I Forge Iron

Anguish of a vet.

Frosty

Last week a 91 year old WWII Veteran suffering dementia shot and killed his wife of 65+ years. He doesn't remember doing it . . . sometimes, he doesn't know why but he remembers when to the minute. He walked to a neighbor's with the pistol and some other random things to ask to use the phone and report he'd just killed his wife. There was nothing wrong with the phone in his home or the cell phone in his pocket.

He was arraigned on a murder 1 charge Thursday afternoon and was released to 3rd. party custody to await a psychiatric evaluation. Cameras were of course present at his arraignment. 

I have never seen such anguish in my life. His mind is going and he knows it, all he had left was his wife, pension and place to live. Now he has nothing but his pain. It's hard to type I'm so teared up. If the footage of him in the box at the hearing doesn't tear your heart out you have no soul. 

I'm not posting his name, God will know and he's not the only person, Vet and others in such all consuming pain. I ask you say a few words for their comfort. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We just lost our neighbor, Harry, who was 97 and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  His passing was sad but he was surrounded by his family.  I can't imagine the torment of having lived such an amazing life only to have things fall apart this way.  I trust his family will be there for him.

Prayers on the way for all involved Frosty. It sounds horrible and there are no words to explain those things. I feel really sorry for him. I can only think he would be forgiven in the afterlife and be at peace then. God help him. 

Dementia, especially Alzheimers, is a terrible way to die. For the patients, their family, caregivers. and all other people involved.

First degree murder requires intent, in most cases. It is a very difficult burden of proof to make out. It is especially so if it can be shown that the defendant did it in a state of little sentience, or no sentience. (for example while sleep walking etc.).

There is a good chance that a psychiatrist or psychologist can show that the individual was cycling through dementia  and occasional lucidity.

Given the perpetrator's advanced age, mental shock, and dementia,   he will most probably not survive to the day of a court's judgement

In any event Marg and I will offer prayers and intentions for all the people affected by this tragedy.

SLAG.

I strongly doubt there will be a trial at all but there had to be an arraignment and murder 1 is almost always the arraignment charge. If a trial date is set I believe there will be a strong public outcry in person on the court steps. I'll be there. When the judge ordered a psychiatric examination there were tears in his eyes.

I'm pretty sure we, the public not the gvt. are going to do as well by him as possible. 

Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your jail system has a bad reputation (at least here), so I don't know if he would be better in Jail where he can at least get decent health care or not. But over here, sometimes these old timers getting locked up means they will at least get the help and care they need, as against an uncaring overworked, useless public health system.

I hope he gets whatever is best for him, it is obviously a tragedy, not a felony,  and his lucid moments are going to be terrible for him, and their family must be devastated.