 square stock tomorrow for the door knocker and will get more than I need so I'll have it when I'm ready to try these again. I have a welding lesson with my brother next Saturday and I'm bringing both of the busted tong handles with me as one of the things to work on other than scrap. 

You wrap one full rotation on the inner, taller section. You then drop the scroll to the bottom of the form and wrap a second full rotation on the outer,  shorter section. The scroll comes out flat and needs minimal adjustment. 

Shainarue, are you punching the holes full sized? For a narrow boss like that, I would use a thin slot punch just a little wider than the rivets diameter aligned parallel to the sides of the boss, keeping it as centered as possible. Then, drift to size. This will maximize the material in the side walls. If you use a wider slot punch, you can upset the sides of the boss before drifting to get even more mass around the boss.

Keep it fun,

David

Shainarue, i would suggest starting with 1" x 1/2" stock. Try and keep the boss at 1". Mark Aspery just made a video last week (?) on how he makes scrolling tongs. Instead of making the pointy ends on scrolling tongs just make them into jaws. He also points that out in the video. I would suggest watching that before trying again. 

Sweet sheath!

i piddled around some more with the portable tripod stand for the little 60 pound Trenton I picked up a month ago 

2”x2” 1/8” wall legs, 1/4” plate top an feet

aint figured how imma attach to anvil yet though or the tool holders

the other stand is for the bigger 172 pound Trenton 

4”x4” 1/4” wall legs 1/2” plate top an feet 

gonna be expanded metal an angle iron baskets underneath both of them

D8037E6B-814C-49F3-A99F-80A4FD918B00.jpeg

A62DBE9E-FC97-4249-8192-455B2C8F4CF2.jpeg

20E9C783-1F96-4AD3-BFA1-39FA9F6EBFC7.jpeg

A lot of welding today. First, transferred the last of the big spool of .035” flux core wire to the spool I got from my local welding supply. 

0544DF3E-858A-4EB4-BBDB-A3033E28D393.thumb.jpeg.b715bf55fd027f68e345da4091f19bd9.jpeg

Then a long-overdue repair to my Andy hammer:

06DDD37E-8D86-44BB-8A48-8863E4A68AAB.thumb.jpeg.40648a14f2d2a946921503e06eb5bd4a.jpeg

And welded up a proof-of-concept stock support/hold-down combination, based on Kim Thomas’s chiseling bench. 

97FFE37A-ABA6-430B-83C2-4CE86DA5D0A5.thumb.jpeg.77e1d40ad95772eed016744c316ac373.jpeg

AF53397E-A373-4670-94D5-EAAAB268F271.thumb.jpeg.64e42bb5744fd01358d5c7fe52705357.jpeg

D74F22E1-F27C-4D6C-8AF2-00DC6757FC7B.thumb.jpeg.8db5d7004e7742a167c6c1ae451770a4.jpeg

The latter needs a few modifications and a heavier weight, but I think we’re on the right track. 

Worked on a stand for the Porta-band. Added epoxy to hold the plate and clamped. Should be ready to cut the stock for my door knocker tomorrow evening. Won't be doing any hammering though since I sliced into the thumb on my hammering hand pretty good with the cutoff wheel. Doh! Ashley wants me to go to the Dr tomorrow to have it looked at, which I think is a waste of $40 but it will give her peace of mind which is worth more than money. 

received_501686958762919.jpeg

received_659272195974209.jpeg

I've looked at pictures and videos of porta-bands mounted stationary. Haven't done it myself, but am curious how that set up works for you. FWIW I was told by a PSA that infections in a hand are not very common with an open wound. But, still best to get it glued shut to speed up the healing process. 

7 hours ago, lary said:

I've looked at pictures and videos of porta-bands mounted stationary. Haven't done it myself, but am curious how that set up works for you.

One portaband setup I saw recently that really intrigues showed a saw ratchet strapped to a post in the shop, right at elbow height. Considering this as the horizontal bandsaw takes up valuable floor space and doesn't see much use.

Got started on a figure I'm trying to teach someone to do. Based on Zeevik Gottlieb's work. Punched hole is for a rivet that holds the torso in place. Bending the flattened curve forms the hips of the figure. Did some practice feet to try and get the shape right before forging them on the finished piece

bendpunch.JPEG

Hips.JPEG

Feet.jpeg