I Forge Iron

Holland Anvil Swage Block 1

foundryguy

The name is clearly printed in the description and you can see it in the pics. A google search brings you to our FB page as the #2 suggestion. If I was a buyer on Ebay I would find the OEM in about 3 seconds to check the price, same as a website. Part of me says, let the buyer beware, another part says to the sellers, be up front with us? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I just checked the sold listings for swage blocks, and it looks like two of these got sold: one for $267 + $13.85 shipping, and one for "best offer accepted" + $13.85 shipping. There's one current listing for $325 with free shipping.

Considering that they had to pay 10% to eBay and another 3% to PayPal, their actual profit was about $86, less whatever they paid you for shipping.

My guess is that someone in Monroeville, PA ordered three (or more) of these at your $175 introductory price purely with an eye towards reselling them. Can't really blame them for seizing the opportunity, but they're not going to be able to repeat that precise stunt now that the regular price has gone up.

I saw the ads on Ebay and Craigslist. Personally, I'm blacklisting both people. But I have to agree that people too lazy to do the research to find the manufacturer, especially when the foundry name is so clearly shown in the photos, are destined to pay more.

I'm very pleased with mine and took it to my local club meeting to show it off.

Part of the problem is that many who are starting out do not realize that new made anvils and swage blocks are still available.

As to a website, there are sites that a quick website could be done from easily. Just find someone under 30 and tell them I need a site for my company - BOOM! you'll have one in less than a day... :D  It doesn't have to be fancy, just basic information; what is offered, prices, and contact information.  Only needs to be one page. Do you have a website for the foundry itself? 

23 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Part of the problem is that many who are starting out do not realize that new made anvils and swage blocks are still available.

Agreed, and that many new anvils are better than many of the old one.

And I think that our old timers narrative is sometimes at fault on this, promoting this ideas that old anvils are insuperable. If you read some of the post on Facebook it seems anvils are like wine, that gets better with time :blink:

Don't know if I count as an old timer; but I never considered an old anvil better than a *good* new anvil. However I'm cheap and until recently the old ones were substantially cheaper than the new ones. So I anviled up on old ones at less than US$1 a pound rather then the the new ones at several times that.  I'm flabbergasted at used anvil prices sometimes exceeding good new anvil prices! (especially when the old anvils are abused or of lower quality levels.)

Agreed again. No not about you being an old timer :P ... about the strange phenomenon of old anvils going for more than new prices. This is only possible with the fallacious idea that old is better than new. 

The existence of anvil shaped objects helps with this, and only a well informed education campaign can turn this around. But it is not easy. Most people that talk to me about anvils have this idea that the age of an anvil is some form of badge of honour like a violin, and that the older the better. 

I am really happy that Foundryguy has taken to this quest of making new high quality anvils. Good for you mate !

On 9/5/2018 at 4:14 PM, Reeltree said:

there are those who will pray and manipulate on the weak,

Isn't talking about "manipulating on" anybody sort of an adult subject for the forum? :ph34r:

People selling a thing want as much as they can get so they tend to "puff" it. Puffing being  talking up the positives and talking down the negatives. This car was owned by a little old lady from Pasadena who only drove it to the Piggly Wiggly once a week. Of course you don't mention she was a street drag racer 3 nights a week. Puffery. Right Craigslist up here is listing a smallish size 86 lb. I think, Arm and Hammer anvil as a very old, valuable antique in excellent condition! Poor pic says it's in good shape some edge chipping, but not excellent and hardly an antique. Puffery.

Seems now the literacy rate in high school grads is falling drastically and something like 13% read books. Evidently it takes too much time from smartphone gaming. 

When your education is mostly social conditioning and history is defined by the latest game or what someone on the web said your judgment is going to be appearance over substance. Look how many folk want to know how old their anvil is. 

It is now as it always has been and always will be. Buyer Beware. Take the used car to a mechanic BEFORE buying it, do your reading BEFORE you spend a bunch, etc. etc.

This bit of education is experience, something you gain right AFTER you needed it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, Lou L said:

A Holland Anvil swage block just popped up on Craigslist in Hartford, CT for $275.  Gotta tell you, it’s a sharp looking swage block!

We have had several people buy them for $175 delivered and resell them for a profit on Craigslist and Ebay. It bothered us at first but it is something we can not control. Several people have told us they found us through someones ebay add so it all works out. 

We appreciate the compliment as we are trying to bring an affordable quality product to market. 

If they are listing it on eBay for $275, that leaves them with a new profit of $63.92 taking into account the listing fees, and payment fees. 

Not a huge profit for them, and it's free marketing for you if people are searching for the item and buying direct instead.

I'd say it's a win win... you're (I assume), making your a profit from the initial sale... the 'customers' buying and reselling would be unlikely to purchase one otherwise, so your overall sales volume increases, and potential customers also increase (both from other people trying to copy the buy and resell idea, and those genuinely interest for themselves).

I like the wrench in the works idea. 

The one someone listed on cl in my area for $275. Is still there. So I would guess smart consumers would research to see what the price is elsewhere online and find out great deal is to be had new. 

I wouldn't worry about it. It's advertizing for you,  and the people trying to sell them for profit will sizzle out once more and more people learn about the better deal to be had from you. 

I'm slowly getting mine smoothed out the way I want and have used it a few times already. Great deal in my opinion. If I weren't swamped with other things I'd work on more projects I've been wanting to use it for.