• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you! It may be a bit before I finish it...I have a new belt grinder waiting to be set up to do the job, but I need to find time to do it. The plan is to put a medium length handle on it; maybe around 24" - 30" long. That size seems to work pretty well for us.

I made a bickern out of a rail road spike hammer and a car axial.  The hammer head weighed 10lbs to start and 6 lbs when attached to the axial, total weight when finished is 11lbs.  No heat treat involved so far, I am hoping I do not have to do it, time will tell.  The work was inspired by Daswulf's  stake anvil project this past winter in this forum.

20180509_090723.jpg

20180509_090745.jpg

20180509_090940.jpg

20180106_115428.jpg

20180106_120428.jpg

20180419_102332.jpg

20180419_102349.jpg

20180421_143119.jpg

20180421_143131.jpg

20180507_110505.jpg

Nice job! Even better than mine. 

Yup, use it a while and see if it even needs hardened. I hardened mine to use as a stump anvil as well. If you're not doing heavy hammering on the face it might be just fine. 

The bourbon is showing. ;) nice work. 

Last night ended up being a visiting night. Tonight I got the dragonflies all done and clear coated. Also got a spider done and started a crab. ( thanks for getting that in my head Aus. Lol. Sorry no pictures tonight. My phone was dead and took forever to charge enough to even turn on.  I really need a new phone. This one is on its last legs and I'm surprised it lasted this long. 

I'll get more done tomorrow and get pictures then. 

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Also got a spider done and started a crab. ( thanks for getting that in my head Aus. Lol. Sorry no pictures tonight.

No worries, Das. Keep us posted on the crab. I've been thinking of some bigger scrap art - a big scorpion might be next. And I found a mudguard off a Fergie tractor that is the exact shape of a crab shell. Even has the bolt holes where the eyes would be. As you would know, the discovery of a perfect piece of scrap is a defining moment. Just have to find the rest to complement the starting piece.

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

Got together with IFI member Lou L at his home forge. We made wineglass holders and a pair of tongs, and afterwards we drank bourbon. Fun was had. 

You bums..   I'm only about 1 hour and change away..   I would have found the time for a quick visit...    Nice work.. :) 

PVF AL, nice work.. Custom dies for the C scrolls? 

How much time do you have into it? 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

You bums..   I'm only about 1 hour and change away..   I would have found the time for a quick visit...    Nice work.. :) 

Next time, I promise!

(And thank you!)

Thank You everyone. The first quatrefoil took about 18 hrs to work thru over several days. I made a custom jig to form the c scrolls around, but wound up resizing them around a 1&3/4" pipe. Had to take the second one apart and completely rework it after a friend spotted that I had rolled the scrolls the wrong direction. ( knew something was off, but couldn't figure out what). The last two went faster. It was a exercise in consistency and patience. But my wife tells me I should work on one of those on a constant basis. There are 72 tapers in the piece. I also made some jaws for the vise, to hold during the collaring. Although I lost track of the time I believe I have about 55 hours in it.  Al

Playing with spiders tonight while the galvy bits soak to work on some scorpions. Plus a peek at crabby. More table fodder. 

On top of that I've been getting ready to get serious. Ordered a square card reader, got 500 business cards, and table cloths in black and grey to fit 8' tables. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg