I Forge Iron

How to make a perfect forge weld, every time.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2017 at 6:09 PM, ThomasPowers said:

and the possibility that Frosty turns into a birch tree is pretty much self evident...take a good look at those cave walls and you might be able to find my portrait!  Steve's siberian tiger chops have got to be respected too. As for who is the were naked mole rat; well I promised never to tell...

A were birch, are you kidding?! A knot so fast were beaver maybe but I don't recall being bitten by a beaver. Pretty sure I'd remember that. . . Then again.

Frosty The Lucky.

39 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Naw, I LOVE moose bites: steaks, roasts, ribs, burger, sausage, it's all good. It's the moose kicking and stomping that can get in the way of continued . . . anything. About 30 seconds of Mother Moose tap dancing on you is inconsistent with life.

Conservation of mass would make me the itsiebitsiest were moose ever. Fish and game would put my in a petting zoo and feed me with a bottle. Not a bottle of Scotch either.:( I can just see waking up come sunrise standing buck naked in a pond surrounded by other orphaned moose calves. Now comes the BAD part. Wake up naked surrounded by 200 lb.  bottle babies! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

The PERFECT TIME for forge welding !!

This year, in 2019, the full moon supermoon comes less than 4 hours after the arrival of the March 20th equinox, making this the closest coincidence of the March equinox and full moon since March 20, 2000.

For the Northern Hemisphere, this March full moon ushers in the first full moon of the spring season; in the Southern Hemisphere, this is the first full moon of autumn. Enjoy the bright equinox full moon tonight, as it showcases the third and final full moon supermoon of 2019.

At US time zones, the equinox arrives on March 20, at 5:58 p.m. EDT, 4:58 p.m. CDT, 3:58 p.m. MDT, 2:58 p.m. PDT, 1:58 p.m. AKDT and 11:58 a.m. HST.

At US time zones, the full moon falls on March 20, at 9:43 p.m. EDT, 8:43 p.m. CDT, 7:43 p.m. MDT, 6:43 p.m. PDT, 5:43 p.m. AKDT and 3:43 p.m. HST.

• 1 year later...

Only 20 days left

In 2020, the autumnal equinox—also called the September equinox or fall equinox—arrives on Tuesday, September 22.  You can read the thread to catch up on perfect forge welds etc.  Only 20 days left to prepare.

And while we are talking about 2020,  the Harvest Moon Thursday, October 1, is defined as the full Moon that happens nearest to the Autumnal Equinox (September 22, 2020).  

The Hunter’s Moon is the full Moon that directly follows the Harvest Moon.  The Hunter’s Blue Moon will occur on October 31, 2020—Halloween night! 

I have to stock up on sage, catch that black cat roaming the neighborhood and perhaps prepare a sparkly tribute to gain the good will of the domestic goddess in preparation.. This leaves little time for anvil alignment and material preparation.. Thank you for the heads up. 

When October starts I'll be reading "One Night in Lonesome October" one chapter a night along with some of my grandkids!

37 degF, "feels like 30", when I got up this morning. Snow and winds gusting to 71 mph places north of me in NM.  Back up to 88 degF next week, sigh. I'm ready for fall!

So according to this thread,  I should start preparing for my first forge weld now.   Do the pagan gods need any liquid refreshments to help bless the mess I plan to create?  If so I'll run out and grab some New Glarus.  As for the anvil;  is that true north, magnetic north, or grid north?  Should I have bagpipes playing in the background?  What about hammer prep?  Should I soak the hammer in single malt scotch?  Where can I get some of that commet dust and does it make a decent flux?  Am I missing anything else?

Chad, this story has pretty much all the information you need (you may have to scroll down to read it).

I think that both the smith and the hammer could benefit from a light soak in scotch, but not so much that the authorities come from your chanting. That may distract your mental equilibrium at such a critical moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that my forge welds stick only when the humidity is under 60%. Anything higher and the moisture content of the ambient air effects the steel too much and the excess hydrogen prevents my forge welds from sticking. A full clear moon with low humidity and is must be cold rolled 1018. A36 will NOT forge weld at all due to it's high copper content and it is significantly harder to forge A36 over 1018. 

I do a 1.2.3 count followed by saying God is Great just before applying the hammer to the steel as I'm pulling it out of the forge to be forge welded. The mantra keeps me consistent and works as an internal metronome and gives me a rhythm to work with. 1.2.3 God is Great and my forge welds all stick AS LONG AS the humidity is under 60% and the steel is not A36. 

Agreed. Stop applying contrived rituals and practice the basics. As a FYI copper poisoning forge welds is a myth from who knows where, just as not being able to weld in a NA forge. 

What humidity? Unless you're trying to weld at temps under say 250f there isn't ANY humidity involved.

Frosty The Lucky.

Get a good hygrometer, a good digital thermometer, and a metronome, and you will be all set.  Wait for those certain conditions in order to make a forge weld in your shop, and clean up the backlog of welds that are by now stacked up in line.

Or prepare the forge, fuel, metal, etc to be welded.  Walk through the process until you get the dance right.  Go to the forge with confidence, and make the weld.

Not to mention that H2O is a byproduct of combustion.    So if you have issues on damp days what may they actually be caused by?  What flux are you using?  Does it tend to not cover the joint well when the humidity is higher? (Popcorn off?) 

For me having to wipe the sweat off my face might impede the dance.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, Steve Sells said:

First you said it wont forge weld at all, then you state it can be harder to forge than 1018 I call BULL 

A36 welds just fine and what copper or humidity problem?  don't be confusing your lack of skill with the ability's of others

I was only kidding with my post LOL. Sorry it didn't come off that way! 

• 11 months later...

Tonight Monday, September 20, 2021 is the full moon or Harvest Moon.

Wednesday September 22, 2021 is the fall equinox. 

That is just a couple of days left to get your forge welds to work before fall (or spring for those in the south).