I Forge Iron

How to make a perfect forge weld, every time.

The September Equinox

There are two equinoxes every year – in September and March – when the sun shines directly on the equator and the length of day and night is nearly equal.

Seasons are opposite on either side of the Equator.  In the Northern Hemisphere, the equinox in September is also known as the autumnal (fall) equinox, and is considered the first day of fall. In the Southern Hemisphere, the equinox in September is known as the vernal (spring) equinox and marks the first day of spring.

Autumn Equinox 2018 will be 8:02 pm UTC Friday, September 22, 2017.

New York - New York Fri 4:02 pm

Canada - Ontario - Toronto, Fri 4:02 pm

Alaska - Anchorage Fri 12:02 pm

Vernal (spring) equinox – Southern Hemisphere

Australia - Victoria - Melbourne Sat 6:02 am

If you miss the equinox, there is another date that may prove useful. The Harvest Moon is the Full Moon nearest the September equinox, which occurs around September 22. The Harvest Moon is in the month of September, but around every three years, it occurs in October, as it does in 2017. The Harvest Moon is October 5, 2017. The Super Moon this year is December 3, 2017.

Set your alarm clock for 2018 as there will be a Super Moon on January 1, 2018, a Blue Moon on January 31, an equinox on March 20, and another Blue Moon on March 31, 2018.  The autumnal (fall) equinox is September 22, 2018 and the full moon is September 25, 2018.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closest I might be able to come is with a blade that looks like lava....quenched in Budweiser

How about quench through a prarie dog? 

I used to go up every summer with my grandfather and uncle a few hours east of you, between Medicine bow and Casper in the Shirley basin and shoot the little buggers to practice marksmanship. We would cull somewhere between 1500 and 3000 each year. My current personal long-shot record is 742 yards with a .223!

the big problem with quenching through a body is that a body is not a homogeneous medium and you wont get consistent cooling rates, so whether it is slaves or prairie dogs hitting a bone will warp the item. the organs all cool at different rates, not to mention if they were alive when you started they wiggle around a lot also causing more warpage. dont ask how I know this. ;)

I once did some research on the use of "full body quenching" and was amused that I could not find a culture that said "This is what *we* do!" but it always was "This is what our enemies do!"; the amusement was that for one example I was able to close the loop (a said that b, b said that c, c said that d and d said that a...)

Just using blood is touchy enough  since it sets up so fast and is a rather weak brine;  Theophilus' suggestion of urine works better but has such an amusing smell when you use it after it's gone a bit off. Researching history can get very weird indeed!

Man..... you guys joke but there's a real dandy on reddit spreading this misinformation to all sorts of newbies. telling them to align their forges and anvils to true north and claiming he can quench his high carbon blades in water using this technique, and has never cracked or warped a single blade despite having made many of them. Also spark tests are a waste of time in his opinion...

I was going to try a particular quench medium I heard about, but I'm having trouble finding a red-headed vegan.  I think that's who I'm supposed to follow around with a urine collection bottle anyway.  Or maybe it was red-headed virgin.   I get confused sometimes.

As I recall it was a "small red headed boy or a goat fed ferns for three days"  so both are omnivorous.  I once sort of qualified for the first and have been assured I would qualify for the second, nowadays, if I went to a fern diet...Of course out here in the desert we tend to run to a more concentrated "output" normally and so don't need to be quite so specific.

A quenching tale from the popular fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire:

Do you know the tale of the forging of Lightbringer? I shall tell it to you. It was a time when darkness lay heavy on the world. To oppose it, the hero must have a hero's blade, oh, like none that had ever been. And so for thirty days and thirty nights Azor Ahai labored sleepless in the temple, forging a blade in the sacred fires. Heat and hammer and fold, heat and hammer and fold, oh, yes, until the sword was done. Yet when he plunged it into water to temper the steel it burst asunder.

"Being a hero, it was not for him to shrug and go in search of excellent grapes such as these, so again he began. The second time it took him fifty days and fifty nights, and this sword seemed even finer than the first. Azor Ahai captured a lion, to temper the blade by plunging it through the beast's red heart, but once more the steel shattered and split. Great was his woe and great was his sorrow then, for he knew what he must do.

"A hundred days and a hundred nights he labored on the third blade, and as it glowed white-hot in the sacred fires, he summoned his wife. 'Nissa Nissa,' he said to her, for that was her name, 'bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.' She did this thing, why I cannot say, and Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon, but her blood and her soul and her strength and her courage all went into the steel. Such is the tale of the forging of Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

"Now do you see my meaning? Be glad that it is just a burnt sword that His Grace pulled from that fire. Too much light can hurt the eyes, my friend, and fire burns."

There used to be a video on YouTube (can't find it now -- may have been taken down) of some fool hiking out into a lava field and attempting to heat treat a sword by heating it in a lava flow and pouring a bottle of water over it. Let's just say there was some warpage....

Not to mention that lava tends to put out a lot of sulfur compounds that are damaging to steel when it's hot!

One thing to consider in "forging a sword out of previously broken blades"  is that it tends to lose carbon with the repeated re-welding and so a blade that may have been too brittle previously may end up ok after the carbon levels drop a bit.

This is of course opposite of common urban legends that forging and folding increases the carbon levels to which I point out that the master Japanese sword smiths often start out with material that is close to 2% C and end up with material that is 0.5% C and are considered very good at what they do.

When someone tells me that their blade was folded a million times I ask them if the smith died or radiation poisoning as the layers would have to be smaller than the iron atom...Usually easier to get across than the fact that folding usually decreases the carbon content and so excessive amounts can result in low carbon steel...

• 2 months later...

If you misses the super moon over the weekend, a series of three super moons will appear on the celestial stage on December 3, 2017, January 1, 2018, and January 31, 2018.

Take it to the forge and prove or disprove all the myths associated with the full moon. 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:03 AM, Charcold said:

Add on to that the misconception that each ripple in a pattern equals one fold, rather than stacking layers by folding multiple times

there is a large amount of people that want to believe,  I was a member of a facebook knife sales/trade group where a man posted his knifes was folded 4 thousand times or so, I pointed out the fallacy of this in addition that he was selling many of them for $40 each which barely covers scale loss, and I was banned for upsetting the poster.  go figure bi complaint held more weight that the people he was robbing. the day after I got a PM from the poster stating he got stuck with  a box of them and he was just trying to recover his money he lost on them., Admitting he was lying. but it still  he got me banned for his scam, Buyer bewaare

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

or just don't forge weld nekkid. :huh:

But what about static electricity from your clothing? It inhibits welds, you know.

The only way to forge weld while clothed is to align your natural charge with the ambient electromagnetic field of the Earth, in relation to the Sun, of course. This is basic metallurgy, guys!

Thomas, try mud. Keeps my fur from experiencing thermogenesis every time.