Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is an outstanding walking stick.

It is called a Fokos in Hungary, Balkans, Eastern Europe. Also called a Shepherds axe. used for walking and self defense. I make them out of RR spikes.

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

finished the cane for my Dad

Here's a picture of one of mine. Can't hold a candle to yours' great job. 

fokos.thumb.jpg.a9b25f6b84ea6f96ed2106cd9c889870.jpg

Cool. KNives are one of those things where each one is a little better than the last. It took me a dozen or so before I started to think they might be worth asking money for, and probably another dozen before I felt good enough about them to start asking enough money to really be worth my time. 

That said, some of the ones not suitable to ask people to pay for can still be useful. The third knife I ever made is my go-to small kitchen knife and gets used several times a week. It is ugly and crude, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful as a cutting tool. 

9 minutes ago, Shainarue said:

Next forging project will be riveting tools and

Shainarue,

before you make your bucking block an rivet header check out black bear forge guys video, that’s what I followed an it’s pretty straightforward, I did a post in tools on it but his is better!

This is what gave me the idea. I believe it is a war hammer, but don’t know if it is an actual one from when they were used or if it is just a modern one. I found it on Pinterest. The actual site no longer has the photo. A woman who works for me wants me to make her husband a walking stick like yours. Spike and all. 

Wandering Rogue, unless you are just really, really wanting to learn to make a decent set of tongs, there is really no need. I made a mangled mess once that was intended to be tongs. I still use them to fish things out of acid baths. Ugly, horrid things. I just buy them. 

E331A9B7-BD6D-40C9-AEF2-C4F4C8CA5387.png

3 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

check out black bear forge guys video

Will do. 

2 hours ago, DHarris said:

I just buy them. 

I bought a set of preformed blanks from Ken's Custom Iron so most of the work is done. I've already tapered the handles to my liking, I just need to punch a hole for the rivet, twist the jaws and smash the rivet in. Enough steps to work on skills but not completely from scratch. I also want to make a pair from scratch using the easy tongs blueprint on this site. Stock to make tongs is a heck of about cheaper than buying tongs every time a new shaped need arises. 

And a cool warhammer it is. Definitely modern, but I like the crow's beak.

Lots of people still have the faulty notion, perpetuated by fantasy, even modern fantasy like GoT, that a war hammer is some huge heavy thing. 

Technically those huge heavy things are mauls. 

This weekend I was out camping with the instructors for a scouts camp they're giving this winter. It's all about woodcutting. I want to join the team so I was invited to join them this weekend. I brought the axe I forged earlier this week and it worked a charm! It was the first time I chopped down a tree with one of my own axes so that was pretty cool. With a file as the bit the axe stayed sharp over the weekend as well, practically no damage to the edge!

I have completely forgotten about the letter opener challenge actually...

~Jobtiel

I'm late getting started on Christmas stuff but this came to me at work the other day.   I was hoping it would be able to stand on its own, which it can,  but any amount of weight pulls it over the front of the table.   Maybe I weld in a flat bar for an adhesive pad.  

20221030_115932.jpg

Did some cleaning and maintenance, including blade replacement on my second-hand B3 Beverly shear. 
mine of the bolts on the upper blade was stuck fast to the point the female Allen socket stripped out, so I had to weld a more formidable shank into it to get it to break loose (thank God, because the next step was to drill it out and I was not looking forward to that). 

Then I used it to cut out the parts for a Churburg 13 - inspired cuirass. 

And yes, I built a mounting plate with shank to turn my Beverly shear into a hardy tool. 

E23F9B63-2BCB-4F24-A4DC-7FC0FA3B8B31.jpeg

I've always wanted a B2 Beverly shear, but they are SO xxxxxx expensive. I came across this B3 offered to me at the embarassingly low price of $300 about a year ago and it was a no-brainer. 

I was immediately offered $600 for it, but despite the opportunity to double my money, I knew I would never again find a Beverly shear, least of all a B3, at anywhere close to that price. 

Edited by Mod30
Language