I Forge Iron

571 pound new to me anvil

I am picking this anvil up in 3 days, te guy sold it to me for 350 bucks. Heck of a deal! If maybe one of you can help me identify it, i'd really appreciate that:D

anyhow here are some pics of this beauty.

838904750_PNG-afbeelding5.png.a6941f2c5eee59e931f3e7d852f4a97b.png

IMG_0669.thumb.jpg.a2ceedfc1ae12b56b5259b79f41ff57d.jpgIMG_0655.thumb.PNG.0739d05fdb0613f36b0f2bd243bb018f.PNG

PNG-afbeelding.png.e09f82e6bf6a4fb6dc7d90671a2dd925.png

PNG-afbeelding 3.png

PNG-afbeelding 4.png

The markings shown are the only one he could find, Saturday I'll look for some more.

already a big thanks for the help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy MOLY SWEET DEAL! Take good tie downs a sudden stop or worse with that baby in the trunk or back of your pickup could be B-A-D.

Congratulations. Now I'm going to go sooth my envious self with a fresh cup of coffee and cookie.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Now I'm going to go sooth my envious self

Go pet your Soderfors, Frosty, the Best Anvil  Ever Made - you will feel better!

10 minutes ago, SilentForge said:

Any ideas

What are you removing it from and what will you be putting it upon (assuming that you have no rigging equipment)?

Robert Taylor

GREAT DEAL!  What a lucky find. Unloading that beast will be a task for sure. Pipe tripod and 1ton hoist. Or maybe a cherry picker. If you don't have the equipment are there tool/equipment rental outfits where you live? If so it shouldn't be too expensive to rent what you need for the day. Make sure you put it where you want it to be permanently. You probably won't want to move it more than once. It's not exactly a portable anvil ;-)

Use it in good health

Pnut

This guy just popped up from the same seller, and 125 bucks cheaper!! I have a pretty big dilemma now if y'all had to choose wich one would it be?

My Grandad said he would lend me his forklift so problem solved:D

550100878_Schermafbeelding2019-06-12om13_20_11.png.09b513141f92fb272b667c9a6130d89b.png1781825455_Schermafbeelding2019-06-12om13_19_26.png.6a052bd518e32fe371d2a7673cde5434.png583487070_Schermafbeelding2019-06-12om13_19_50.png.3ea81da5deed15c7046bc11ca1c8d37d.png

This puppy is 186 Kg about 410 pounds.

I personally tend to buy this anvil instead of the other one because it's almost in a mint condition.

They both are in great condition; but the second one is pretty mint.  I would take a 1/2" ball bearing and take the one with the best rebound.  You are extremely unlikely to need an anvil larger than the second one  and as it is cheaper and mint condition I would check rebound and run!

Blacksmiths suffer terribly from anvil envy an d so we get folks just doing it as a hobby using large industrial anvils while some big name professionals worked their entire career  on 75 kilo anvils.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, ThomasPowers said:

They both are in great condition; but the second one is pretty mint. Blacksmiths suffer terribly from anvil envy and so we get folks just doing it as a hobby using large industrial anvils while some big name professionals worked their entire career  on 75 kilo anvils.

75 kilo and smaller.  Not to mention the specialized smiths (blades and horseshoes), who often work on anvils in the 35-40 kilo range.

The specialized anvils used by professional bladesmiths in Sheffield England tended to be fairly massive.  Hobby or custom bladesmiths today who don't expect to forge many scores of blades every day often are smaller.

Most of the old books I have state that around 75 kilo was the "standard" shop anvil for a general blacksmithing shop.  Very large ones were often used by shipyards and major industrial plants dealing with steel.

Wish we had a "green with envy" emoji here on the forum..................for I am seriously lusting over that beautiful anvil.  I could only hope someday to even get to use one like it, much less own one like it.  Congratulations.  It should serve you well.

I would've been doing a happy dance and gloating to the guys in the club if I'd lucked into either but I think you picked the better of the two. Good choice, please post pics when you get her set up. You lucky dog you. ;)

Chris: I think this one :wub: is as close to a "green with envy" emoji as we have. I'd like a raised eyebrows and maybe a roll eyes but I guess those might cause friction where I'd use them most. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.