I Forge Iron

Just finished Knife #2

Chris C

Very nice. Did you make the pins yourself. I've been seeing mosaic pins for sale lately. Goes to show how popular knife making has become. Also in my opinion the angled guards and ricasso looks so much better than just making it 90 degrees straight up and down. 

Great work Chris. It's very impressive for a second knife. Looking forward to seeing more.

Pnut

I was just wondering if you bought or made them. It's up to the individual. I personally would buy them versus taking the time to make them if they were reasonably priced. For me it would be more of a financial decision rather than a craftmanship decision. I was going to suggest that they could be purchased if you didn't already know. Keep up the great work. 

Pnut

Thanks, Les.  I tend to gravitate to them also.  I've never dressed any game, but I've watch a couple of times and it looks as it this little knife would work for the job.  Not a skinner, but I think it'd do for the rest of the job.  If I were to make one for that specific purpose, I'd alter the shape of the birds head a bit.

Thanks, Daswulf.

pnut, I'm gettin' to the point that super small things have a hard time staying in my creaky/shaky old hands.  The 1/16" pins I put in the first knife kept disappearing into the other county somewhere!  :D

That is a beaut all right!  Well worth some serious money.

Now for dressing game I prefer bolt on corian handles with High C stainless blades for disassembly and dishwasher cleanup. I remember how surprised a local hunter was when I made his gambrel hooks from stainless and told him they would be dishwasher safe; but perhaps not spouse approved.

Chris, That style knife is perfect for skinning, you can split the hide in 1/2 the time as someone using  a gut hook and never touch the meet or guts (you make all  cuts from  inside the hide). I can use that knife to skin and debone a deer in less than 30 minutes. I don't think the shape of the bird's head would be a problem, when I'm skinning I have my index finger on the side of the blade, my middle finger is doing most of the grip, at the guard, and I rotate the knife around it to change direction of the cut, back two fingers are very loose with the end of the handle resting in the center of my palm.