I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

It’s a forging hammer; this is my current dishing hammer (made from a RR splice bolt, per a suggestion from ThomasPowers):

4FF59E51-E06F-4C5D-90B3-0DC6063DC79D.jpeg

I’m thinking of making another dishing hammer along the lines of the new forging hammer, but with much more dramatically domed faces. That’s still in the idea phase, though, not in the planning.

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JHCC I remember you showing the dishing hammer before.(which I love). I just wasn't sure if you decided to make a new one with different radius on each face..   I'll be curious as to how you like it..  I imagine you have swung one before.. 

I've personally found this type of hammer for general forging to be a little more taxing on the wrist as it needs more stabilization at the handle on impact thus wanting to twist the head with each hit..  Also with the longer center axis to the face means a lower position for the anvil..  In cases where working over the far side of the anvil or even with an anvil tilted with the face away (yup have tried this also). This type of hammer design I really liked.. 

But, I only used one for a brief time when I was much younger.. it's great you are willing to try different styles/ideas..  

I know it's not all about me, but I have found that as I matured as a smith the hammers I choose to use now are usually more squat as are all the top tools.. I also prefer to have my hammers weighted just a tad heavier on the side of the face vs the peen end.. 

It's a beautiful hammer so please don't let anything I have written detract from that..  Just ramblings of an old person. .. :) 

Scrounged around in the scrap piles today to find some stuff to make a giant sized scorpion. These are some of the likely candidates. I intend to cut those picks in half to make the nippers and then work backwards from there. A section of that big chain should make a good tail and a crane hook for a sting perhaps. We'll see what eventuates.

scorpion parts.JPG

That's going to be a big one Aus. There are lots of parts to play with there. The pick parts will make some really mean claws. Might be needing some beefier legs. Maybe some bolts for the half from the body and weld on the spikes as the second half going down? 

Can't wait to see him all assembled. 

Booked some progress on the mobile brake drum forges. Proudly present the ‘Tumulus mobile solid fuel forges’. 10in wide cast iron brake drum heard. 20in diameter and table height. Think enough for forging at fairs, knife making  and mobile use. Will share my experience after first lightening.

DSC00443.JPG

DSC00444.JPG

DSC00446.JPG

Once again, I didn’t get a chance to fire up the forge this evening. However, I did get into the shop and made something for the linkage on the treadle hammer.  I’ve been playing around with this idea in my head for a while, so I’m pleased that it seems to work fairly well. 

As noted before, unhooking the chain that connects the arm to the treadle lets the hammer swing up and out of the way, giving me the clearance needed for hand hammering. Pulling the head down and re-connecting the chain lets me switch back to treadle hammering. Being able to switch back and forth easily is one of the greatest things about this rig, so I wanted to make the process a little bit easier.

The solution is this adjustable linkage, shown here in the unlatched position:

6582104A-D7CB-41C3-9CB2-7A4E2D4C67DA.jpeg

And here it is closed:

BA5EACD8-E8F4-4625-ABA5-386F19D5964A.jpeg

So basically, all you have to do is pull down the head, pull down the lever to shorten the distance between the ends of the two chains, and hook the ends of the lever to keep the thing together. To lengthen the linkage, reverse. The lever is made from about three feet of garage door torsion spring, straightened, normalized, and bent cold. If this proof-of-concept works well, I’ll forge a nicer looking one from another section (although I think it was either Frosty or ThomasPowers who said there’s nothing so permanent as a temporary solution).

Finished one more spider. ( larger one) Making 4 so far for the freaky fair. 

Started what would have been a bird head but have something different in mind. Thinking of a lanky fairy like creature. Not sure but I'll name him Rakkenfowl to start with. Needs arms and legs and whatever else yet like definition in the face. 

IMG_15052018_002428.jpg

IMG_15052018_002405.jpg

IMG_15052018_002335.jpg

IMG_15052018_001736.jpg

20180515_001152.jpg

Das, your spiders are so lifelike. That guy top right has the exact pose of a striking Sydney Funnelweb. They are really nasty customers.

Rakkenfowl has a whimsical look, very similar to the ones I do and which I call crazy birds. Those grasscutter points make excellent beaks. Tappets are very handy too. Make sure you post a pic when he's done.

I have noted your comments about the scorpion  legs. I had intended to beef them up a bit, probably with some bike chain. Not sure how that will go yet.  These scrap art pieces are really a constant process of problem-solving.

12 hours ago, Daswulf said:

A hinged/latching  pass through door would make life easier

Hi, Das -thanks for the tip, will cut the opening and place the door later, not so satisfied yet with the thin solid fuel containment made of tin

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

look too nice to use

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Look more like a wonderful table

Jennifer, Frosty, -the lady of the house shares your oppinion and will use (kidnapping) the stands for flower tables. The legs are simple 'belly' bars left overs from a balcony fence but very stabil. Thanks for your kind reply's.

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

.  These scrap art pieces are really a constant process of problem-solving.

Thanks Aus. That they are. It's all good fun though. 

I'll be getting the arms and legs started tonight hopefully when I get a chance to fire up the forge. Been holding off so I could get the zinc off of some bolts. Those are done so I have a bunch of parts that need forged. 

Thanks Cincinnatus. I had a big fear of spiders when I was younger. I'm not nearly as bad now. They are really interesting to see in real life and fun to make. 

You are welcome anytime Hans. :) the eyes turned out nice and angry looking on that one. 

I must have been tired because there was a 5th spider I didn't picture. He was hiding in the box with the dragonflies. Must have been hungry.

Found him this morning when I was questioning myself if I made 4 or 5. Thought I had 5 made. :rolleyes:

Finally have gotten off my rear end and have something to show from my meager little shop. I got the tobacco cutter finished that I had been working on. Works pretty well on a phonebook, so I'm guessing it will work well on tobacco also.

It's forged from leaf spring, canola oil quenched, two cycles of tempering, chisel ground, and all the wood is maple. Handle is finished with clear coat and the board is finished in food grade cutting board oil.

I still need to insert some nylon bushings between the blade and post, then I will trim the screw flush with the post.

https://youtu.be/aUSw5mXoTk4

DSC_0697.thumb.JPG.48bcc3566e23f5a03d0d2985d513aa1c.JPGDSC_0696.thumb.JPG.187eb978cb53ac53c106a8807251a6e6.JPG

DSC_0698.thumb.JPG.348264a3853c2785c8bd97a6b8dc8a7a.JPG

DSC_0699.thumb.JPG.04292331ee1de4ef1b39c22e8beebcd7.JPG