I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

While not really shop dogs they are fine companions. We spent a week middle in Seward last week. While better known for being rainy we enjoyed 3 straight days of sunny and warm. Foggy and overcast till it burned off about 9-10am then mid high 60s and sunny till sunset. Baxter is 12 and likes a blanket and lap to thoroughly enjoy the sun but Ronnie is 4 so sun and dry grass is enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not sure what we're looking at, neighbors probably.

BaxterandISeward04.jpg.004750f05b08919f55638de8666256dd.jpg

Ronnie showing off her sunny day expertise.

RonnieinsunnySeward.jpg.1035403b66f46011b868392d2b6eb075.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's Baxter and I. The blanket is for him, he's 12 and there's always a breeze, high 60s is a bit cool out for him. 

Good call Scott, Ronnie has her priorities straight.

Here's a pic for you John. The Coast Guard makes regular visits. 

I'm not sure exactly what the facility on the far shore is but I believe it's a boat yard that services all sorts of boats from sport boats to barges. Spring Creek correction facility is to the right and back a piece from the white structure. 

Frosty The Lucky.

CoastGuardcutterSeward.jpg.46252675bf61d1a9c2e450327e180b7c.jpg

About three weeks ago I found an injured kitten, his tail and leg was torn up. So the vet amputated his tail and fixed his leg. He is fine now. It is amazing how quickly the cats heal. So we got a new boy.

IMG_20230710_192644831.jpg

IMG_20230703_071617400.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Henry doesn't seem too worked up about getting his picture taken. Eh? Cats are known for adopting anybody who feeds them. All our cats opted into our family this way or came from litters born there. Almost nobody neutered pets when I was a kid, horses are different, nobody wants a stud horse around if they're not breeding.

Rescue cats usually make an extra effort to prove their worth to a new home, family, clowder, etc. so they're usually affectionate, good mousers, etc. And like rescue dogs they never forget.

Good on ya Billy, thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

We are involved with a local cat rescue. There was 10 or so that like to hang out around here and in the barn. Most have been "fixed" but there are still 2 females that i know of that are not. Today the ladies from the rescue are coming to get one of  them, we call her Betsy, an get her fixed. One of our other rescues, Friar Tuck, is her brother. They were born in our barn. She was the only one of the litter that did not get taken to be adopted. Not that nobody would take her we just could not catch her at that time. She is now a freindly thing that likes coming up on the porch for head rubs. They will also be taking her 3 new kittens to get them adopted. One of which we did not think was going to make it and spent a night in the house getting bottle fed. Much stronger now and is doing good it seems. 

This is her 3 new kittens in the water melon patch. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d63f10aeb3615d8b7abab6dd15a80e0a.jpeg

The one is actually much whiter but they were in my shop and they got a bit of coal dust and soot on them. 

Heh, heh, heh. Our upstairs closet cat Qiviut is the last of 3 litters born amongst the hay bales in our barn. Deb spent weeks sitting on the hay shelf and feeding him till she got him gentled enough to bring in the house. He was pretty un-adoptable it takes lots of work to gain his trust so we kept him. 

Our vet still tells stories about his first vet visit. We waned them repeatedly not to just open the kennel door or he'd be out like a shot. Well, they're professionals and we aren't, He took over the examination room by running laps around the crown molding if anybody tried to get close. Two of the techs were pretty badly mauled during his initial escape. After a couple few hours one of the senior vets was called in and trapped him with a flung blanket. They sedated him before opening the kennel again, THEN they examined, vaccinated, and neutered him. He was in perfect health and as noted on his records has REALLY wicked talons instead of claws. Trimmed while out cold.

As he grew we realized he not only had Maine Coon colors he was the right size weighing about 19lbs. kind of heavy looking but not fat. He talks like a Maine Coon, even has that little bark-like vocalization.

We haven't kept a barn cat since rehoming the last of the livestock in the freezer so all our current critters are house critters. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We have a new addition amongst much turmoil and busy-ness

Meet Artie and Gabby.  Gabby isn't so much new, he came with the house.  shortly afer we got moved in a nd the fence started, Gabby turned up and started to be very nice and talkative.  And He would very thoughtfull leave me leftovers from things he would kill.  Last fall we brought him inside, because he seemed to be slowing down a bit, and wasn't coming out on top every time with other cats.

Artie is a little guy, and still somewhat skittish.  Not entirely sure how old he his.  Vet says a couple of years, but he still looks like a kitten  We had to use a live trap to catch him because he got a nasty wound from something.

IMG_20230613_185100313.jpg

IMG_20230825_110907501.jpg

hammock.jpg

Those 3 little kittens in my watermelons are now residing in my house. The TNR ladies never showed up to get them and now that it is getting colder out the wife says we need to keep them inside. May be a good thing though. They are getting house broke and more domesticated. They do have appointments coming up at the vet to get their shots and if old enough neutered. My mom says she wants one of the kittens, finally talked my dad into it, and if i know her, her logic is going to be she cant take one becuase it will miss its sibling and if she takes 2 then the one that is left will miss its siblings so the only answer will be take all 3. 

The mother cat, Betsy, looks like she is with kittens again.  However if the kittens are born in the barn in late November i dont give them good odds of surviving the winter.  Dont get me wrong, it is a barn and there is nooks and crannies with plenty of straw where they can find shelter. 

Paul, good on ya helping out an injured little guy. 

We hope we don't come across too many others.  we already have 10 of them.

The weird one has been Gabby (named from the frontier gibberish guy in Blazing Saddles  He is easily twice the size of most of our cats, and yet he has been the most gentle and polite cat we've had in a long time.

Artie is not quite acclimated to the rest of the cats.  It's a work in progress.  we let him have most of upstairs at night and he roams the whole house while we are awake to listen for fussing and fighting.