I Forge Iron

what to do with a cupped anvil

i'm wondering what i would do with my anvil since it has a large cup in it( about 1cm or 3/8"  deep). its from 1866 but that's all that i know about it but i don't want to wreck it by doing something stupid since its a piece off history in my opinion. 

i read on the forum you should spend about 2000 h on it to see how it preforms but i cant find any straight spot on it.  

so i'm wandering if i should just get a second straight anvil or thick slab to put along side it and use that for straightening or weld up the cupped part?

aambeeld.jpg

aambeeld 2.jpg

aambeeld 3.jpg

aambeeld 4.jpg

Do nothing: anything that you could do would destroy the market value and history. It is perfectly usable just the way it is for 99% of the things that an average blacksmith would do.

Most of the time you only need a flat surface under your work the size of the hammer face. The gentle curve is actually useful when trying to get something perfectly straight, metal has a memory and tends to rebound.

If you ever do need a perfectly straight and flat surface with absolutely square edges for a special item, make a plate with a stem that fits in the square hardy hole.

As others have said, do nothing but use it.  Other than touching up that mushrooming, it's serviceable.  Assuming that barely visible hole in the photos is a standard hardy, you might make a flattening plate to fit it--just a hunk of good flat steel  roughly as wide as the anvil x about 4" (or whatever works) welded to a stem that fits the hardy and hardened appropriately.  That gives you a smooth and well-finished banging surface that can be popped in when needed and set aside when not.

Curious about that fixture welded to the side. After looking more closely, all my first gut reactions as to its purpose seem incorrect.  Anyone have guesses as to intent?  Some way to turn it into a feature instead of a wart on the anvil (maybe a way to attach some sort of top tool) ?

1 hour ago, ADHD-forge said:

The fixture on the side is a magnet to keep the ringing to a minimum :) just somthing i picked up along the way

Is it glued or something?  It looked a bit like it was welded on is why I brought it up.  ...And...no coffee this morning so I did have a case of Uh--duh going on :) 

I have noticed something interesting about my tinnitus, after getting my hearing aids the ringing etc. has been reduced by about 90% and sometimes goes away completely. My audiologist said that is quite common because the hearing aids retrain the brain for sounds. They will not cure ringing in the ears but in my case it's been a relief, however prevention is the best course of action. If I had only known that 60 years ago.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Sly, the problem is when you go to bed and the "sweet music" as you call it does not stop. Tinnitus is not fun. It is an accumulative issue, meaning it may fade away now, but over time it won't anymore. Protect your hearing now not later.

tell me about it, i lost half of my hearing on the right side due to an infection and i always use hearing protection a work, butt now i'm even more conscious about it and tell co-workers to use it so they don't have to suffer the same fate as me

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

The magnet looks like it is welded due to the build up of fine scale particles making the appearance of a fillet.

Looks to be a speaker magnet with a bolt in the center of the keeper plate.

the magnet is a general purpose magnet we use in the shop and on job-sites. mostly for holding anti flame blankets up to protect electrics, gearboxes, etc...

we buy em in bulk because the tend to fall off of thing or get blown away in windy conditions.

about everything said above is true. however working on a flat faced anvil is a joy. so if you are so inclined, heres probably the best process to reface an anvil. to me its worth it. Ive done two and getting ready to reface a third. if you can stick weld, its pretty straight forward. i dont know current rod prices, but heres a less expensive rod than stoody, or so ive been told.

hobart hardalloy

hardalloy 32 for the base \

hardalloy 58 cap

On 12/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Sly, the problem is when you go to bed and the "sweet music" as you call it does not stop. Tinnitus is not fun. It is an accumulative issue, meaning it may fade away now, but over time it won't anymore. Protect your hearing now not later.

I had to think about that for a moment I suppose that might be an issue of environment, I mostly forge outside in a backyard where its not too much an issue but if you were in a enclosed environment with concrete floors I definitely could see that being an issue.

As an army vet my hearing is sort of already messed up, so the anvil doesn't sound that bad, I still pass hearing tests but I have an angle which is a blind spot that I cant hear from.

sorry to disturb the forum.

Sly,

You said,  and I quote,

2 hours ago, Sly said:

As an army vet my hearing is sort of already messed up, so the anvil doesn't sound that bad, I still pass hearing tests but I have an angle which is a blind spot that I cant hear from.

With respect that is a poor rationalization for continuing to tolerate loud noises.

Your hearing will deteriorate more and eventually you will not pass hearing tests.

Loud noises destroy the specific hair cells.  (one hair cell per frequency), Once they are gone,  a hearing aid will NOT bring those frequencies back.

Being deaf is many times worse  than being blind.

Happy new year.

SLAG.

One of the big downside of working on solid tool steel anvils is indeed the ring. I wear earplugs all the time; every time I go near a computer room or a datacenter I utterly empty those dispensers; and keep a couple large jars in my workshop :D

A friend of mine had a peddinghaus anvil; and he just couldn't use it anymore because of the sound - granted this was a extremely loud anvil.

Back on track about this thread; I'd use it the way it is. Buy a straight anvil for your works requiring a straight surface. 

You're from Antwerp in belgium right ? Did you know they are still occasionally manufacturing anvils in Turnhout? And that most anvils made there - search for UAT anvils - are shipped to the USA for some reason I have yet to find out. There are plenty of anvils around Belgium; and even a lot more free steel which can serve as anvil. Last week; in Mechelen; they tossed away worn train axles.... 40 of 'm. The external steel recycling firm didn't want them as they were too heavy and too difficult to move. So they stayed in a parking lot for about 5 years untill someone decided to clean them up. I asked the guys to grab a couple for me with a crane; and cut them up in their xxl lathes. So I went home with 4 x 20x60cm axle steel cylinders :D