I Forge Iron

DIY anvil stand

3 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

in my area we are swimming in rebar. Not that I go looking for rebar but I find it all the time. I do look for those mudflap hangers all the time but have yet to find any.

Must be an Oklahoma thing.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the mudflap hangers on a fairly regular basis; of course rebar is omnipresent; but in general I don't stop to pick it up or stock it in my scrap pile---though I did find a short piece of 1.5" stuff I picked up to try as the large stuff is supposed to be much higher in quality as it's used in major construction projects and so is a mission critical item.

I have many uses for rebar, like scrap art, so I grab it when it's easy. They are doing a lot of road construction here and there are piles of rubble with tons of rebar hanging out of it but to me it's not really worth asking about it. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

I am lucky to have our almost 200 year old homestead as my "scrap pile". Most of the barns were built and filled between 1920 and 1950, and we're left as is in the 80s when my grandfather retired from farming. On my last trip down I finally got to the barn room that holds all the scrap old snowmobiles, in a rack on the wall that i've overlooked my whole life was a lifetime supply of 1/2" rebar in 20 foot sticks. Must be at least 100 of them. Turns out my grandpa over-ordered when he did all of the concrete in the 70s and they've sat inside and dry since then. Also had about 30 feet of a 1.5" braided cable that I can use at will but it's quite rusty and would need to be unwound and cleaned before I gave welding it a go. 

Let me start off by saying your anvil stand looks well made and functional, I'm sure it will work until you find a better option. Now, in my research on anvils I have looked at many forums and articles, and I have found that the general consensus is standing the rail up is better. It makes perfect sense when you look at the physics of blacksmithing, you want to hit the surface with the most meat to it which a railroad tracks only has in one direction. Oriented how you have it now the only place on your anvil that makes good contact with the weight of the base is directly in the center, hitting on either side has drastically reduced efficiency. Where as orienting it the other way offers significantly more meat throughout the work surface.

As to the rebar tongs, well I think it's a great idea so long as you let the viewer know that rebar is not a good tool steel. My local big box hardware store, home Depot, carries round stock from 1/8 to 1/2(that u know of) which would make a much better tool than rebar. Also, the average guy might actually have a pile of good metal for it, they could be an auto mechanic with a pile of old springs. It's best to make sure you have a safety disclaimer and inform the viewers that there are other ways.

What I would do for a video making rebar tongs is label it as a way to practice before moving on to  making a good set. At the beginning I would state that rebar isn't optimal for tooling and can even be unsafe. Then I would inform the viewer that what I will be showing is a guide to the techniques used to make tongs and a good material to practice with. My intro would have a disclaimer stating that blacksmithing, metal working, and machining is dangerous and that proper PPE is vital to the art.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, genesaika said:

What I would do for a video making rebar tongs is label it as a way to practice before moving on to  making a good set. At the beginning I would state that rebar isn't optimal for tooling and can even be unsafe. Then I would inform the viewer that what I will be showing is a guide to the techniques used to make tongs and a good material to practice with. My intro would have a disclaimer stating that blacksmithing, metal working, and machining is dangerous and that proper PPE is vital to the art.

Best response to date I've gotten on this forum! Thank you for the sound advice! I think rebar isn't the best option but either is eating fast food but we all do it.... and most newbs will grab rebar if that makes since any eyes I will look into the weldable steel while at the box store in the mean time this week will be a hand crank grinder restoration! 

pics removed just because they wasted space

Look for mud flaps lying along side the road. As I live in the middle of the oil patch their is a huge volume of truck trafic, the hangers are generally attached to them...

genesaika said the same things others have, he just candy coated it. He may have a higher social IQ than the rest of us but the fact our advice dosnt come with a spoon full of sugar doesn't invalidate it. If you need a spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down, buy all means pore yourself a thimble full.

so like TP, "at the big box store, of course" ilisits the thought, "why doesn't the average guy just buy the 4" chunks of A36 they stock?"

TP I have a hunk of 1" square laying around that I am itching to experiment with, as well as some 1" round of a later vintage. I have pig feeder with hunks that are just 3/4" round with fullerd notches every couple of inches as well. And a 3" square bar or a16 that is destined to be small anvils

Charles is right, all I did was rephrase what has been said. I have to thank you Charles for the compliment, even though I would beg to differ.

Want a more direct bit of advice from me? When making content for the masses don't target the "average guy" target the one who knows less. As a hobby I make video games and I always assume that my users don't even know how to operate a computer. Hold their hands and make sure you teach them the proper way to begin with. This has two advantages; it helps make your audience better informed and it helps to mitigate liability.

he was warned plenty of times since Saturday by myself and Glenn and other staff.  He has had too many warnings due to youth. its was stupid to think he would get away with any more much longer I cant seem to find any other word I can safely use for it

I think initially he posted trying to advertise, i'm sure every other forum on the net that's blacksmithing related got a similar thread.

If you want to make a successful channel in this day and age you need to rise above the chaff, not tell people "they don't understand the common man". Not that basic videos are inherently pointless, there's just so darn many of them already. 

American Piddler has been banned from the site for not following the rules of the site. After several warnings about language and name calling, the points added up to a ban. We wish him well. 

This thread is closed.

As a reminder, all material on IForgeIron is copyrighted with all rights reserved.