I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to post bad news in such an uplifting topic thread, but I wanted you all to see my wonderful friend Buster Posey, who we lost to cancer a few days ago. He was a five week old, $20 brown mutt we found through Cragslist. We got to spend nearly 11 years with him, which is nowhere near enough. We miss him so much.

I made a marker from tin-plated copper plate salvaged out of an industrial switchgear and a steel rod. I dug far enough down in the packed red Georgia clay to plant the largest tea olive we could find available over his head to shade him through his long rest. I look forward to seeing him again on the other side.

buster grave marker.jpg

buster grave.jpg

Buster in shop, feb'24.jpg

Buster in shop, jan'24.jpg

So sorry to hear this.  It is our curse to outlive our friends and families, both human and furry.  But I am convinced that they will be there on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.  Expect Buster to be there waiting for you and asking what took you so long and did you bring treats.

Sadly,

George

Hard news Brother, hard. I've been there more times than I care to count and will be again. You can introduce us when I cross the Rainbow Bridge, I'll introduce you to my many old friends. Expect a major PARTY! We can all jump, run, dance and bark together and know what the other is saying!

Be well Brother, you gave Buster Posey a good 11 years as he did you. I envision Buster, Abby, Bolo, Burin, and heck everybody telling funny stories about us while they run and chase around the other side.

I have to stop or I'll be crying.

Frosty The Lucky.

George, Frost, Das, thank you for the kind words, I needed them. He was as good a dog as anyone could hope for. This one hits a little hard for me. We got him shortly after I separated from the Army and right before my wife and I got married, so it's like a major chapter of my life just closed, well before I was ready.

I didn't have any dogs growing up because my Mom was scared of them. Partway through my enlistment, I was "voluntold" into my unit K-9 section and was assigned my first dog. He and I were together for three years and as many deployments, but that was more of a working relationship. Buster was my first dog who had no responsibilities other than companionship. I currently have another dog and will likely have many more through the coming years, but Buster will always hold that special place for me.

I can't wait to see him again and meet all of y'all's good boys and girls that have gone on before. I hope y'all don't mind one more picture of Buster helping me unload some good scrap.

buster in truck_small.jpg

You can't bother us with pictures of happy dogs, even ones who've crossed over. to be honest I'd rather look at Buster's picture than yours, him I'd like to hug and even allow to lick me. But YOU?!?!:o

In truth I'd give you a hug and help you cry right now. Just because I try to lighten things doesn't mean I take them lightly.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree with Frosty.  Buster looks like he is "snoopervising" to make sure that you do it right.

Here is a link to a photo of a scout dog and his handler that worked with us in Viet Nam, early 1971.

https://www.charliecompanyvietnam.com/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_id=26406&member_id=5514692

In this gallery are photos I took in the bush in Viet Nam 1970-71.  I was Platoon Leader of 1st plt, C 1/12 Cav, 1 Cav Div (airmobile).

G

I appreciate the support guys, really. I was in the shop today working on a welding project and it was very strange and kind of sad to not have him coming over to check on me every so often like he used to. It's very bittersweet but I know he feels much better now.

George, some cool pictures there. I'll try not to hold your commissioned status against you haha. That quad .50 setup is pretty nice. Also, how did that boar taste? When I was stationed at Ft. Benning (now Moore), we encountered plenty of wild hogs all over the base. I've eaten my fair share of them. We rolled up on a herd of about 50 once during a night training exercise and had to go the long way around to the target. Not something you want to face down when all you have is blanks.

Mothman,  I have always had an appreciation for scout dogs and their handlers.  They kept us out of a couple ambushes and once allowed us to ambush the ambush.  Also, when not working the dogs were friendly and were a bit of "The World" (home).

IIRC the boar was very tasty and a nice change from C rations and LRRPs.  

The quad .50 (aka the popcorn machine) was working over the area below the firebase because movement had been spotted.  We did get one secondary explosion in the area.  So, the NVA had been planning something.  I either don't recall or was never told if subsequent patrols found any bodies or other evidence.

When I look at myself in the photo and then look in the mirror I realize what a long, strange journey it has been.  And I always remember the guys who weren't as lucky as I was and didn't get to come home, grow old, raise a family, become a blacksmith, and be posting to IFI.  RIP, shoulder brothers*.

GNM

* The Anglo-Saxons called the man who stood beside him in the shield wall "shoulder brother."

Those pictures have a lot of meaning insight and put things only mentioned into context George. Thank you for sharing. Really brings home what you guys dealt with if only a fraction of the times you had the leisure to even take a photo.  

Das, true dat.  The only "combat" photos I took were of the quad .50 because while we were in contact I was pretty busy directing the platoon and calling in artillery and air strikes and talking to my higher ups.  Any photos were taken during quieter times.  I also have a bunch that are more "touristy" which I took later in my tour when I was a Brigade S-5 (196th Light Infantry Brigade, part of the Americal Division) up around Da Nang.  The bush photos were taken about along the border of II Corps and III Corps area at the southern end of the central highlands.  Looking out from the fire bases it was as flat as Florida or Kansas in one direction and in the other the terrain looked like an unmade bed.

I guess that I'll carry the shame of being an officer to my grave ;-).

G

Garryowen, boss. I'll tend to take an officer that's at least seen the elephant, and for preference gimme a mustang if you can find one. Too many slick-sleeves out there at the top of things. My first thought on that quad-50 was "Holy crap, they're using an anti-aircraft for anti-personnel. There won't be enough Ziploc baggies in the world."

For the Mothman, my condolences. Hard to lose the good ones.

George, absolutely no shame in who you were,are or what you did. You experienced a great deal of things. From the man I know it made you a great person. I appreciate all the knowledge and friendship you share here. 

I know what you  mean by turning and expecting your buddy to be there when s/he always is only to realize with a catch that s/he's gone over. I can't talk about any of the many times I've held him/er while the drugs take them down or I'll start crying. . . again. It hurts but it's our last and maybe best show of love to let them go when it's time. I want the last thing they hear this side to be my voice telling them I love them and they're a good dog. 

Frosty The Lucky.