I Forge Iron

Setting up your shop on the cheap (real time)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot me a PM if you are thinking of working Wed or Thursday in the shop. I'm busy with work Sat thru Tuesday at the moment, but if I'm not working, maybe I'll take a drive and give you a hand in the shop. Don't hold off waiting for me though, if it doesn't work this time, we can get together again some other time when our schedules match up.

11 hours ago, arkie said:

To uncoil a spring, I usually just measure around/along the spring for the length I need, cut it off and straighten that piece out...much easier!

Me Too!  Far too much work to straighten the whole thing when I only want 6 to 10" plus harder to store when straight. 

Hey guys, lets keep it on topic, this is afterall how Pete is setting himself up not about how you would have done it better. And both of us were half a case deep and just screwing around at the end of a long day so I think it was well worth the "effort". :) 

-J

19 hours ago, arkie said:

To uncoil a spring, I usually just measure around/along the spring for the length I need, cut it off and straighten that piece out...much easier!

But doing it that way deprives folk of seeing the look on folk's faces when they see how much stock is in a garage door spring.

Oh come on JW, we're still "pretty close" to on topic. You wouldn't really deprive us of good entertainment would you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's some more of what I got done today. I started a new coal forge build more suitable for working larger and longer stock (think gates and fences). The table is a 3/16" thick and roughly 5.5'X2.5' with some 3" X4" angle wrapping most of it. The legs are thin walled round tubing. It is 175 lbs of steel from a local scrap yard which cost me $50. I used $6 in cutting wheens and approx  $5 in welding wire. This same forge can be built via drilling and bolting if you don't have access to a welder. I still need to fabricate the fire pot and twuyer. The hood was free salvage. Cost was $61 total. This was paid for from an order for a hammer and a pair of tongs I'll make later this week for $230. I put $50 into the pot for fuel and abrasives. This leaves my total loss/gain from this shop build at +$144. 

Side note, to the hammer winners I will get to forging them by the end of the week and pm you for your mailing addresses. Stay tuned. 

FB_IMG_1453170536030.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, currently I'm laid up in bed. I threw out my back again due to a chronic condition mixed with working 14 hours a day 7 days a week. There is no easy way to support yourself while still only moderately known as a Smith. Constant work/upgrades/internet presance work. I was building a new power hammer when my back went out. It's a 65 lb air hammer. We have spent about $400 USD on the build. JWS has some pics of it. Other than that it's been a shuffle of "make money to spend d money to make more money". I haven't gone thru my receipts lately to calculate my gain/loss but I would say at this point I am still in the black. When I am healed enough to walk on my own I'll get some pictures of the shop and all the tools I have built for myself. There has been a whole lot of shop maintenance time spent as well. Moving things around to make the shop more efficient/less cluttered between myself and J. I'll do my best to keep things updated. It is exhausting to keep myself afloat out the gate as expected. It happens but I'm too stubborn to fail so I'll make it work no matter what. 

Ouch. Hope you recover soon hate to hear your down and hurting. 

The power hammer sounds like a sweet deal can't wait to see pics of that bad dude..... no hurry, you get better so we can see some more of that sweet metal work you do! Until then rest up and come up with lots of glowing red ideas!