I Forge Iron

Octagonal Hammer Handles

MC Hammer

While making a new handle for a small 3/4 pound cross peen I picked up at an antique store, I decided to re-profile my 3 lb & 2.5 lb cross peens with the octagonal shape.  I know this has been talked about already in various other threads, but I'd be interested in hearing from guys who've tried the octagon shaped handles and liked them and from those that tried them and didn't like them.  

My initial thoughts are that I do seem to be able to grip the hammer better and with less effort.  I think this will equate to less fatigue over hours of forging.  They certainly don't feel slippery in the hand but I wonder about blisters forming where the hand comes into contact with those small ridges of the octagon shape.  

Let's hear from you if you use or used octagon shaped handles.  Thanks, much appreciated!

I assume you mean just the handle would be octagonal? The part that is in the eye is still round, or also octagonal? Because that would mean you would need octagonal punches and drifts, complicating matters further. I imagine having an octagonal eye would also put more stress on the wood inside the eye, depending on which way the octagon is oriented. 

When i make handles, i prefer them to be more of an oval, with the elongated sides running parallel to the face, that way you can orient or index the face more easily mid swing. 

I haven't used an octagonal handle, but it just sounds uncomfortable. I would imagine the ridges would hurt.

My preferred shape is oval with a bulge at the end. I might have to adjust some more yet, but ya.

Also.... I've been wanting to say this somewhere since last night but couldn't figure out where. For the last few weeks to a month I've been longing for a wood lathe to make handles with, mostly for knifes. Finally last night I realized that handles aren't round.... Good thing I didn't go buy one yet haha!

Haven't tried truly octagonal, but I have sanded an oval handle to a more octagonal shape. 

If you imagine a rectangle drawn around the oval, and just gently knocking the corners off... If that makes any sense at all. 

Yes to blisters, but no more than switching to any new handle with a different profile to your established calluses. 

I quite like it for indexing the position of the hammer and the general comfort 

6 hours ago, genesaika said:

For the last few weeks to a month I've been longing for a wood lathe to make handles with, mostly for knifes. Finally last night I realized that handles aren't round....

There’s a way to turn wood in an oval cross section on a lathe. I saw it done on the woodwright shop years ago. You just have to set it offset a little and run it slow and carefully. He used a treadle lathe on the show so you definitely want to go really slow. 

If the handle hurts your hand it could be you are gripping it too hard.

I like the idea of an octogonal handle providing it is not a real octagon with 8 equal faces but rather 6 small faces and two wider ones to provide some better control. 

The one hammer grip that I made is octagonal, and I LOVE it. I think the flats "releave" pressure" from the right spots.

General shape is like the japanese knife handles - large side flats. medium top and bottom and the other 4 are smaller. Uniform tapper.

No a REGULAR Octagon has 8 equal sides.  "In Euclidean geometry, a regular polygon is a polygon that is equiangular and equilateral", Wiki

An octagon is a polygon that has 8 sides.

I teach a smithing class at a Geek U from time to time and have to know this stuff for when we break the edges of the S hooks AKA "Octagonalization" but not to a regular Octagon...

41 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

No a REGULAR Octagon has 8 equal sides.  "In Euclidean geometry, a regular polygon is a polygon that is equiangular and equilateral", Wiki

An octagon is a polygon that has 8 sides.

"Polygon" comes from the Greek πολύς (polús) "many" + γωνία (gōnía) "angle". Interesting to note that our words for many-sided figures are almost all Greek (pentagon, dodecagon, etc), with the exception of "quadrilateral" (from the Latin for "four sides") and "triangle" (also Latin, for "three corners"). We do sometimes use "tetragon" for a four-sided figure, and "trigon" survives (if archaically) as a term for a three-sided lyre (c.f. Daniel 3:4).

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like a wide variety of opinions out on it.  I think I'm going to like the flats on it, but I'll have to forge for a few hours before I know for sure.  They definitely don't roll as much.  Thinning down the stock handles it came with helped a lot too.

• 4 years later...

I took a look at the House Handle catalog online, and I must say it's a pretty comprehensive collection, including a number of different sizes of tomahawk handle. Worth checking out (if only for ideas for what we make ourselves!).

• 9 months later...

I love the look and feel of those types of handles. You might try an obround sectioned, sometimes called a slab, handle as well. They are easier to make and also feel quite nice in the hand. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by wirerabbit
remove quote

The prices are even reasonable. I remember from the far artmetal . list past there were places that sold jewelry and forming hammers of all kinds, I picked up a couple handless for my hammers. I don't see them in a search but it's been so long I only remember remembering a name. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucy.

I’ve got a nice chunk of osage orange (someone threw it in on a trade a while back) that I’m planning to use for chasing hammer handles. I gather it has the right combination of strength and flexibility for a nice whippy stroke.