I Forge Iron

Getting the kids involved

Here's some pictures of my 2 year old boy. Me and him were in the shop and he was working hard. It's a beautiful thing sharing your passion with the most important person in your life, so If anyone else has any youngins that stick to their sides I'd love to know. Thanks guys have a good one. 

IMG_20190513_161703.thumb.jpg.c5ad900dd6d1e2986d98aa2151d1c1f4.jpg

IMG_20190513_161629.thumb.jpg.ff5fa96cc2b97e1f25c8296a626e0cca.jpg

IMG_20190513_161658.thumb.jpg.b2e6d7df71628ad60c37744aa17b204b.jpg

Very cool good on you. WHERE IS HIS EYE PROTECTION?! :angry: If you  don't think he's strong enough to flip that hook up and into an eye with that hammer someone needs to come down there and slap some sense into you.

Protect the most important person in our life, start NOW! Do him the favor of teaching him to use proper PPE as a matter of habit every single time. No exceptions! When someone is visiting your shop you want your boy ordering them to put on eye protection. Not asking TELLING.

You don't want to be sending a one eyed boy to his first day in school do you, Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm with Frosty. That's not a mistake I'm prepared to live with.

I started PPE acculturation with my now-five-year-old back when he was about two; now he wears safety glasses and earplugs whenever he's hammering on something. You can find kid-size safety glasses at most big-box and hardware stores.

Now thay that ^ is said and I'm sure you'll get him some ppe.

Good on you getting him excited early. Can't wait till my daughter is old enough to come learn in the shop. Mommy brought her up a couple times while I was forging, but it didnt last long. She couldn't stop staring at the fire.  Practically turned her head around backwards when mom turned to avoid it. So she can start when she can understand Not to stare into the fire. (And not put everything in her mouth) :rolleyes:

I think it Is about time for me to make her a little wooden hammer and anvil to work some playdough. :)

This is a picture of my grandson. He was watching me from 10 feet away. I thought he was safe enough. I was wrong. Just about a half inch higher and we would been visiting the ER.  He now wears safety glasses if he is near the area. 

I do agree though it is great sharing an activity we enjoy with our children or their children. 

2AE3AE8F-206B-4AEB-BAD3-DF618319085F.jpeg

One of the main reasons that safety is really pushed on ifi. 

Also maybe consider a cover for the hot cut while not in use once he starts hammering. I noticed it's welded on so maybe even just a tin can to cover it. 

Hammer Heart: You still there? We're not trying to beat up on you, we're just OCD where safety is concerned and ESPECIALLY with children. We tend to get carried away when something scares us. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Completely agree with the eye protection comments, cheap insurance. 

That being said, good on you for introducing a healthy hobby in him.

And he stole my haircut.

It is no different than him throwing his toy trucks up into the air and watching them hit the ground. I agree with protection, but I also know that anything can happen at any time. I'm pretty sure a toy sword to the eye can do just as much damage. So frosty before you talk about smacking people you might want to step back and think a little harder, Might do people like you some good. I appreciate you all caring about my childs safety, to the people that do it the right way. 

you should be smart enough to have some safety glasses on the kid for WHEN he smacks himself with a chip, clinker, ash or something...., is that clear enough to understand?  We encourage safety first here even if you dont

3 hours ago, HammerHeart said:

So frosty before you talk about smacking people you might want to step back and think alittle harder, Might do people like you some good.

I have scars from having sense slapped into me, I'd prefer to see your children not.

On YOUR head.

Frosty The Lucky.

Like I said I agree with safety. He was barely peddling around. If he was actually swinging the hammer it would be different. I respect people caring for my kids safety. But there's a right and wrong way to do everything. And frosty didn't go about It right. Good advise? Yes. He should have been wearing protection. Slapping people? Joke. 

3 hours ago, HammerHeart said:

It is no different than him throwing his toy trucks up into the air and watching them hit the ground.

There is a huge difference in hammering hot metal being held with tongs on the anvil and this scenario. You are just tempting fate by not insisting on him and you wearing eye protection.

It's a shame people are so stuck on the bad they can't see the good. He'll be safe from now on. From now on if you have something smart to say that doesn't benefit anyone keep it to yourself. Other than that tell them the problem and hope that they fix it. I'm done with this text arguing junk. It's a waste. Appreciate the help. 

Getting kids involved in your life is a good thing and I hope you keep it up.  Better in the shop than stuck with their noses in their phones or the television!

If you want something to really help, get yourself a copy of Paul Hasluck's "Bent Ironwork".  While your kiddo is a bit small still, BI was written with widows and orphans in mind.  It's a fun read and has a ton of valuable projects that folks can do because it's written around the idea of minimal tooling and repetitive curves.  I love the book and consider it a genuine treasure in my library.  For the pittance it costs, you really can't go wrong.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I have scars from having sense slapped into me, I'd prefer to see your children not.

Frosty is talking about him having scars from having sense slapped into him. That was from a different generation and a different time.  I do not read this as involving your children but protecting them from scars.

IForgeIron pushes safety and encourages folks to step forward and say something when they see a dangerous situation or a situation where someone could get hurt. After that it is the up to the individual to take the proper action as that is their choice. If the injury to the child now reminds people to think safety then it is a valuable lesson you have passed on to us. Thank You.

I hope no one minds me starting this argument, but... Everyone is talking about safety. I'm absolutely fine with that since i'm a health and security officer. But it seems to me that a simple safety goggle is the ultimate solution. Don't get me wrong, it's recommended to wear such a goggle at work. But I've seen lot of blacksmiths on YT and on pics in forums insisting on safety and wearing these goggles, but no one for example permanently uses ear protection. It's scientifically proven that hitting steel with a hammer on an anvil produces a frequency spectrum one can't hear (resulting in no "real" noise) but that's damaging your sense of hearing permanently. In most cases these blacksmiths only use ear protection when working with tools that are obviously loud. But no one seems to wear ear protection all the time when forging. And additionally I've seen a lot of people using these standard safety googles when using an angle grinder or belt grinder. In Germany that's not permitted 'cause one has to wear tight-fitting protective goggles. So, is that just an appearance due to my perspective? Again, please don't get me wrong! I just want to learn more about your opinion and how the US deals with safety at work (in fact in Germany we always hear that the USA have a much more strict safety system than us). I'm excited for your answers and hope for a fair discussion! 

P.S.: If there's something not expressed correctly, forgive me. It's hard to find the right words and terms as a foreign speaker. It's not my intention to offend someone!

6 minutes ago, c.baum said:

But I've seen lot of blacksmiths on YT and on pics in forums insisting on safety and wearing these goggles, but no one for example permanently uses ear protection.

We try to discourage folk from believing what they see on Youtube much is downright dangerous. A scar I carry is tinnitus in both ear and I wore hearing protection most of my life but ear plugs aren't enough. The nerve damage to the left side of my head makes the tinnitus much louder on my left side than the right but I've been living with it since I was maybe 16.

Just covering your ears won't protect your hearing from certain frequencies and amplitudes, as bone conduction can cause hearing damage in cases.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:54 AM, Frosty said:

Very cool good on you. WHERE IS HIS EYE PROTECTION?! :angry: If you  don't think he's strong enough to flip that hook up and into an eye with that hammer someone needs to come down there and slap some sense into you

I don't think Hammerheart is disagreeing with his overlooking proper PPE practices. I do believe he was offended you said someone needs to come to his house and smack some sense into him.  In certain parts of the country that is enough to start a real fight face to face and rural KY is just such a place.

Hammerheart stated more than once in more than one post he'd be more thoughtful about PPE and in the future he'd have his son wearing theproper PPE. I'm sure it's the"someone needs to come down there......" that he took exception to.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure over a cup of coffee in a cafe this wouldn't have happened. Text communication being what it is misunderstandings are going to happen. 

Pnut (Mike)

'

Exactly.  It's easy to misread things or type something that sounds sensible in your head but doesn't come through to the reader the same way.

So, everyone and their momma has ragged on the guy for endangering his child, in their estimation.  Lord knows what they must think about transporting kids in automobiles - and, no, seat belts are the barest measure of "safety".  What really chaps my hide is the dog piling as though everyone needs to say the same blessed thing.  It's a picture of a kid having some fun with his dad.  Congrats to both of them for spending time together.  Or, we can continue the thread drift and possibly drive the guy away from the forum entirely.

Kudos, HH, for being a good dad.  Just remember, the next time you post a picture of your son helping you at the forge, make sure he's wearing a full aluminized suit like those guys at the steel mill. ;)

1 hour ago, VaughnT said:

It's a picture of a kid having some fun with his dad.  Congrats to both of them for spending time together.

Well said, Vaughn.  Let's not lose sight of what's important here. The world needs more Dads like this guy.

I received a request to delete this entire thread because its gone on far enough and those involved now understand the eye protection issues.

It wont be removed, because this is not a one-to-one conversation, this is world wide and people come here to learn, this is an issue that people need to be aware of, not just today but in the coming tomorrows as well. so this thread stands as is